Introducing Pike into a lake.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Introducing Pike into a lake.

Post  Al on Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi all , I'm was wondering if anyone has any information on introducing pike into a lake .The lake is approximately 3 acres and is part of the club I'm a member of. For a few years the lake has had problems with over population of silver fish . The lake has been netted a couple of times and fish removed,but the problem returns ,recently Aerators have been fitted to try and get more oxygen in the water. I think the place cries out for the introduction of predatory species to keep the silver fish in check ,and balance the water out a bit ,but I could be wrong . The  trouble is I can't seem to find much information about this can anyone help ?

Thx in advance AL....

Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Introducing Pike into a lake.

Post  rozzo on Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:25 pm

sounds like pike heaven,, contact the ea and see if anywhere local need pike re-homing
rozzo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:14 pm

You need permission from the EA to move any fish.

psion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:05 pm

pike do not respond well to being moved into a new water. only reason i would move a pike is if i thought it was in danger of being killed for sure.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:12 pm

You need permission to move from from any water to another water Please read here >>> Permission to move live fish to or from a fishery

Is it worth the risk doing it without permission Question Question Question Question Question

If you introduce fish without consent you may be prosecuted and fined up to £50,000

Adie
adie1200
Admin

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:40 pm

adie1200 wrote:You need permission to move from from any water to another water Please read here >>> Permission to move live fish to or from a fishery

Is it worth the risk doing it without permission Question Question Question Question Question

If you introduce fish without consent you may be prosecuted and fined up to £50,000

Adie
seems crazy adie if your poaching and take pike out for consumption ,, nothing happens even if you ring the EA
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:56 pm

Its sad but true Stubbo Shocked Shocked Shocked They never seem to be around when they are needed and phoning them in my experience is a waste of time Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:13 pm

adie1200 wrote:Its sad but true Stubbo Shocked Shocked Shocked  They never seem to be around when they are needed and phoning them in my experience is a waste of time Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
same here adie........ Evil or Very Mad
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:02 pm

I'm sorry but this just isn't true. Most times, if the EA don't turn up, it's because the person reporting did something wrong. If you ring the wrong number no-one will come, if you pull in a net or a longline then you've destroyed the evidence and again, they won't come. I've rung them several times and I know other people who have followed the correct procedure and they always call you back and often will turn up at the scene. They are operating with a skeleton staff and they are spread very thinly so the information has to be spot on to make them drop what they're doing and come to you.
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:03 pm

With regard to the original question, three acres is quite a small water and you might be better using another predator such as trout or perch to control your population explosions. Talk to you EA fisheries team and they will give you good advice. They're there to help, we pay for the service through our rod licences.
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  piketastic on Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:11 pm

Just to point out though Mr Edwards , Adie and Steve both said " in their experiences " . . . . I have called them once (The EA) and they did attend in Lincolnshire a few years ago which I was grateful for . But that's just my experience , on that occasion the EA did an efficient job as promptly as possible.
piketastic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Al on Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:15 pm

Thanks for the replies I assure you everything would be done properly the EA are actually quite helpful around here. I was really only asking if anyone had any experience of introducing predators into a lake, there just does not seem to be much information on the subject ,and I just thought it may be a better long term solution
                                                                                       .....cheers Al...

Al

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:13 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:I'm sorry but this just isn't true. Most times, if the EA don't turn up, it's because the person reporting did something wrong. If you ring the wrong number no-one will come, if you pull in a net or a longline then you've destroyed the evidence and again, they won't come. I've rung them several times and I know other people who have followed the correct procedure and they always call you back and often will turn up at the scene. They are operating with a skeleton staff and they are spread very thinly so the information has to be spot on to make them drop what they're doing and come to you.

So it isn't true then Eric ? you must be calling me a liar then as I've said before when I caught some none English people fishing illegally  I phoned the EA while they were fishing the river Don out of season and gave them the exact location and description and reg of the car they were using and all the other information they wanted and told them I would hang about so I could point them in the right direction and they said one their local blokes would be there as soon as possible so I waited and waited for 3 hours all told but they didn't show and the poachers packed up and left as they could see I was watching them as I moved closer when I realised no one was coming Rolling Eyes  So I left at that point and forgot about it after telling a few mates !! then two weeks after I got a phone call from our local EA bailiff asking me were the blokes were fishing that I had reported Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes  he got a few choice words !
And on another occasion on our local pond when Kell and another lad were fishing there were 4 polish blokes fishing with minimum tackle and they were putting everything they caught in a bag so Kell phoned the EA and they weren't interested he also phoned the police and they weren't interested and as they were out numbered by the poles who were big lads Kell and  his mate didn't push things too much and after a while they left !
If you say I didn't do things right then I will take it as a big insult Rolling Eyes
I think you should get your facts right before making comments like that !!
Maybe they are good where you are but they aren't around Doncaster ! Maybe just Maybe things have improved  since then as I have not had the need to report anyone since ! although I have moved a few on that were fishing where and when they shouldn't be
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:15 pm

adie1200 wrote:Its sad but true Stubbo Shocked Shocked Shocked  They never seem to be around when they are needed and phoning them in my experience is a waste of time Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Ok, in your experience it's a waste of time, I apologise Adie, I'm in the wrong. I never called you a liar, I wouldn't want to inflame our discussion here, I'm really really sorry.

I'll keep calling them, and they always come for me.
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:17 pm

I'm really really sorry I insulted you, I never wanted to do that. I just don't thin we speak the same language, I'm the one in the wrong, bye all.
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:19 pm

You see, all I really wanted to do was to explain to people that they should use the system we have, if people keep saying the system doesn't work then they won't use it and so the system truly will never work. It's just my way of doing things but it doesn't fit well here, I'm sorry.
Eric Edwards

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:26 pm

I hope that doesn't mean you leaving us that would be a shame.

psion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:48 pm

Eric its the way you Sometimes put things i'm glad the system works really well were you are or is that because you know the local EA bailiffs ?
It doesn't mean it works the same everywhere as it hasn't around Doncaster ! Maybe they have sorted it out now i hope so ☺
I don't want you to leave i have a lot of respect for you and think you have a lot to offer ☺
Its up to you but please remember its very easy to say things that can be taken the wrong way maybe there was no intent to pt anyones backs up i don't know !
Anyway lets leave it at that and move on 😊😊😊
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:05 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:You see, all I really wanted to do was to explain to people that they should use the system we have, if people keep saying the system doesn't work then they won't use it and so the system truly will never work. It's just my way of doing things but it doesn't fit well here, I'm sorry.
eric I have phoned the EA on 2 separate occasions and I have to admit nothing came of it pal that's just my look on it, and a few years ago I was fishing pennington flash this eastern guy had a good double in a plastic carry bag walked pass me and a ranger on there , he said it was better to forget it .....come on what chance have the pike got...... not having ago but they did a friend of mine who came with me fishing once because he had 3 rods and only one licence .....he only cast it out to check his float cocked ok .....the officers were hidden in the bushes behind us .......but never there when needed that's my storey muck.......sorry I sound a bit bitter but my mate had not been out fishing for years due to his wife having cancer ....which I tried to tell one of the officers but he was not having it Evil or Very Mad
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top