PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treble hook opinions

+2
rozzo
D@veG
6 posters

Go down

Treble hook opinions Empty Treble hook opinions

Post  D@veG Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:00 pm

What treble hooks are you guys using using for bait fishing? sizes 2 and 4 are what I normally use and have to say theres some rubbish out there. Iv had hook prongs snap off Owner ST`s and just got some 30+ heavy duty Trebles which look ok but its not the thickest wire and Im wondering if they could straighten out with good pull, so what do you recommend?

D@veG

Back to top Go down

Treble hook opinions Empty Re: Treble hook opinions

Post  rozzo Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:48 pm

hi m8
2's are a bit big i reckon,, i use partridge pike x semi barbless and the biggest size i use are 6's they do the job fine. i got some nice hooks off fleabay for cheap and they seem really good but i forgot what they are called,, again semi barbless
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  D@veG Thu Jan 28, 2016 4:58 pm

rozzo wrote:hi m8
2's are a bit big i reckon,, i use partridge pike x semi barbless and the biggest size i use are 6's  they do the job fine.  i got some nice hooks off fleabay for cheap and they seem really good but i forgot what they are called,, again semi barbless

I tend to use big baits like whole Mackerel, whole blueys etc with the 2`s which dont look big on baits of that size and baits in the 7-8 inch range with the 4`s and I strike straight away

D@veG

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:29 pm

I have used partridge and Owner and Fox hooks are very good. I use size 4's and size 2's on big baits.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:41 am

sometimes use no 2...reds. on a single hook rig .... Very Happy roving on float style
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  D@veG Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:37 am

Just ordered some Fox Rage Predator Powerpoint X-Strong trebles, i`ll let you know what I think of them when they arrive.

Dave

D@veG

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:05 pm

D@veG wrote:
2's are a bit big i reckon,, i use partridge pike x semi barbless and the biggest size i use are 6's  they do the job fine.  i got some nice hooks off fleabay for cheap and they seem really good but i forgot what they are called,, again semi barbless

I tend to use big baits like whole Mackerel, whole blueys etc with the 2`s which dont look big on baits of that size and baits in the 7-8 inch range with the 4`s and I strike straight away
i use full macks etc too,,, on lures you need big hooks as the take is kinda hectic,,, with baits its different and i think massive hooks put them off,, just my opinion Cool
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  D@veG Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:13 am

rozzo wrote:
D@veG wrote:

i use full macks etc too,,, on lures you need big hooks as the take is kinda hectic,,, with baits its different and i think massive hooks put them off,, just my opinion Cool  

Opinions are what im after Rozzo we dont have to agree so thanks for the input,

D@veG

Back to top Go down

Post  dave van dessel Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:02 am

I use gamakatsu
They have great strength for their wire thickness and they stay sharp
dave van dessel
dave van dessel

Back to top Go down

Post  D@veG Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:05 am

dave van dessel wrote:I use gamakatsu
They have great strength for their wire thickness and they stay sharp

Thanks Dave

D@veG

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:33 pm

D@veG wrote:What treble hooks are you guys using using for bait fishing? sizes 2 and 4 are what I normally use and have to say theres some rubbish out there. Iv had hook prongs snap off Owner ST`s and just got some 30+ heavy duty Trebles which look ok but its not the thickest wire and Im wondering if they could straighten out with good pull, so what do you recommend?
this is just a thought , when you buy some hooks they can be to strong , as some hooks wont bend out of a snag , which means you snap off leaving a baited rig in the water which could kill a pike,,,,, just a thought, myself lately have bought some cheap red treables from china...and to be honest well chuffed with them as I have not lost a fish to bending out yet .....and when snagged they do bend out hence 80lb braid Shocked
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  D@veG Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:46 pm

stubbo wrote:
D@veG wrote:What treble hooks are you guys using using for bait fishing? sizes 2 and 4 are what I normally use and have to say theres some rubbish out there. Iv had hook prongs snap off Owner ST`s and just got some 30+ heavy duty Trebles which look ok but its not the thickest wire and Im wondering if they could straighten out with good pull, so what do you recommend?
this is just a thought , when you buy some hooks  they can be to strong , as some hooks wont bend out of a snag , which means you snap off leaving a baited rig in the water  which could kill a pike,,,,, just a thought,  myself lately have bought some cheap red treables from china...and to be honest well chuffed with them as I have not lost a fish to bending out yet .....and when snagged they do bend out hence 80lb braid Shocked

You make a good point there stubbo, I know someone who wanted to know how much pressure we exert when pulling hard on a fish so he did an experiment.

He attached a set of scales to a fence then attached his line to the scales and pulled hard on his rod right down to the butt and had his mate look at the reading...it went 5lbs

Basically the rod acts like a huge spring and it shows how little pressure we actually exert on a fish, hard to believe I know but he reckons its true and did the test several times.

Iv had strong trebles start to straighten on a big fish which I almost lost so I tend to go for as strong as I can, its a conundrum for sure Shocked

D@veG

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:24 am

D@veG wrote:
stubbo wrote:
this is just a thought , when you buy some hooks  they can be to strong , as some hooks wont bend out of a snag , which means you snap off leaving a baited rig in the water  which could kill a pike,,,,, just a thought,  myself lately have bought some cheap red treables from china...and to be honest well chuffed with them as I have not lost a fish to bending out yet .....and when snagged they do bend out hence 80lb braid Shocked

You make a good point there stubbo, I know someone who wanted to know how much pressure we exert when pulling hard on a fish so he did an experiment.

He attached a set of scales to a fence then attached his line to the scales and pulled hard on his rod right down to the butt and had his mate look at the reading...it went 5lbs

Basically the rod acts like a huge spring and it shows how little pressure we actually exert on a fish, hard to believe I know but he reckons its true and did the test several times.

Iv had strong trebles start to straighten on a big fish which I almost lost so I tend to go for as strong as I can, its a conundrum for sure  Shocked
should of added that it depends on the type of water you are fishing if you snag up regular the softer option would be more fish friendly..... just my thoughts on this , but for this to work you need some good quality braid........ power pro 50lb plus

don't think I have had a treble straighten out on a fish when it has all been set up correctly.ie drag
maybe you have snagged up when playing the fish and not known it.....or really,really crap hooks

stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  D@veG Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:57 am

I didnt snag up on the fish im talking about it got caught several times by mates as well as me and was an absolute brute of a fighter which I had at 31.06 so it was exceptional.

The hooks were size 4 Eagle claws which are probably a medium wire and I was using 50lb braid

D@veG

Back to top Go down

Treble hook opinions Empty trebles

Post  coops440 Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:34 pm

vmc in 4s black nickel semi barbed and ashimas in size 4 and 6 black nickel semi barbed. these are the mutts and proper,proper sharp. the best thing about them as previously mentioned is the fact they bend out of snags when required,.
i don't think I've ever left a trace in a snag in the last 15 plus years. if any one is searching go to tacklebargains .co.uk and look for trebles. super cheap about £20-00 a hundred hooks!!! a bit less than the owners methinks! Embarassed

coops440

Back to top Go down

Treble hook opinions Empty bending strength

Post  coops440 Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:37 pm

got to agree 100 percent with dave on the scales test. we did exactly the same think with my mates cat rod and.......................the max you can exert is a gnats over 5lb. good job it wasn't a bet as i would have lost! What a Face

coops440

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:06 am

just be aware that if a hook has already been bent and you bend it back ,, it will be knackered, it will bend out of a good fish ........you lads will probably know this anyway.

just wondered how many lads on here regularly change there hooks out

I have a good stash of traces made up at home and just swap them out when damaged, could mean the difference of losing that fish of a life time.. me thinks
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:07 am

coops440 wrote:got to agree 100 percent with dave on the scales test. we did exactly the same think with my mates cat rod and.......................the max you can exert is a gnats over 5lb. good job it wasn't a bet as i would have lost! What a Face
what line are you using pal
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  coops440 Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:03 pm

was quite a while ago now but i think it was 50lb braid or something very similar

coops440

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:14 pm

D@veG wrote:
stubbo wrote:

Iv had strong trebles start to straighten on a big fish which I almost lost so I tend to go for as strong as I can, its a conundrum for sure  Shocked
I know where you are coming from , but if you think about it that cant be a true scenario because them scales are fixed in one position.... and a pike pulling in all directions if very different plus you would not be locked up on the clutch , but true you would think it would be more than 5lb before the hook failed.......
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  D@veG Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:27 pm

stubbo wrote:
D@veG wrote:
stubbo wrote:

I know where you are coming from , but if you think about it that cant be a  true scenario  because them scales are fixed in one position.... and a pike pulling in all directions  if very different  plus you would not be locked up on the clutch  , but  true  you would think it would be more than 5lb before the hook failed.......

5lb of pressure is the maximum amount of pressure that was being exerted because the test was done with the rod pulled round to the butt or fully locked up so in reality the amount of pressure put on a fish during a fight would be less, yes i`d agree that the amount of pressure would be changing as the fish lunges but how many times do our rods lock up under full pressure? hardly ever I would say.

D@veG

Back to top Go down

Post  dave van dessel Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:46 pm

Thing is
You have to take into account the difference between braid and mono
Hooksize because a smaller hook has thinner metal but also less leverage
The rod itself because a parabolic 2,5 pounder is no stiff 3,5 pounder
Having said that results will be different for everyone
So I don't really see the relevance
Of testing when the hooks bend,
Because in the end it also depends on
where in the mouth the hook sets
And how many hooks catch hold

I just recommend you use a hook your confident in and replace them regularly
And so what if you lose a good fish
There is no guarantee that it would not happen with different hooks
Let's not forget they have a hard mouth and sometimes the hooks just can't find a good place to dig in
dave van dessel
dave van dessel

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down