Cracking end to a failed pike day

Go down

Cracking end to a failed pike day Empty Cracking end to a failed pike day

Post  J Robinson on Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:45 pm

I've been struggling to get to grips with piking on a new water locally to me, having only had a 7lber yesterday and blanked this morning. Faced with the prospect of another afternoon of no pike, I packed up the rods and switched to 6m pole on one of the smaller ponds for general coarse fishing. I figured, it's November, carp are unlikely, but I'd be happy with some perch and the occasional skimmer. Being in Central Scotland, carp fishing can be difficult, even in summer.

But seeing as it's been really mild for the past two days, the carp were fairly well switched on and four hours on double maggot, size 18, 0.13 line and restrained feeding produced 12 carp (average just under 2lb), 14 perch and 2 skimmers. I think the bump in temperatures combined with the almost total lack of fishing pressure meant hungry carp. Lost a handful more too.

Wish I'd been on there all day.

Any hints for winter carp/silvers fishing?

Another water I fish more locally to me is set up as a rainbow fishery. You get a few talented fly anglers there, but most just powerbait in the hope of clopping some poor, unsuspected stockie on the head. I'm about the only person that fishes for the roach (and occasional tench) in there. Thing that confuses me is the total absence of larger roach in winter. Summer roaching, especially on sweetcorn will regularly result in 8-15lb bags of 4-12oz roach, with the occasional fish around a pound. However, in the past 5 weeks (and 7 sessions) I've had over 1500 roach and all but one of them were a maximum of 1.5oz. It's a deep water (45ft in places - old quarry) and I wonder where on earth they go. All that happens is that I end up bashing these stupid little roach at a rate of about 1 a minute (sometimes even quicker) and get the odd rainbow and brownie (largest so far this year was a 4lb 15oz brownie on a size 24 hook!). I usually approach this water with pole, fished hard to the bottom at 8-18ft, usually with maggot as sweetcorn produces nothing. Can't feed the swim much as it's not really allowed. Any suggestions welcome!
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Cracking end to a failed pike day Empty Re: Cracking end to a failed pike day

Post  BoydBowen on Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:28 am

it's November, carp are unlikely.  Being in Central Scotland, carp fishing can be difficult, even in summer.Wish I'd been on there go fishing, Recently I like fishing. When I'm at rest, I would come up with my Fully Waterproof  Targeting Pinpointer.( i bought from the kingdetectorl) You will, I am sure, have a lot of fun and enjoy some new adventures in like.

Last edited by BoydBowen on Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total

BoydBowen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:16 pm

Sorry mate can't understand most of your post Shocked Shocked Shocked
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:15 am

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
adie1200 wrote:Sorry mate can't understand most of your post Shocked Shocked Shocked
that's cracked me up adie
stubbo
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down