Fishing Canal Problems

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fishing Canal Problems

Post  HDangler on Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Hey guys, this is my first post after just signing up.

I have been pike fishing on Huddersfield canal for the past couple of months and have had a bit of luck but mainly blank days.
I have tried dead bait on float and luring with jerk and swim baits. i start around half 2 every day as i walk the canal from work and take a light tackle bag and rod and spend till about 5 or 6 most days but recently been blank days.

I use mackerel,sprats or sardines on a double triple hook tracer for my dead baits

I use a variety of lures such as the fat bodied beaked bright coloured ones, life like rubber 3 piece lures, beaked 5 piece and soft.

Since the beginning of november i have been stopping after work every day for these few hours and only caught 2x 5lb, 1x 2lb and a baby. Thats over 60 days and only 4 pike, can you guys help?

I have been normal course fishing for years but this pike game has me hooked, i cant stop trying to catch another but they don't seem to turn up Sad

The areas i fish have lots of locks,barges and warehouses with not a lot of feature areas and about 1 foot on the margins to about 4 foot in the middle.

What ever questions,info or answers you have will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: and thanks for having me on here, this will be my new home for pike online.

Last edited by HDangler on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:22 pm; edited 2 times in total

HDangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Fishing Canal Problems

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER on Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:27 pm

welcome to the sight mate. firstly i have removed the name of the canal as we have a no naming waters rule on here. that out the way, are you sure better pike live in the canal? have you seen others catch good size pike. have you tried fishing at first light with deads? if your not catching in the afternoon maybe they are feeding in the morning.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HDangler on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:53 am

Thanks for the edit mate.

I have seen people up and down the canal picking decent sizes out, even a 20lb. Its not the size i care about too much, every pike is as amazing to land as another, it just seems to be dry all the time and i put my work in. I havnt tried dawn or dusk as doesnt go with my work times. I have tried both dead bait and luring near the edges,side of barges and through the middle. Is dropping the dead bait in an area with under water weeds or open in plain sight? when luring is it best at the margin or right across or down the canal?

Thanks for the reply.

HDangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER on Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:28 am

cant help with lure fishing, not my thing bud, but a dead bait in cast out for 15min is plenty of time for a run, cast a dead out on a float while lure fishing, cast the deads to edge of weed beds and along barges, anywhere a pike could ambush from.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HDangler on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:31 pm

Hi mate. I tried your ideas and still nothing. i moved around a bit and tried different areas with different dead baits.

I bought some sardines and herring on my way back, got some of my flavour glug i used for boilies from my carp trips last years and scored the fish with a knife and rubbed into and over the fish and returned to the freezer, lets see if that makes a difference. Very Happy

HDangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:10 pm

HDangler wrote:Hi mate. I tried your ideas and still nothing. i moved around a bit and tried different areas with different dead baits.

I bought some sardines and herring on my way back, got some of my flavour glug i used for boilies from my carp trips last years and scored the fish with a knife and rubbed into and over the fish and returned to the freezer, lets see if that makes a difference. Very Happy
try dyeing your sprats red...... it works for me on my canal areas but like the guys say move every half an hour ..... cast one to the far bank and one under your feet .....
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi mate and welcome to our forum Very Happy
When you are dead baiting what setup do you use ? and where are you setting the bait at ? mid water ? bottom ? or near surface ?

This is my favourite float setup you need a stop knot on the line above the float or a ledger stop that will move up and down to set the depth with a bead below and then the float this one is a fox pencil float and then another bead below the float then a free running weight then another bead then your snap tackle ( hooks ) this is a float ledger setup  Very Happy  to fish it set the stop knot at the depth you think it may be cast it out without bait if it lays flat on top its set to deep set the stop knot lower and try again until the float sits upright in the water about mid way up the float when you get to this point push the stop knot up about 6 inch put your dead bait on and cast out when its settled the float should be laying flat on the water or almost flat then set your rod on your back sticks and wind the line in until the float sinks so its just showing about 2 inch or just so its leaning over this is up to you which way you prefer and wait for a run hopefully  Laughing  Laughing  when you get a run the float will either pop up and lay flat or slide away depending on how the pike takes it pull into it as soon as you can and hopefully you will have a pike on  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
adie1200
Admin

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  HDangler on Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:35 am

Thanks for the reply guys.

I use a line through float with ledger at the bottom and one heavy ball under the float. I usually cast into the middle or near a barge, Wheres best?

I havnt thought of dying the fish, is red the best colour for pike?

Luring is still not working, had 1 turn on my lure at the edge but didnt take, i know they are there, just not having it for some reason.

HDangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:19 am

HDangler wrote:Hey guys, this is my first post after just signing up.

I have been pike fishing on Huddersfield canal for the past couple of months and have had a bit of luck but mainly blank days.
I have tried dead bait on float and luring with jerk and swim baits. i start around half 2 every day as i walk the canal from work and take a light tackle bag and rod and spend till about 5 or 6 most days but recently been blank days.

I use mackerel,sprats or sardines on a double triple hook tracer for my dead baits

I use a variety of lures such as the fat bodied beaked bright coloured ones, life like rubber 3 piece lures, beaked 5 piece and soft.

Since the beginning of november i have been stopping after work every day for these few hours and only caught 2x 5lb, 1x 2lb and a baby. Thats over 60 days and only 4 pike, can you guys help?

I have been normal course fishing for years but this pike game has me hooked, i cant stop trying to catch another but they don't seem to turn up Sad

The areas i fish have lots of locks,barges and warehouses with not a lot of feature areas and about 1 foot on the margins to about 4 foot in the middle.

What ever questions,info or answers you have will be greatly appreciated.

Edit: and thanks for having me on here, this will be my new home for pike online.
ive been using a drifter float set up on the canal i fish ive caught 3 times this week 1 good fish the rest jacks.ive been fishing boat yards as its wear all the bait fish are shoaling up at this time of year.try just getting to the boat yard type of areas and try fishing a small bait such as a sprat or small roach something very silver and shiney as canals are murky water ill try and get u a picture of a drifter float set up.
silkmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen on Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:21 am

silkmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HDangler on Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:45 pm

Been out again today and nothing. Dead bait (Sprats) at my feet in the canal and not a nibble. the lure is still drawing blanks.

Match fisherman on the other side were complaining the pike were pulling on there keep nets trying to get the fish lol.

Need to think of something else Sad

HDangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikeyjoe on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Have you tried simple wobbled or twitched dead bait? I've found it can be much more effective than both lure fishing and static baits. My favourite is a sprat, just stick a swan shot above it to aid casting and away you go. If you know areas that bait fish are being caught, you can target those areas.

Good luck.

Joe
Pikeyjoe

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen on Sun Jan 15, 2017 6:40 pm

HDangler wrote:Been out again today and nothing. Dead bait (Sprats) at my feet in the canal and not a nibble. the lure is still drawing blanks.

Match fisherman on the other side were complaining the pike were pulling on there keep nets trying to get the fish lol.

Need to think of something else  Sad

sounds like you need to try live bait where the match men was fishing pal.
silkmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 7:18 pm

When you are lure fishing try letting it slowly sink right to the bottom and retrieving it very slowly stopping every few seconds to let it slowly sink and repeat this all the way in changing the time between letting it sink and starting winding slowly again taking as long as about 15 seconds to one turn  of the handle and maybe a occasional twitch of the rod to put a bit of life into the lure 😊
just keep at it changing retrieve speeds and depth and trying to put some life into it and you will get it right sooner or later 😉
Also as Joe said try sink and draw it can be a deadly method and as  silkman said live bait if its allowed can outfish most other methods but make sure you use a up-trace to avoid bite offs as the bait trys to escape by swimming upwards and the pike taking it with the line also  😆
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HDangler on Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:52 pm

ill give that wobbling with a sprat tomorrow, do i retrieve it like a lure or simply pull every now and then.

Cheers for the lure advice, i do try slow as possible but ill try slower, i use swim bait and crank baits so should be fine.

HDangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:02 pm

HDangler wrote:Been out again today and nothing. Dead bait (Sprats) at my feet in the canal and not a nibble. the lure is still drawing blanks.

Need to think of something else  Sad

Try fishing where the match was , as the guys said pike where in that area , pike are usually drawn into the area following the roach and bits feeding on the groundbait ...... the bites will come .having said that I have blanked for the last 6 sessions pal so don't get hung up over it.....sometimes they just wont have it muck
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:46 pm

HDangler wrote:ill give that wobbling with a sprat tomorrow, do i retrieve it like a lure or simply pull every now and then.

Cheers for the lure advice, i do try slow as possible but ill try slower, i use swim bait and crank baits so should be fine.

As the name says sink and draw let the bait sink to the bottom then give it a little flick to make it jerk upwards then let it settle back down keep repeating this and also between flick wind in a few turns on the handle oh and put the hooks in the other way round from how you put them in for deadbaiting so the bait is swimming forwards as it should Thumb up
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HDangler on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:10 pm

Thanks guys im gonna give this wobbling a try tomorrow see how i get on,

Do you mean turn the fish around not the hooks, as in first hook through the mouth and second through the tail?

HDangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:13 pm

Yes like this
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:15 pm

You can lip hook it as well and also you could use a large single hook in the lip instead of a treble and maybe have the back hook set I little further back
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HDangler on Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:38 pm

Cheers mate, ill get back to you tomorrow on my results.

HDangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:09 am

Good luck mate Very Happy hope to see some photos from you soon smile smile
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HDangler on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:12 pm

Hey guys, Nothing as such today aside from my float went under, maybe a fish caught the line and no marks on returning it to the surface.

I have got some sprats today in a sandwich bag with red dye in, ill give that a go tomorrow.

As for wobbling, thanks for the advice i caught something.....A 25cm 3D line thru by Savage Gear Laughing

HDangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:19 pm

Well that's better than nothing lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!
These are good lures as it happens Very Happy might be worth giving it a try smile smile
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HDangler on Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:49 pm

Hey, Yeh they are cool, i have the 20cm albino trout version, who ever lost that was fishing for a monster.

Ill see if my spinning rod will take the weight, its a bit lump of a lure.

HDangler

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top