Pike growth rate

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pike growth rate

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:12 am

Does anyone have any idea what kind of rate pike grow at? I go fishing at a local trout fishery in which 7 pike appeared about three months ago. They range from 2lb to 9lb, though mostly 5-7lb. They appear to have grown 3/4 to 1lb each so far, or thereabouts (though I've not caught the largest one yet). They have an almost unlimited food supply - the roach are epicly prolific (I've had 925 roach across 3 days this past week) and there are obviously a lot of stocked rainbows. I am hoping that they don't start taking them though, as it will be my guts for garters! That being said, when you get the muppets who kill the trout and then leave them on the bank, I cut the trout in half and chuck them in the for the pike.

Just curious as to how big they could get in the next year or two? It's only a small water, stuffed to the gunnels with prey fish.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Pike growth rate

Post  lowdouble on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:27 am

A very good water, and it sounds like yours is will do 4lb+ a year. Thats for a double figure pike really though. those fish could be 20 in 3 short seasons. Keep your eye on them☺
lowdouble

View user profile http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:47 am

The good thing as well is that apart from the first week where I think three were caught, they've generally kept clear of the trout anglers. I get them now and again on deadbaits, and whilst they occasionally have trout flies in their mouths, they always seem to snap the fly fisherman off (despite not being that large). I'm quite excited to see how large they get. The brown trout introduced 8 months ago have been growing very quickly.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:11 pm

J Robinson wrote:The good thing as well is that apart from the first week where I think three were caught, they've generally kept clear of the trout anglers. I get them now and again on deadbaits, and whilst they occasionally have trout flies in their mouths, they always seem to snap the fly fisherman off (despite not being that large). I'm quite excited to see how large they get. The brown trout introduced 8 months ago have been growing very quickly.
if they don't get to much angling pressure they should do well, does the owner of the fishery knows he has pike in his trout water or was they intentionally stocked into the venue...by the owner of coarse:
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:25 pm

Intentionally, with the mind to stock a few more if possible. 15 would be a good number. The roach numbers in there have to be seen to be believed. On a hot summer's day when they bask, up to 1/3 of the total area of the lake will be covered in roach at perhaps 30-50 odd fish per square metre (so maybe 55000-90000 fish visible). A few trout fisherman have grumbled, but most appreciate how irritating the roach can be (especially in summer) and want them reduced.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:27 am

J Robinson wrote:Intentionally, with the mind to stock a few more if possible. 15 would be a good number. The roach numbers in there have to be seen to be believed. On a hot summer's day when they bask, up to 1/3 of the total area of the lake will be covered in roach at perhaps 30-50 odd fish per square metre (so maybe 55000-90000 fish visible). A few trout fisherman have grumbled, but most appreciate how irritating the roach can be (especially in summer) and want them reduced.

wait till the pike get to a size they can take a trout.... , then they will pack on some weight, but probably feed less....
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:04 am

stubbo wrote:
J Robinson wrote:Intentionally, with the mind to stock a few more if possible. 15 would be a good number. The roach numbers in there have to be seen to be believed. On a hot summer's day when they bask, up to 1/3 of the total area of the lake will be covered in roach at perhaps 30-50 odd fish per square metre (so maybe 55000-90000 fish visible). A few trout fisherman have grumbled, but most appreciate how irritating the roach can be (especially in summer) and want them reduced.

wait till the pike get to a size they can take a trout.... ,   then they will pack on some weight, but probably feed less....

The trout are stocked at about 2lbs, though the occasional one is under that. There are thousands of larger roach in there too - I've had them up to 1lb 5oz.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:39 am

The experts say one kilo a year but in your water with at much prey fish it should be a lot more

psion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Well I've had one now at 10lbs, and a different angler had one on the fly that he swears was well over 10lbs (why didn't he weigh it?!).

They are certainly much fatter than in October. Much much fatter.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top