Anybody Catching

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Re: Anybody Catching

Post  lowdouble on Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:02 pm

2 hard days for me too, 6 jacks to 9lb from waters where a few doubles are almost a certainty. Its COLD!!!!!!
lowdouble

View user profile http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:22 pm

lowdouble wrote:2 hard days for me too,   6 jacks to 9lb from waters where a few doubles are almost a certainty.  Its COLD!!!!!!
noticed the fishing has started to slow up , temps are very low and the wind is very cold when its at your face  affraid
but piking is for real men....... fishing
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wynne on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:44 am

Had a day back on one of the more prolific club waters last weekend too see whether I could end the run of blanks I'd found myself on. With it being a Saturday I expected a few on but was pleasantly surprised when I pulled up at an empty lay-by next to the water.

I headed straight to the peg where I've caught on my previous visits and had the rods in just as it got light. I didn't have to wait long for the first fish and soon had a nicely coloured Jack of about 5Lbs on the mat. Bites were steady through the morning with a further 4 fish up to 9Lbs 6oz falling to either Herring or Bluey, nothing massive but good sport in the shallow clear water.

Between 12:30 and 13:30 I hit a right feeding frenzy with both rods going off at the same time no less than 3 times, it was literally a case of hit one run, feel that the fish was there, then put it back in the rod rest with the bale arm open and then hit the run on the other rod. The only thing was I cocked up and proceeded to suffer hook pulls on 5 of the fish before managing to land one  Embarassed Maybe I should have put the bait-runner on a fairly tight setting and left the fish to do its own thing instead of the open bale arm technique I used, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Sport dropped off then and I had a couple of dropped runs before managing another fish before the runs dried up altogether.

Although I suffered a few hook pulls it was still an enjoyable day and with 7 fish caught on what was a very cold day, I'd class it as a good days sport. A few pictured below  Very Happy

9Lbs 6oz -the biggest of the day

Smallest of the day about 4Lbs

Distinctive gill marks
David Wynne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:06 am

David Wynne wrote:Had a day back on one of the more prolific club waters last weekend too see whether I could end the run of blanks I'd found myself on. With it being a Saturday I expected a few on but was pleasantly surprised when I pulled up at an empty lay-by next to the water.

I headed straight to the peg where I've caught on my previous visits and had the rods in just as it got light. I didn't have to wait long for the first fish and soon had a nicely coloured Jack of about 5Lbs on the mat. Bites were steady through the morning with a further 4 fish up to 9Lbs 6oz falling to either Herring or Bluey, nothing massive but good sport in the shallow clear water.

Between 12:30 and 13:30 I hit a right feeding frenzy with both rods going off at the same time no less than 3 times, it was literally a case of hit one run, feel that the fish was there, then put it back in the rod rest with the bale arm open and then hit the run on the other rod. The only thing was I cocked up and proceeded to suffer hook pulls on 5 of the fish before managing to land one  Embarassed Maybe I should have put the bait-runner on a fairly tight setting and left the fish to do its own thing instead of the open bale arm technique I used, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Sport dropped off then and I had a couple of dropped runs before managing another fish before the runs dried up altogether.

Although I suffered a few hook pulls it was still an enjoyable day and with 7 fish caught on what was a very cold day, I'd class it as a good days sport. A few pictured below  Very Happy

9Lbs 6oz -the biggest of the day

Smallest of the day about 4Lbs

Distinctive gill marks
good fishing pal , I noticed on my water where the pike are prolific , a lot of the pike were barely hooked just with one treble in the tip of there mouths , and had a lot of pulled hooks , you can go smaller with the baits and smaller hooks does help, but sods law you will hit a biggy.... and probably have a hook pull because there to small.... at least there having it pal........
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wynne on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:02 pm

Same on the venue where I was fishing, all very lightly hooked on 1 hook with the other treble flying loose. All good runs though, with the line banging out the clip and line peeling off, they just are taking there time before swallowing the bait. Too be honest it makes it a hell of a lot easier when they are like this as unhooking is a doddle and it means minimum handling for the Pike.
David Wynne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:18 pm

David Wynne wrote:Same on the venue where I was fishing, all very lightly hooked on 1 hook with the other treble flying loose. All good runs though, with the line banging out the clip and line peeling off, they just are taking there time before swallowing the bait. Too be honest it makes it a hell of a lot easier when they are like this as unhooking is a doddle and it means minimum handling for the Pike.
very true , I just shake them off in the water if they are very small ........say under 3lb ish:D
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:22 pm

lowdouble wrote:2 hard days for me too,   6 jacks to 9lb from waters where a few doubles are almost a certainty.  Its COLD!!!!!!
same here Andy , all jacks for me and the doubles either fall off at the net .....but only 1 double showing per session for me
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble on Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:04 pm

I am planning to be out the next two days, if tomorrow is poor it will be one day stubbo lol
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:47 pm

lowdouble wrote:I am planning to be out the next two days,   if tomorrow is poor it will be one day stubbo lol
think the temps and this cold wind is having an impact on the fishing, seem to do better on a cloudy day without the wind as of late what's your ideal day Andy for a days pike bashing........
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:43 pm

My ideal day is any day I can get out when I'm feeling ok lol
Not been right since my heart attack in May last year Rolling Eyes and now I've been told I'm anemic Shocked I've either got a internal bleed somewhere or for some reason I'm not absorbing iron affraid feel like shit most of time anyway lol I'm out tomorrow for the first time in ages smile
adie1200
Admin

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Wed Jan 10, 2018 9:54 pm

adie1200 wrote:My ideal day is any day I can get out when I'm feeling ok lol
Not been right since my heart attack in May last year Rolling Eyes and now I've been told I'm anemic Shocked I've either got a internal bleed somewhere or for some reason I'm not absorbing iron affraid feel like shit most of time anyway lol I'm out tomorrow for the first time in ages smile
hi adie
lets hope your on the mend pal........  you just need a big fat pike to sort you out muck , think its forecast light winds and sunshine so should be ok pal.....good luck Very Happy
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:02 pm

Cheers Very Happy I know there's a few been out lately where i'm going any will do But I don't mind pulling a 30 out lol! lol!
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  The Otter on Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:18 am

adie1200 wrote:Cheers Very Happy  I know there's a few been out lately where i'm going any will do But I don't mind pulling a 30 out lol! lol!

I know where a few have been being pulled out close to us, i was out on the water on Sunday and will be heading back out this weekend on Sunday on the boat and on the bank on Monday. Very Happy
The Otter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:37 pm

Good luck Chris Very Happy Very Happy I've just been talking to the bailiff and he told me there's been a 27lb pike out just up from where I'm fishing plus he told me about a 34lb one coming out not too far from me on this water Very Happy Very Happy It's always the same lol they are always in other spots away from where I'm fishing lol
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:57 pm

Frozen, frozen, frozen.

7 weeks now I've not been able to get onto my usual venue due to ice. No let up in sight as there is likely to be 3 inches on it presently and with forecasts for low winds, little rain and 0-4c, I can't see it melting any time soon.

Winter piking in Scotland is either a miserable affair due to be battered by rain and wind, or just impossible due to ice.

I envy you lot down south!
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Otter on Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:38 pm

adie1200 wrote:Good luck Chris Very Happy Very Happy I've just been talking to the bailiff and he told me there's been a 27lb pike out just up from where I'm fishing plus he told me about a 34lb one coming out not too far from me on this water Very Happy Very Happy It's always the same lol they are always in other spots away from where I'm fishing lol

You are at place that i am thinking of. I will be back there at the weekend. Have a good one a get a crock lol
The Otter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:15 pm

BLANK!!!!!! well that was a shit day, 4 rods trolling for around 8 miles, not a touch. freezing fog all day and not a breath of wind. the first time in years the braid froze to the spool and the bait runner froze affraid affraid affraid

My Ideal conditions are rising temps, SW breeze of 10mph ish and an overcast sky. Perfect for my waters stubbo Very Happy but i can blank on days like that too Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  psion on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:33 pm

I am going to wet a line tomorrow first time this year.

psion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:44 pm

Hope you have better luck than us psion was
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

whats happened to the six fish per session a couple of weeks ago..

Post  stubbo on Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:54 pm

been out today on an estate lake .... not a sniff and not a single fish on the waterwolf ....Sad  not even bait fish
mind you the temps are lower than last week just above freezing today , compared to 5-7 above a few weeks ago ... boat
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mal wynne on Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:54 pm

I think the low water temp is deffinately makin it hard , so I,m going grayling fishing on saturday just to have a chance of catching something

mal wynne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:19 pm

mal wynne wrote:I think the low water temp is deffinately makin it hard , so I,m going grayling fishing on saturday just to have a chance of catching something
probably you would be better in the river for pike pal the stillwaters and lakes are dead at the moment , the temps are getting up next week 9-10 so should fish well Very Happy
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:30 pm

J Robinson wrote:Frozen, frozen, frozen.

7 weeks now I've not been able to get onto my usual venue due to ice. No let up in sight as there is likely to be 3 inches on it presently and with forecasts for low winds, little rain and 0-4c, I can't see it melting any time soon.

Winter piking in Scotland is either a miserable affair due to be battered by rain and wind, or just impossible due to ice.

sell up pal, and move to warmer climates , that's the answer depends on work , family, money oh and the fishing and don't forget the wife will want a say.....
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:43 pm

stubbo wrote:
J Robinson wrote:Frozen, frozen, frozen.

sell up pal, and move to warmer climates , that's the answer depends on work , family, money oh and the fishing  and don't forget the wife will want a say.....

Haha! A man after my own heart. It's already planned for next year, though the move is to Germany. A wealth of fishing opportunities there. They get a sharp winter, much colder than us, but it doesn't last that long. I'm happy to look out the window at frost and snow for a couple of months if I know that's our lot. Winter is a solid 5 months long in Scotland.
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:14 pm

Well day two was a little better, I changed from trolling to static and drifter from the boat. 9 pike landed to 16lb (3 doubles) and lost a good fish too. Nice day after yesterdays struggle Very Happy
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 34 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 40  Next