Piking will return this winter but it's carp on the surface for now!

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Piking will return this winter but it's carp on the surface for now!

Post  J Robinson on Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:07 pm

10/07/2017 - local quarry. 0400 to 1300. Rain, easterly breeze building, cold.

2 fish all morning at 0900 and 1000. Very tough with not many other bites.

12/07/2017 - local quarry. 0400 to 0930. Wonderfully calm, 8c start, 18c finish. Occasional sun.

Beautiful weather, but terrible fishing! Had an aggressive bite from a nice male tench on the drop at 0530 and two other relatively minor bites. Nothing else at all.

I'll be moving swims, but I have to do a bit of work (raking) on where I'm planning to go. The fish are rather hook shy in my swim Laughing

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:02 am

13/07/2017 - local quarry. 12c start, completely calm, warming to 18c. 0415 - 0915.

Tried a different swim with no success. Moved over to the normal peg just before 0600 and had one female tench at 2lb 3oz. Nothing else though.

Went to work for a bit to collect firewood for the house. Discovered one of the guys had cut 1500 worth of timber at the wrong thickness yesterday. Didn't put me in the best mood. Went home, dropped off the firewood, the other guy that works for me unhitched the trailer but failed to remove the plug for the electrics. I drove off, plug ripped off. At that point I thought, sod it, going fishing again.

So over to Magiscroft for some carping. The warm, bright conditions (20c) didn't last that long, but managed a total of 6 commons and 2 F1s to about 7lb. 2 off the surface with dog biscuit, 2 stalked from the margins on hair rigged sweetcorn, 3 on method feeder and a final fish on float fished sweetcorn. Not bad, but could have been much better had the weather been kinder. It rained quite heavily in the evening.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:42 am

16/07/2017 - local quarry. 0400 to 0945. 12c rising to 16c, WSW 5 m/s though partially sheltered. Occasionally bright, tiny bit of drizzle at one point.

Another single fish session. A female tench at 2lb 9oz (plus a tiny perch earlier). I had bites across all three rods for about an hour (though very minor bites) before landing the fish. Pretty sure it was the same fish, as nothing at all for a couple of hours after. Had a couple of knocks just before leaving, but that was it.

The kingfishers were extremely active at dawn today. I always count how many times I see them, and this morning was 15. They (two birds) spent a while sat on the mini cliff to my left side. Lovely to watch.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:50 pm

17/07/2017 - local quarry. 0400 to 0745. 13c rising to 18c. 6 m/s westerly. Overcast early on, bright later.

Too windy really. And no fish. Not sure that I even had a bite. Two rods on sweetcorn hair rigged and one on hair rigged prawn. First blank on the water if you discount the session where I couldn't get this peg and the session where I tried pole.

Must rest it for a week or two. Addictive personality means I keep persisting though!

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:00 pm

17/07/2017 - Magiscroft. 21c. 4-5 m/s westerly and calming. 1700 to 1900. Sunny.

My wife had a migraine so I took my three year old daughter fishing for carp. She watched some cartoons on the phone and showed a bit of interest, but not much. The lake was busy, the ripple was a pain and the fish were tricky. Had one mirror at 10lb 6oz off the surface, but nothing else.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:27 pm

18/07/2017 - Magiscroft. 1300 to 2200. 24c to start, cooling to 17c. Stiff easterly.

Tough day. Pegged up on the wrong end (leeward rather than windward) and struggled to get anything out of the margins or off the surface due to ripple on the surface. Managed 5 in total, with one out the margins, two on method feeder and two from the surface. Snapped off by one on the surface due to light hook link (they were shy biting today, so tackled down). Largest 7lb 10oz.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:17 pm

20/07/2017 - Parkley (local trout fishery), 1215-1615. 4-5 m/s westerly, 15-17c, overcast mostly.

Very quick session trying the sliding float rig (waggler) that I use for the tench, but instead for the perch. Only fishing as staff member called in sick and there isn't much I can do sawmilling wise without staff.

53 perch to about 6oz, mostly on maggot, some on worm. 3 rainbows, another 2 lost.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Jul 23, 2017 11:29 am

23/07/2017 - local quarry. 0430 to 0945. Almost dead calm with light air from north east. Threat of rain, heavily overcast. 14c

Gave the swim a rest for a week but with little effect. A few very quick bites on sweetcorn, but nothing I could hit. A lot of small perch in the swim, so trawled through 25 of them before being able to chuck a worm out. Not long after that had a smallish tench about 1lb 12oz. No other tenchy bites at all, implying that this lone fish was responsible for all preceding bites. 28 small (and I mean from 2-4" - truly tiny) perch too.

I'd popped down last night spinning to get a small pike for my newly converted to cold water 6ft aquarium. I got one of the perfect size (12-13") and it's already eaten a 4" perch that was put in with it. I've two other perch at about 7" in with it. Plan is to get a couple of small mirror carp and that's it. It's fascinating being able to watch a pike side on though Very Happy

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:14 pm

24/07/2017:

0430 - 0730 - local quarry. Bright sun and calm, 14c start, rising to 16c.

Too bright and blanked. A couple of minute bites. Tried worm, maggot, corn, pellet and prawn. Nothing.

1845-2015 - Magiscroft. 21c, 3-4 m/s westerly, bright sun.

Very quick session to show Ross how to floater fish. He eventually got one at about 5lb once I sorted his strike out. I had two at 7lb each, lost another 3 and loads of takes. The floating line is making all the difference.

Back to Magiscroft tomorrow afternoon.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:30 pm

25/07/2017 - Magiscroft. 1230 to 2200. Dead calm. 17-19c. Overcast.

Not a bad session today, but frustrating. Had 9 carp, but lost loads, including at least 4 doubles (2 snap offs, a hook pull and a hook bend). Still a bit inexperienced, so learning as I go, but the 8lb floating line is great for getting the takes, but not really strong enough for 15lb fish intend on drawing you over abrasive drop offs. Stepping up to 11lb.

Had fish at 13lb 9oz, 9lb 7lb, 8lb 14oz, 8lb 8oz, a couple at 7lb, one at 6lb, two at 5lb.

Had them feeding superbly off the surface with floating pond pellets. Going to employ a bolt bubble next time, size 8 rather than 10 hooks and the stronger line.

The weather forecast for the next ten days is crap, but I'll try to get out again. I'm done on tenching for some time now.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:53 am

27/07/2017 - Magiscroft. 1830 to 2140. Slight westerly, but mostly calm. Torrential rain show lasting about 25 minutes at 1930. Half an inch of rain I'd guess. Overcast otherwise. 17c.

Just a short session to test the bolt bubble set up and also the centrepin for the margins. The bolt bubble worked quite well (though lost a fish to a know failure - I just don't get on that well with eyed hooks) and I had a common and a mirror, the first at 9lb 3oz and the second 9lb 4oz on pop up boilies on the surface. Fish were feeding reasonably well towards the end, but time was called about 15 minutes earlier than I'd expected, which was damned annoying.

No chance to put the centrepin through it's paces as the fish didn't really come into the margin.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:49 am

30/07/2017 - Magiscroft. 0900 to 2130. 14-19c, heavy showers at times, occasionally sunny. Almost completely calm.

Mediocre day, entirely down to weather. Until about 1100 it was quite good and I had 6 fish off the surface in that time (nothing over 7lb). It took me the rest of the day to get the remaining 5, with two coming after 2030. Overall, 9 off the surface, two on method feeder.

If we actually had some summer weather I could see myself having a 25-35 fish day, but this dreary crap is wrecking the fishing.

Largest fish was a nice mirror at 7lb 12oz (final fish) off the surface. Ross did well and had 8, with about half from the surface, half on method. He had his first experience of losing a fish too large to control. It charged across the lake and the hook pinged out. It's all a learning curve.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:15 pm

01/08/2017 - Magiscroft. 1700-2130. Light easterly. 19c dropping to 14c. Sunny intervals.

Not a bad session at all. Plenty of fish in the swim, but a lot of F1s (mostly too small for floaters). Had 5 fish in the first hour, with an unprecedented double hook up (on floaters, one came off). Bit slower after that, but still ended up with 10 fish (2 of which were F1s, overall average about 5lb). No large fish in the swim that I saw.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:46 pm

02/08/2017 - Magiscroft. 1800 to 2130. Light easterly, 16c cooling to 13c. Overcast but only stopped raining a few minutes before arriving.

Not a great session. 4 fish off the top in the first 90 minutes and then nothing. 2 commons, 2 F1s. All fish taken on foam imitation pellet (recycled foam ear plug from work, trimmed to size).

This cold, rainy, crappy weather is ruining the fishing. The F1s seem to be more active than the carp when it's cooler, and it's certainly that at the moment.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:59 pm

05/08/2017 - split shift tiddler fishing. 13-18c over the course of the day. Sunny intervals and some very heavy showers. 4 m/s WSW

Hopetoun - 0530 to 0745.

Crap. Haven't been for 5 weeks, and the water is still knackered (algae). 80 small roach, no tench, only one roach that was hand sized, no trout. Can't be bothered with Hopetoun, and won't return until winter. I'm curious to see how large the pike will have grown over the summer. There have been one or two rainbows caught with bite marks, so they could be growing quite rapidly.

Parkley - 0830 to 1815, but out for lunch with family 1400 to 1615.

Some heavy showers but quite steady on perch for most of the day. Hadn't intended to stay past midday, but was just packing up when a dad and his boy (quite inexperienced) turned up so I helped them for a while (leaving them my rod and tackle whilst out for lunch). The lad got his first ever fish (a perch) and his first trout too. They were very happy, and it was nice to help them out. Just over 100 perch in total (I caught about 85 of them) and I caught 3 rainbows that I'll admit I targeted on freelines worm section on a size 14. They were being very fickle, yet feeding just under the surface under my rod tip. They wouldn't take anything with a weight or float attached, but the worm worked well.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:56 pm

08/08/2017 - Magiscroft. 1000 to 1830. Hot. Bright sun for much of the day, minimal wind, up to low twenties, but felt hotter.

Quite a poor day. Had 5 carp pretty quickly early on, but then spent the rest of the day fighting to get a bite and only had one more. Actually left early, which I never do. I was only fishing floaters for the bulk of the day, but did put the method feeders out for a bit. I always feel that the first day of a sudden change in weather puts the fish down, even if it is to good weather.

09/08/2017 - Selmwood. 1930 to 2130. Dead calm, 19c dropping to 15c. Clear.

Just thought I'd try floaters up at Selmwood but pointless. No carp on the surface at all and no bites.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:45 pm

12/08/2017 - Parkley. 0815 to 1515. Mixed weather. 12c start, 16c finish, persistent rain for first hour or so, occasional sun, mostly cloudy. NW 3 m/s swinging around to W 4 m/s

Pretty slow day on the perch today. Fishing with Ross and we had just shy of 60 between us. All small. I had 4 rainbows, Ross 3. Ross lost a further fish. Western pond seems to have completely died for perch now, possibly due to increased algae (not bad by any means).

Either way, nice relaxing day pottering away catching a few perch. Too cold to do anything else, and not wanting to stray too far from home now as Kathryn's due date is today so waiting for 'that call'!

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:20 pm

13/08/2017 - Magiscroft. 1730 to 1950. Almost completely calm, mostly bright, 19c. Nice weather.

I went up for a couple of hours with my 3 year old daughter whilst my wife was sorting things out pre new arrival (I was there for longer, but only fished for 2 hours). Nice evening to be out, but it was quite cold last night (7c) and it knocked all the fish down. I've fined down my end rig (though still haven't found a line I'm happy with for lighter work) and hookbait, so now a size 16 and a 10mm boilie or similarly sized soft floating pellet. Had 5 F1s to 3lb off the top, 3 on pellet, 2 on boilie. Given that I saw only 2 other fish caught between the 6 or 7 anglers I could see from my peg, I felt quite pleased with myself. I did feel bad for the chap next to me who was starting to pack up as I arrived (having blanked on a full day) and I got the first F1 30 seconds into the session on the first cast! Good fun, but if I am targeting F1s, I'm going to lighten the mainline and rod as the 2.5lb TC carp rod is total overkill.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:51 am

14/08/2017 - Magiscroft. 1730 to 2045. Heavily overcast, 17c dropping to 15c. Drizzle and heavy showers mostly.

Surprised to have a very good session. Wandering around the lake I found two groups of larger carp in the margins. Both happy to feed on floating pellets. Had commons at 7lb 2oz and 9lb and mirrors at 6lb 13oz and 10lb 13oz. Would have had a couple more before it died off had I not invited another angler to use my other surface rod. Two of us in the swim spooked them. That will teach me to be generous.

I was surprised that they fed so well in the rain. All caught on light gear too (medium feeder rod to bolt bubble and 10mm pop up, size 16 hook and 6lb line) so great fights.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:48 pm

15/08/2017 - Magiscroft. 1800 to 2120. Wind swirling in from the north, but a SW in actuality. Calm to finish. 19c dropping to 14c. Cloudy.

Continuing the theme of sneaking up to Magiscroft for a few hours every night until the baby is born, I headed up this evening. It was by all accounts a very tough day on the main loch, and I'm lead to believe only 5 carp were caught all day. I had a further 4 off the surface, but they were not easy to come by. The wind direction was pushing the feed pellets back into the bank, and whilst the carp were happy to feed on them, they spooked very easily. Each fish caught killed the swim so there was a lot of walking. I had two commons around 5-6lb, a minute F1 at not much more than a pound and a lovely mirror at 7lb 12oz to finish. I didn't lose any fish and would have been hard pushed to have caught more.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:33 pm

16/08/2017 - Magiscroft again. 1700 to 2040. Shitty weather. Strongish SW 7 m/s (though swirling from other direction at the loch), overcast and periodic drizzle and heavy showers. 16c.

Another good session. Took about 30 minutes of feeding before I put a bait in. Took a while to find feeding fish too. Had 5 carp consisting of 3 commons in the 5-6.5lb range, a 5lb mirror and a nice chunky (though sluggish fighting) 9lb 10oz common.

All taken off the surface on 10mm pop up. Lots of floating pellets fed and I was again the only person catching. Not wishing to blow my own horn, but it's been by all accounts a tough week on the lake due to changeable weather but I've had 4 good sessions in a row. You'd just not think that the only method catching in blustery Autumnal weather would be surface fishing. A lot of people just stick to pellet waggler and method feeder even if they see no action for hours.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:58 pm

17/08/2017 - Parkley. Only there for a couple of hours in the afternoon as the wind was howling and the fishing was poor. I wasn't able to get the peg at the end of the pontoon (which is most consistent) but still got 27 perch. Left pond is now completely dead for perch, which is odd. Largest about 6oz. Partly cloudy, 8 m/s SW, 21c.

18/08/2017 - I popped up to a local council run lake called Eliburn to see Ross who'd done the full day. He'd had 5 or 6 perch and one lost fish on the method feeder. I was there for a couple of hours and between us we caught about 50 odd perch to 12oz just under the surface. Lost a 1lb plus roach too, much to my annoyance. It's a nice lake, but looks like it could be tricky to get the larger carp out (they run to 22lb).

19/08/2017 - Magiscroft. 1715 to 2015. Strong SW all day, running up to 8-10 m/s. Not that warm either with highs of 17c. Made for extremely difficult surface fishing. In the full three hours I only had the bait in for about 15 minutes. I struggled to get any fish to feed anywhere, but was extremely lucky to hook one fish from my only take of the evening and even luckier that it was 13lb 5oz. It was the same fish I had three weeks ago at 13lb 9oz. This time it was landed on much lighter gear, so quite a different fight. This was at about 20:00, and I continued for a little while but the commotion had wiped the handful of fish out of the swim so I headed home. A good result, all things considered.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:44 pm

20/08/2017 - Magiscroft. 1730 to 2100. 18c dropping to 11c. Calm and bright enough, though no direct sun. Lovely weather but very cold at the end when you've forgotten your jacket!

Good session, though lost three including two to snap offs. The first one took me over a drop off and severed the line, the second was just played too hard to keep it away from a buoy. Had three nice commons though, with the first being the largest at 10lb exactly (and my first double figure common). The other two were 8lb 2oz and 6lb 14oz.

Same peg as yesterday and the fish fed throughout though sporadically. Hard to target as a fish would pop up, take a few pellets and sink down again, popping up 20ft away 15 seconds later. The boilies were being taken well when the fish actually came across them, but it was difficult to put them infront of their noses. One of the big mirrors was feeding well in my swim (15lb plus) but I was completely unable to get the bait in to position. I was out with a new rod today (TFG Compact Float - 10ft softish action pellet waggler rod and well suited to the job) and a new (larger) net, making landing the fish a breeze.

Maybe out again tomorrow with my daughter.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:57 pm

23/08/2017 - Magiscroft. 20c dropping to 17c. 1630 to 2015. Mostly calm, occasional breeze from left to right.

Not a great session really. I had three fish (2 commons at 4-5lb and a monster F1 at 4lb 15oz) and Ross had one. My older daughter (I can say that now my second arrived on Monday morning without a hitch - Alice, 8lb 6.5oz and lovely!) came along and after some initial fussing, was happy playing in the bivvy I brought along for her, latterly watching videos. It wasn't ideal to have to keep trogging up and down the bank to deal with her though. Such is family fishing! Beyond that, the ducks were a nightmare. The group of 4 young ducks drove me to the point of requesting a summary execution for the bastards from the fishery manager. Utterly infuriating, and very hard to shoo away.

Either way, with the new baby, I think family fishing is going to happen increasingly often so I'll have to reduce my expectations!

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:31 pm

27/08/2017 - Magiscroft. 1640 to 2030. Light cloud, 20c, calm. Nice conditions.

Really good session though it didn't start that way. First swim I came to had plenty of fish but too close to the edge. Spooky and crap takes resulted in only one hook up (5-6lb mirror) which ditched me in the weeds with a needless snap off. Finally decided to abandon the Nash NXT 8lb line as it's breaking strain is clearly much lower and it's honestly impossible to get a good knot. So slippery. So back onto 12lb Korda zig line which is total overkill, but it's so much better. A move of swim at 17:30 resulted in 9 fish in the next two hours (they were feeding well) with two fish at 9lb 2oz, and an average of just under 7lb. Aching arms after that! One really good double cruising the swim but I just couldn't get a bait positioned in front of it. They switched off after 19:45 and I only had one more take, which I missed.

Great fishing, but I was missing my 3.2m landing net handle. I thought I'd be fine with 2m, but they fight the last metre like loonies. Definitely need more reach.

The stupid thing is that I didn't see any of the other four anglers catch in the time I had 9. I just don't know why folk don't think of the surface.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top