Moving to Devon in July, not just for the fishing, honest!

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Moving to Devon in July, not just for the fishing, honest! - Page 6 Empty Re: Moving to Devon in July, not just for the fishing, honest!

Post  J Robinson on Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:38 pm

28/08/2017 - Magiscroft. 1615 to 1915. Overcast, 19c, SW 4-5 m/s. Some drizzle, with squally rain for 30 minutes around 17:30.

Poor session really. Looked promising until the squall came through. The temperature dropped, the wind whipped up and the fish dived down. Managed two before the weather turned and one after. Largest 7lb 12oz, smallest about 5lb. You can always rely on the weather knackering the fishing in Scotland.

J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Moving to Devon in July, not just for the fishing, honest! - Page 6 Empty Re: Moving to Devon in July, not just for the fishing, honest!

Post  J Robinson on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:18 pm

01/09/2017 - 1030 to 1730. Magiscroft. Calm and sunny morning, 19c, though a cool start. By lunchtime a light breeze picked up and it clouded over a bit.

An intensely frustrating session. Loads of fish during the morning, up until about midday. A couple more before 2pm, but then completely dead when the breeze picked up. A total of 10 carp averaging about 5 1/2lb off the top, mostly on dumbell pop up but two on free lined dog biscuit. Had the day continued as it did in the morning I'd have ended the day on 20 or 25 fish. All the carp were cruising, so bites were actually fairly hard to achieve even in the morning, but there were so many fish visible (usually 50 plus at any one time) that we caught well.

97 carp in the past 6 weeks and all but 5 of them off the surface.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Magiscroft - 0845 to 0930. Calm, 10c though warming rapidly under the bright sun.

Basically only there for an hour showing a friend how to fish the surface. Two nice carp, with a common around 5lb and a nice hardfighting mirror at 7lb 7oz. Missed the first (roughly) 8 takes though, much to my frustration. That is floater fishing though!
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:01 am

04/09/2017 - Magiscroft 0900 to 1730. Heavy rain overnight with a break from 0900 to about 1100 then heavy rain until 1600. Minimal wind affecting fishing.

As usual, the fish were feeding well until the rain started. I had two commons at about 5lb each, and a nice mirror at 10lb 5oz. The larger mirrors were being particularly cagey and wouldn't take anything other than feedbait. I got one take from one of them on 10mm pop up, but didn't connect. After the rain started the fish disappeared and only briefly reappeared for a minute or two before not being seen again. I fished with method feeder on one rod and a pop up boilie on the other rod and neither saw a bite.

I imagine that this will be the last full day I fish for carp at Magiscroft this season unless we get a heatwave. Mornings seem to be fishing well at the moment, so still plan to see how long I can push the surface fishing into Autumn. I had targets of a 100lb bag weight and 10 double figure carp this summer. I think I'll make the 10 doubles target as I'm already on 9, but the 100lb day seems out of reach as I'd need 15-18 fish which now seems unattainable.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:55 pm

06/09/2017 - Magiscroft. 0800 to 1200. 12c start warming to 15c. Overcast with sunny intervals and some very light showers. Building SW to 5 m/s

First blank off the surface. Only had three takes in total, hooking into one that came off after about 20 seconds. Fish were barely feeding, and were taking their sweet time with browsing through the pellets and constantly rejecting the hook baits. Ross had one take from one fish, which he landed for a pb of 10lb 1oz. Lovely common that I think I had a few weeks back at 10lb exactly.

Couple of big doubles in the swim all day but they were the cagiest of all of them regarding the hook baits. I'm not sure that I'm actually going to get one of these before winter.... Crying or Very sad
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:36 pm

10/09/2017 - Magiscroft. 0700 to 0900. Calm on the water, 3m/s SW. 10-11c, occasional drizzle.

Surprisingly good session today. It was quite warm yesterday so I had a feeling that they would feed well this morning. This turned out to be the case, and a change in tactics from pop up boilie and dumbell to an 8mm cork ball hair rigged to a size 16 worked a treat. The cork ball (soaked in flavour oil) looks almost identical in the water to the feed pellets and the takes were far more confident. Two of the four fish I had actually self hooked against the small controller float. The four fish were commons at 6lb 3oz (only weighed it to check my guess, which was wrong at 5 1/2lb), about 7lb and 10lb exactly. The 10 pounder was the same fish Ross had on Wednesday. I also had a lovely chunky mirror at 14lb 13oz. Certain it's one of the large mirrors that has been taunting me for weeks now. Cork ball for the win!

I lost a fifth fish which felt decent, but wrapped me up around one of the buoys in the lake. The buoys were put in years ago when there were matches on it (carp at too large now for that) to divide one side from the other. I've asked for them to be removed at the 10lb fish also went round it, but I fear I may have to sneak in with a wetsuit!
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:37 am

11/09/2017 - Magiscroft. 0700 to 0945. Calm to start, 10c, building breeze from SW.

Blankety blank. So hard to get them feeding this morning as the fishery had 23mm of rain yesterday and overnight. Eventually got a few going a bit at the top end of the loch, and 45 minutes of stalking one group of smaller commons eventually resulted in a hook up. It was one of the smaller fish and almost immediately ditched me in the weeds. I hooked another fish about 20 minutes later on the other side, larger this time, but that also came off. Bloody frustrating, but I didn't expect a good day due to all the rain.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:27 am

12/09/2017 - Magiscroft. 1500 to 1700. Near enough calm, occasional drizzle, 14c, overcast.

Just wetted the line for a couple of hours after delivering some timber for new pegs. There was a large group of carp sat in the shallows of peg 43 (perhaps 20 fish) and I was able to get some of them feeding off the surface quite easily. Picked a common off at 6lb 9oz, which obviously meant the rest spooked.

I then spent the next hour and a bit trying to get a bait infront of a nice low double mirror that was cruising about taking pellets (but would disappear for 5 minutes at a time sometimes). Eventually got a bite, which didn't connect but spooked the fish. Given that that was the only fish feeding, that was the end of the session.

At least I had a fish test the latest new rod (Fox Warrior Drop Shot 5-20g 8ft 2"). It's got a lovely through action and is just about meaty enough for the carp. Could probably do with being a tough beefier, but then I'd lose the effortless flick to cast out the controller and perhaps wouldn't have the forgiving softness when playing the fish on 6lb line.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:19 am

16/09/2017 - Magiscroft. 0700 to 0900. 5c start rising to about 9c. Still, overcast. Honestly felt like snow.

Far too cold. Blanked. Nothing on the surface at all and only a couple of loosely interested fish in the margins. I know that there were a few fish caught later in the day but it was the coldest night of Autumn and they just weren't interested this morning.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:38 pm

17/09/2017 - Magiscroft. 1630 to 1800. 15c, overcast, rain later.

Blank. Nothing came into the margin. Nothing came onto the surface. The water temperature is right down now (3.5c overnight) so carp tactics will have to change completely. Going to try delicate presentation of smaller pellets with PVA bag of micros and 2mm.

18/09/2017 - local canal, quarries. 1445 to 1700. 15c, overcast.

Wandering along the canal for a bit chucking out a spinner. Super light rod (5-15g Abu Garcia Devil 6.5ft, 20lb braid) made for effortless casting of a small spinner. The canal was carrying far too much colour from boat traffic. There are a couple of quarries near to it that I strayed onto as well, including the one I did a lot of tenching on earlier in the year. The tenching quarry yielded a 2lb jack, which was nice to see. The hideous litter however wasn't.

J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:51 pm

19/09/2017 - Parkley. 1600 to 1800. Bright, 13-14c, relatively calm.

The perch have gone to sleep as well. 8 perch on maggot in two hours, and very small compared to the average. A rainbow on maggot and another on a very small spinner on ultralight gear. Won't go back here until next year as I have no interest in catching rainbows.

21/09/2017 - Magiscroft. 0750 to 1000. 13c, bright, calm.

The heavy rain finished just a few minutes before I arrived this morning. It was a very mild night (15c, dropping to 12c) with lots of warm rain. This brought the carp up first thing and they fed better than they have for about 3 weeks. Loads of fish moving, though no doubles. A lot of F1s on the top too.

Ended up with 5 commons to 9lb 15oz and an F1 just over 4lb. Couldn't really have got more as I hit 6 out of about 9-10 bites. All taken on the new rod and reel combo, which was completely perfect for the task. Savage Gear Parabellum CC 9ft 2" 7-23g with a Daiwa Whisker SS 1600 reel. Couldn't be more pleased with how it handled the fish.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:53 pm

23/09/2017 - Magiscroft. 1630 to 1930. Warm (17c) but 5m/s Southerly with a hint of east. Overcast.

I expected a much better session, but the fish only came up to the surface at the end. It was mostly F1s. Only managed one take. Just as well I had a 7lb 8oz common from the margin on sweetcorn earlier. Hard to get a proper take from margin feeding fish, and annoyingly the upper double mirror wasn't the one that took. Oh well, it wasn't a blank.

I'm back in the morning for a few hours and expecting much better. The morning after a warm day is usually good. I'm just hoping the rain holds off for long enough.

Last edited by J Robinson on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Sep 24, 2017 10:16 pm

24/09/2017 - Magiscroft. 0700 to 1000. 14c, reasonably calm (slight SE), very overcast drizzle at 0830 for a short while and rained off at 1000.

Fish were feeding well (for the time of year) but struggling to get the hook bait infront of them and also just didn't connect with many of the bites. The balance of hooking into my first four bites on the session earlier in the week. Managed 2 - one at about 6lb, the other 7lb 12oz. Spent 90 minutes from 0830 to 1000 trying to get the one low double that was cruising the swim but failed entirely. It had an unpredictable swimming pattern which meant that my hook bait was always in the wrong place. Ho hum. Still might get a session or two more, but not entirely sure. Might try completely flipping the approach and using dog biscuits again as I can honestly say I had more takes on my controller float than my bait today. Maybe they aren't as cautious as I thought.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:00 pm

27/09/2017 - Magiscroft. 0700 to 1015. Easterly 5 m/s, 13c warming to 16c, bright at times.

I expected an excellent session with the warmer than usual conditions but it didn't happen. There were no fish in any of the margins (which is a first) and only a total of four fish (in two groups of two) came to the surface all morning for a total of less than 10 minutes. I hooked one from the first pair, but missed the bite from the second. Back onto dog biscuit as the hook up rate seems to be better. The fish I landed was a pb for a common, at 10lb 13oz. Lovely fish that was impressively strong, taking 20m of line on the first run (light gear). I was surprised not to lose it as it grated my line along the drop off (a horrible sensation) and locked up on the drop off twice briefly. Once it had finished it's long runs it came to the net very quickly.

After that, I continued to feed the surface but nothing came up. I set up a little 1oz bomb on a bolt rig with a single sweetcorn kernal popped up an inch (by using half an 8mm cork ball for buoyancy) and got a screaming take in under 2 minutes. Only 5lb, but it did an impressive job of weeding me up on the Canadian pond weed. I had to get in with the net to free it.

I've come to the conclusion that the fish on the Main Loch just don't like an easterly regardless of how warm it is. An easterly also blasts right down the lake, from one end to another, so even a light wind will ripple the whole loch, wrecking the surface fishing.

Anyway, an eventful session certainly. Back out at the weekend I guess. Have 850 miles to drive in the next two days, so going to struggle to fit the fishing in!
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:46 pm

29/09/2017 - Magiscroft. 1615 to 1915. South westerly 4-5m/s though that wind direction has no affect on the water. 14c dropping to 10c.

Sadly nothing on the surface feeding at all. Carp were splashing about a bit, but nothing more. I fired pellets in the length of the lake and nothing rose.

Stuck to popped up sweetcorn on a light bolt rig, fished over loose fed micros and sweet corn. Had three runs, the first bending my hook out (rig with heavier hook attached and then...) and then a common at about 6lb and a nice leather carp at 7lb 15oz. The common barely fought and the mirror fought like a double.

I'll pop along in the morning for a few hours, but it's due to be a colder night so not optimistic.

(153 carp from the main loch this year, 12 doubles, 16 mirrors and 16 F1s - I do like statistics!)
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:08 pm

Forgot to update the log....

30/09/2017 - Magiscroft. 0700 to about 0930. Can't remember the weather, but was probably mild. Just a single common carp about 5lb off the surface, and missed an F1 too. They were feeding close in to bank, so spooked easily.

Since then we've had strong north westerlies and rain.

05/10/2017 - NW 4-7 m/s, 7c start, highs of 12c. Magiscroft 0815 to 1845.

Cold, blustery but bright. First full day in ages. Really, really hard going today on account of the deluge of rain last night. One small common late morning (4lb ish) on popped up sweetcorn and a medium sized F1 (3lb 4oz) at about 18:00 also on popped up sweetcorn. Apart from a large foul hooked F1 that snapped me off in a weedbed (stalked, thought it had taken the bait but was foul hooked near pectoral - bolted straight into broad leaf pond weed and power of first run snapped the 6lb Maxima) not other runs all day. Nice to test out the Delkims and rod pod though.

I really wished I'd been out for pike today, but they won't open until November for pike. Their argument is that they want to wait for the carp to become mostly dormant before allowing pike anglers and trebles to be thrown about. Seems odd, but it's not my fishery so I'll have to wait.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:36 pm

08/10/2017 - Magiscroft. 0800 to 1830. 13c. Mostly overcast. Calm.

Crap day. Surprising really due to the mild night. I had one common at 6lb 9oz 5 minutes after putting the rods out (popped up sweetcorn) and then nothing for the rest of the day. A couple of runs (F1s I suspect as screamed off and amounted to nothing).

There were a few mirrors up today on the surface but feeding very cautiously. Had one poor take resulting in no hook up, a few nudges of the float and nothing else. With the water being 10c, they hardly want to feed.

My friend had a common at 8lb 9oz on my rod as I'd wandered down the bank casting to a cruising carp. His only fish too.

The lake is to be restocked this week with 1.5 - 2lb carp. 500 of them. Should at least mean more bites. I'll give it one more session after the restock and if it's still poor it's pike only from then on.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:25 pm

13/10/2017 - Magiscroft 1230 to 1800. Warm SW 9-10 m/s 16c, quickly settling to fairly calm, rain abating and 13c.

Another shite session. The loch was restocked with carp that are too small for the anglers that fish it (1-1.5lbs) but I couldn't persuade the owner to put fewer fish in at a better stamp. Now when you get a run, instead of it averaging 6-7lbs with a chance of a double (1 in 13 fish), it's most likely to be a pointlessly small C2 carp. Surface fishing next year will be the only way of sorting out the larger fish.

I had three stupid little carp but rather satisfyingly, got an F1 off the surface at about 3lb. So, October surface fish caught and carping comes to a stop. Time to start hunting for pike venues....
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:02 pm

15/10/2017 - local quarry. 0700 to 1230. 9-10 m/s SW 17c

First proper pike session and blank. The high temperature and wind was promising but the sun was strong too. We had 5 rods out between us (three bottom baits popped up two feet due to silk weed) and two float rods (too windy really, but why not). Not a touch. I thought I'd give the quarry one go, but I won't be back for pike. We cleared so much litter, that the place can only really be described as a dump. The locals ought to be ashamed of themselves.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:12 pm

18/10/2017 - Magiscroft. 1000 to 1230. 9c to 11c, SW 3-4 m/s. Overcast and sometimes drizzling.

Well I was persuaded to try the pole on the main loch, but it was a total write off. Some had been catching well on the pole, but the 3-4c temperature drop did no favours. Also, fishing at 11m at 12ft depth is a monumental pain in the blep, and in my case (with my various injuries) pain in the back and right elbow. I lasted a couple hours, didn't enjoy a minute of it, had one 1.5lb common and packed up. The side wind made the whole affair even more unpleasant.

I've enjoyed pole fishing in the past at short range. 10m plus is really unpleasant and I just don't want to do it. Wish I'd discovered that before buying a 300 pole earlier in the year. I'll be selling all my pole gear.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:46 pm

25/10/2017 - Upland reservoir near the Lomond Hills. 09:30 to 16:45. 11-13c. 4-8 m/s WSW. One shower, but mostly fairly bright.

Total write off of a day. First proper pike day of winter, fishing with Ross. 6 rods out, on a spot that looked very promising from the topographical map (deep water coming very close to bank on a point). 4 rods fished on pop up, two on float. No movement all day and definitely won't be back. I've no patience for large upland lakes, lochs and reservoirs. I like runs waters and not blanking (I went nearly 100 fish on the Highland water I used to fish without blanking and that only came to an end because I stopped fishing it).

Back to the drawing board. God I hate winter.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:21 pm

01/11/2017 - Magiscroft. 0900 to 1645. 4-5 m/s SW, though reasonably still on the water. 11-12c, drizzle most of the day and heavy rain at times.

Three way blank. Three of us fishing 2 rods each and a total of three runs. Not a touch on my rods at all. Awful fishing.

Changing the winter approach. I'll do 2-3 days a month up in the Highlands on the loch which was always so productive and nothing else. I have no patience for spending ages on the bank catching sweet FA. Boat's getting built tomorrow.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:06 pm

14/11/2017 - Magiscroft. 10c. Flat calm and overcast.

Wasn't really fishing today, but popped in to visit a mate and drop off some reeds and sawdust for the fishery. Nevertheless, the carp were on the munch and Tim let me take a couple of runs on his rod. First one was 9lb 8oz, which much to his annoyance was the largest of the day (out of 9) and the second was a little newly stocked fish at about 1.5lbs.

Goes to show that you can still have a productive day in winter (much to my surprise, I'll admit) if you wait for a really mild spell.

Pike at the weekend. At least three days of it! Twisted Evil
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:42 pm

22/11/2017 - Highland loch, pike fishing.

I fished 3.5 days on a stunning little loch that I know well from years past. Mixed weather - day one was a 5 m/s westerly veering NW. 1-3c bright at times. Day two required a 150m ice break, and stayed cold and flat calm all day. Day three was flat calm, rained half the day. Day four it just rained, and was flat calm. Never more than 3 celcius, so very chilly. The new boat performed very well and is extremely stable. Not great for ice breaking though on account of the non streamlined hull.

Anyway, the fishing wasn't great. 8 fish spread over the four days (3 on day 1, 2 on day 2, 2 on day 3 and 1 on day 4) largest 13lb. Two fish were caught twice over the 4 days. Too cold for them to be feeding much. A very poor comparison to the summer pike fishing there. 8 fish would have been an average day, not what you'd catch over 4 days.

Not sure what to do next really as I didn't much enjoy the four days out. Stunning location, and say peregrines, an otter, a white tailed eagle and other wildlife, but it took all my layers to stay warm and I've no patience for crap fishing. Perhaps I'll just wait for those mild SW weather fronts that we get over winter and just focus on carp instead.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:44 pm

04/12/2017 - Magicroft. 10:00 to 16:00. 8c, 3m/s SW, bright intervals.

We fished the only three pegs that were fishable with the retreating ice. The air was quite mild, but the water freezing. (On carp) I didn't have a bite all day (a few line indications) but Ross had one tiny (1.5lb) carp and Tim had two tiny carp. Waste of time really.

Unless I see 12 celsius, I'm not going to go out again for carp. Winter fishing for tiny carp is just grim.
J Robinson
J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next