Moving to Devon in July, not just for the fishing, honest!

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Go down

Moving to Devon in July, not just for the fishing, honest! - Page 7 Empty Re: Moving to Devon in July, not just for the fishing, honest!

Post  J Robinson on Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:36 pm

28/12/17 - local river. 0c after -3c frost. Bright, 3-4 m/s westerly. 5 rods out from 0900 to 1430 without a touch. Later found out that a seal has taken residence 1/4 mile downstream, explaining the poor fishing.

03/01/18 - southern Scottish loch. 0900 to 1630. Was supposed to be fishing for 3 days but miserable weather, a bad peg and no fish (to 9 rods in that time) meant I spat the dummy out and went home.

There won't be any further entries until the weather starts to warm again. Winter fishing is a truly miserable affair.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Moving to Devon in July, not just for the fishing, honest! - Page 7 Empty Re: Moving to Devon in July, not just for the fishing, honest!

Post  J Robinson on Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:28 pm

31/03/2018 - Pike fishing in the Highlands. Out with Ross on the famed loch. It was very disappointing. Just too cold and it snowed gently for most of the day. We each had a 4-5lb jack within 10 minutes of each other 45 minutes into the day and not a touch after that. Had planned to stay the weekend but got off the water at 16:00 and went home.

09/04/2018 - Magiscroft. 7c start, warming to 13-14c. Mostly still, with gentle SW developing in the afternoon. 09:00 to 1700.

Not a bad start to surface fishing for the year. The carp were up for feeding, albeit sluggishly. I got there early and chucked the fishfinder out for an hour, showing that the fish were all through the water column. Managed 12 fish off the surface, of which 8 were commons from 5-9lb and 4 were F1s from 2-4lb. I had 45 minutes on method feeder early afternoon (horrible, boring tactic) and got one pointlessly small common at about a pound. The new stock are mercifully staying off the surface, so bigger fish prevail.
Very timid takes all day, with no fish self hooking. Had to strike for them all. Spent ages trying to get the hook size to hook bait size ratio correct.

Will leave it a couple more weeks before heading back. The water was only 8c, so needs to warm.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:51 am

15/04/2018 - Magiscroft. 0830 to 1300. 5m/s easterly, thread of drizzle, overcast and up to 12c.

Total contrast to Monday. Nothing on the surface at all, and not much feeding at any level. I didn't catch anything and left early, but I set up a submerged float zig rig that caught my friends 6 carp between them at 5ft under the surface. One to try next time.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:00 pm

28/04/2018 - Magiscroft. 1c start, rising to 9-10c with sunny intervals and persistent easterly breeze.

Not a good day. Had one off the surface at 5lb or so, but nothing else. Nothing on the zigs, nothing on the feeder. I refused to scale down my tackle to give me a better chance at catching the stockies (3/4-1.5lb newly stocked carp) as I have no interest in such small fish. My friend had 15 of the little shitbags, plus a bonus 3lb original stock F1.

Awful fishing really. I know it was cold, but you would have expected some sort of feeding response from the fish. There is around 4000lb of carp in that lake, and it's only 2 acres. Can't wait to move south. Scottish coarse fishing is dreadful.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon May 28, 2018 7:23 am

Not going to update the log for a while, as I'm just in a fishing holding pattern of sorts. We're moving to Devon in July, so only fishing my local commercial until I go, playing around with pellet waggler mostly. Had a session at a commercial in Devon on Saturday which was OK, but the fish weren't in good condition, which I am not keen on. Had 36 carp to 12lb 4oz. Many, many more places to try though Very Happy
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7