Piking will return this winter but it's carp on the surface for now!

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Piking will return this winter but it's carp on the surface for now!

Post  J Robinson on Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:58 pm

12/03/2017 - local trout fishery. 11c, building SW up to about 4-5 m/s mostly overcast.

Hadn't intended to go fishing today as my wife had a friend visiting, but it was good weather and she was happy enough to let me go (or so she said!). Late start though, fishing by 10:00.

The morning was crap as I had to move twice (not easy with full pole set up). Firstly due to general lack of fish and breeze at the windward end of the pond making the ripples too large for the pole float. Second time was just a lack of fish.

Once I settled into the third swim (which was the swim I fished for most of February) I got into a steady catch rate and ended up with 227 roach (the odd number stop is due to a total and complete stop in bites). There was a young lad interesting in the pole fishing (a powerbait/bubble float guy) and he managed a very respectable 40 odd roach in a couple of hours at the end. I also had two brown trout, the first at 6lb 4oz took prawn on the heavier set up, the second at 5lb 12oz took single maggot on the light rig. Both fought superbly, and the larger of the two took about about 15ft of the number 16 elastic on one extremely strong run.

I would have been happy with the brown trout tally, but for a chap targeting the brownies on bread in the margin getting 13 of them! I was deeply impressed, and I'll admit just a little jealous.

No action on the pike rod today.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  admandino on Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:30 pm

I have really enjoyed reading this. Great, thanks.
admandino

View user profile http://fishinimpossible.blogspot.co.uk/?m=0

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:14 pm

admandino wrote:I have really enjoyed reading this. Great, thanks.

There are rather more updates to this blog than there really ought to be! Fishing addict indeed.

I'm doing my first day up at the new coarse fishery, primarily targeting carp. The weather has been properly mild for 5 days now, so cautiously optimistic. Taking a friend (novice angler) up too.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:14 pm

15/03/2017 - local trout fishery. 11c, 5-6m/s SW and cloudy.

I started the day at the coarse fishery, but only lasted an hour due to the wind. Being up in the hills, the wind was a bit stronger, and was strong enough to blow a chair off the jetty into the water.

The trout fishery has a bit more shelter and I started fishing there at 11:30 with my friend.

Very good fishing overall. I had 200 roach and my friend 130 (he is a novice angler - only his fourth fishing trip). The pike were constantly in the swim bothering Ross's keepnet (I now used a closed mesh net which the pike don't seem to register. The cheaper net Ross used is an open mesh and 100 roach in a small space is like catnip to pike). I've only ever had one pike landed on deadbaits in any one day. The only time I've had 2 is when I foul hooked the second on the pole. I ended up with 3 pike, at 5lb 8oz, 6lb 8oz and 7lb 14oz. Ross had a brownie at 5lb 14oz on the light pole (quite possibly the same fish he had the the other day) and a small rainbow.

When packing up at the end, I left one of the poles out with a prawn section. Had three smaller brownies in 30 minutes (just under 3, just over 3 and just under 4). Great scrap off the larger one.

So overall excellent. Still yet to see much of the larger roach, but still hitting good numbers of smaller fish with plenty of trout as well.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:52 am

19/03/2017 - local trout fishery. 5c start, rising to 11c, calm initially and fine. Then persistent showers, which ceased yielding to a steady 5 m/s breeze which then subsided later on. All weathers in one day!

Outstanding day. With the exception of specimen fish, I beat or equaled my pbs. I pegged up initially on the same peg I'd been on on Wednesday, but there were not many fish there. I moved along the bank after 55 roach to a largely featureless peg (just the usual steady 45 degree drop off). Had a couple of rainbows straight off the bat on concurrent cast. After that it just proceeded to be steady all day on the roach with only short periods where the shoal backed off. Nothing wild, and I doubt that I ever had an hour with more 70 fish (about 100 fish is my best for an hour). The trout were fairly abundant too.

I was also 'coaching' another fisherman (on the pole, and then just on presentation with the rod and line) and his friend so I actually spent a fair bit of time off my rod and helping them. They were both delighted as they had 3 trout each and the pole fishing yielded nearly 100 roach for him too. I managed to get the friend to happily put back a 5lb rainbow rather than kill it, which is always nice.

Having that second open meshed keep net out meant that the pike came fairly quickly and rattled it. Deadbait next to the net was quite effective.

Anyway, final count was:

585 roach, with just 1 at 4oz and the rest much smaller. Average size was probably a bit above the norm, so about 13-14lb bag weight

9 trout, comprising of 6 rainbows, 1 blue and 2 browns. The rainbows and blues were all around 2lb and the browns were just under 3lb and just under 4lb. Two of the browns and one of the rainbows fell to prawn, and the remaining 6 stockies took single maggot.

3 pike - the same 3 fish as Wednesday, so 5.5lb, 6.5lb and a smidge under 8lb.

Total weight of everything above was around 54lb, which I'm incredibly pleased with for a late winter mixed coarse and game fishing bag.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:44 pm

22/03/2017 - local trout fishery. Minus 2 start, after much cold rain and snow the day before. Frost lasted until about lunchtime then rain/hail in the afternoon with building easterly wind. 3 celsius finish.

Not a great day today, principally due to the weather. The forecasts (I read 4 different websites) all got the weather wrong, with rain in the afternoon when it wasn't forecast. The snow yesterday and the frost really didn't do the roach fishing any favours.

Anyway, a lot of peg moving (3 times in the end) as shoals just vanished. Lots of bother with the pike again at the nets. Would love to find a way to shoo the pike away without catching them.

In the end I finished up with 275 roach, 3 rainbows, a smaller brown trout (3.5lb or thereabouts) and the same three bloody pike I've had the last two sessions. Also got snapped off by a large brownie on the pole (first time ever at this fishery). It just took a long deep run and broke the 3lb 6oz hook link. Upgraded to 4lb 12oz after that!

Had planned to go piking tomorrow but forecast isn't ideal (too cold, with some wind) so won't.

Fished with a friend today and he got 110 roach and a rainbow.

We've had 5010 roach out of that water since the start of February. Very Happy

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:14 pm

Cheeky couple of hours of fishing this afternoon. Fairly calm, 8c, slight easterly, moderately sunny.

Thought I'd try wetting a line in the reservoir (3-4 acres) downstream of the trout fishery. Waste of time though as blanketweed has nearly filled the water, top to bottom. Fished the damn head and whilst the hard bottom was 19ft down, the algae started at 3.5ft. Not a bite in 30 minutes so gave up.

Popped into the trout fishery on the way back, saw a chap I know on the fly so thought I'd crack the roach pole out. Nothing more than a tub of maggots, a 3.3m pole and a bucket. Hooked into a rainbow 4th fish, and had loads of roach. 90 minutes on the pole yielded 125 roach and a total of two rainbows. Always fun and with nothing better to do tomorrow will probably go out tomorrow too. Good weather forecast should mean plenty of roach.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:42 pm

24/03/2017 - Local trout fishery. Frosty minus 1 start. Little to no wind. Bright and sunny, topping perhaps 10c.

Generally mediocre day today. Cold start and bright sun meant very few trout. Caught one rainbow, lost another, bumped off a third. I had 400 roach, with a few decent ones coming now. Between Ross and myself there were 6 decent roach, biggest 8oz. My fishing partner's fishing is coming on well, and he correctly identified when a pike moved into the swim (drop off in roach activity) and successfully tempted it with a dead roach. His first float fished pike (he's only had one other which was a twitched deadbait).

With the 120 roach Ross got, that's 1730 in the last 6 days Cool

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:52 pm

27/03/2017 - local trout fishery.

Very frustrating day today. Bright with building easterly wind. Felt warm and pleasant in the sun but bitterly cold on the north facing bank facing the wind.

Started off on the south facing bank but three hours of tough roach fishing only yielded 119 roach. No trout or pike at all, though one brownie did chase a roach back in. Opted to move to the opposite bank, a peg which has fished well for me for some time. Three lads had been there all morning without a sniff of a bite.

It was just one of those days where everything kept falling off the hook. The roach were not prolific due to the sheer numbers of predators in the swim. The keep net was savaged by one of the larger pike, which was so engrossed in trying to get into the keep net that I was able to net it. It's just over 10lbs if memory serves. I had two further pike from three runs with ledgered roach directly next to the net. I hooked a total of 11 trout over the course of the afternoon, of which I lost 6, including one bite off from a larger brownie. The trout that I landed were: 1 rainbow and browns at just over 2lb, just under 3lb, about 3.5lb and 4lb 4oz. Also lost a nice roach. The pike I had were 8lb and 6.5lb.

Ended the day on 240 roach.

I need to go back to the other keep net which has the fully closed mesh that the pike can't see through. This one was new, but has been damaged to the point where I lost about 50 of the smaller roach through a smaller hole. Fecking pike!

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  piketastic on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:30 pm

That's blasphemy 😀 .
piketastic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:39 pm

Haha! It's only a small water with a limited number of pike in it. I'd really like not to catch them but they won't leave my bloody net alone. I only put the bait in in response to them striking my net but of late I've caught them repeatedly. They're in there to try to control the roach, but just home in on my net. It sounds ridiculous, but if anyone has any tips on how to discourage the pike from entering my swim, I'm all ears!

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 pm

28/03/2017 - 2m/s easterly, 10c, overcast with lightest drizzle imaginable towards end of evening.

Just a quick afternoon session. 14:30 to 19:45 at the local trout fishery.

Tough start on the roach on account of the sheer number of trout in the swim. Hooked a brownie 4th fish, it popped off and as did the next two. I thought that I was in for a repetition of yesterday but all trout after that stayed on. Ended up with 5 brownies, averaging about 3lb, largest 4lb. Weirdly, 3 of them took statically fished, ledgered roach deadbait down the margin. Also has a pike at about 6lb.

160 roach with one better fish (3685 month subtotal - just to help me keep track!). Struggled to bring them into the short line, instead having to work the 5.5m line at 14ft depth.

Declining atmospheric pressure into the weekend and lots of free time. Where to fish!?

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:07 pm

29/03/2017 - local trout fishery 1500-1945. Gentle easterly, light drizzle at times, 11-12c.

Well my week of endless fishing continues with a very average session. Just one trout hooked (brownie at 3lb 5oz on the pole, single maggot). One screaming (missed) run on the pike rod and 175 roach (plus another 36 by another angler who took a spare pole for a bit). Surprisingly few trout about and the roach weren't great either. I did have to peg up at the troutier end of the pond due to algae at the roachier end, much to my annoyance.

Anyway, out again tomorrow most likely, though haven't decided where....

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:25 pm

30/03/2017 - local trout fishery. Warm night (11c) and warm day too (up to 14c). Mostly overcast, SSW 3-5m/s, occasional shower.

Finally burned out on the trout fishery. Sick of tiddlers and trout. Sick of trying to build a roach swim and it getting knackered by marauding pike and brownies. Had a pike rod out for the afternoon to my right, only 5ft from the bank in 5ft of water. Had about 3 runs an hour, all afternoon. Mostly brownies taking the roach and pegging off into the depths without properly ingesting it. I'm tackled down to just one single, barbless hook due to the brown trout taking such an interest in the bait. Hooked into a couple on this, landed one at about 3lb 8oz.

Prior to that the roach fishing was awful so took to twitching a dead roach around. Had a pike at about 5-6lb and a brownie at 5lb 4oz. Lost another 2 brownies.

Had pike at 5-6lb and 10lb on the ledgered roach as well as 170 roach.

That's me done there for a bit though. Even took my trolley home. Need some proper coarse fishing, so going to the carp fishery tomorrow. It's extremely mild here are the moment, so hopes are high.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:39 pm

31/03/2017 - local coarse fishery. 12-13c, 4-7 m/s south westerly, some showers, clearer in the afternoon and wind dying down.

The day started off badly as I headed up to the new coarse fishery locally for another abortive attempt at fishing there. There is no shelter from south westerlies there and even 5 m/s makes for an uncomfortable ripple for the pole fishing. After walking round and deciding against fishing, we headed up the other fishery.

Magiscroft just stocked 1000 small carp (6-12oz) across four of their ponds earlier this week so the fishing was very easy. Hilariously easy really, but great fun. We found a lovely, sheltered spot and proceeded to fish the margins on top two kits. Fish after fish for the first two or three hours and slowed a little after that. I ended the day on 153 carp to 1lb and two small rudd. Probably an 80lb bag. Ross ended up on 75 carp for about 38lb but him catching fewer than me was largely down to luck. The fish just seemed to prefer my swim to his, and for no obvious reason.

Despite it being easily one of the best days I've ever had, I'll not hurry back to that pond as it was rather easy. I'll focus on some of the larger carp in the other ponds instead. I'm in no hurry to head back to the game fishery either.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:06 am

03/04/2017 - local coarse fishery. 7c start, 11c through the day, building SW wind. Some drizzle late on.

Just popped back to the fishery to check that Friday wasn't a fluke. He also has a few glass carp in that pond which I really wanted for my pond. After having had about 6 on Friday, I didn't get a one this time, though thankfully the chap next to me got one.

Generally much steadier today with fewer of the manic periods and shorter periods of not catching too. Also managed to get about 10 on the longer pole (maybe 6m out). Interestingly, quite a few of the originally stocked carp showed, so plenty of fish over a pound, with commons at 2lb 2oz, 2lb 12oz and a strong mirror at 3lb 12oz. 180 carp in total from just over 8 hours fishing, with a roach, an ide and a perch too. With the larger carp in the mix, I'm quite sure that my bag would have been about 100lbs.

They are all small fish, I know, but they are strong enough to give you a fight and with one every 3 minutes on average, it's constant action and good fun Very Happy

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:05 pm

06/04/2017 - local trout fishery. 07:00 to 14:00. 7c rising to 13c, sunny intervals, rising barometric pressure, 4-6 m/s SW breeze

Funny sort of session. Started out very well and then everything just suddenly stopped. I had 6 trout in the first 2.5 hours (5 rainbows, 1 brown at about 3.5lb) plus plenty of roach. Then fairly abruptly died off and the wind made fishing unpleasant so I went home. With 6 trout (all on single maggot) I had more trout than the other 15-18 odd anglers put together.

Had 152 roach and 3 perch (including a very fat 4oz fish, which is the largest perch I've ever had from there. It's, with the two others, is now in my pond).

I'll leave the fishery another week or two to see whether the larger roach and tench come up. Can't be bothered with trout and micro roach at the moment.

Last edited by J Robinson on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:47 am; edited 1 time in total

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:02 pm

Do you take many live fish home ? I don't know what its like where you are but its illegal to transfer fish without the right paperwork in England Shocked Shocked
adie1200
Admin

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:47 am

adie1200 wrote:Do you take many live fish home ? I don't know what its like where you are but its illegal to transfer fish without the right paperwork in England Shocked Shocked

Just the odd one as a pet. I've a chunky roach and a few perch in the pond, nothing more.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Apr 09, 2017 9:16 am

08/04/2017 - local coarse fishery. 2-4 m/s SW, warm and sunny 14c

Quite a poor day overall. A good day for sunbathing but not fishing so much.

We actually started off at a different, closer coarse fishery first thing in the morning but it being a bit higher up in the Pentland hills, the wind was much stronger and there is no shelter. After an hour and a half of no bites and struggling to see the float we packed up and went to Magiscroft.

Completely different weather there. Bright sun, virtually no wind and several degrees warmer. That presented it's own issues and nothing much was feeding. We bounced between a couple of the smaller ponds, picking up a few fish before ending up on the main loch. There were hundreds of carp basking in the middle in the sun, with not many being caught. As the sun started to set, a few more came on and I had a couple of F1s at 2.5 and 3lb (estimates). My friend also had a lovely lean common at 3lb 12oz (his largest carp to date - though he picked up 2 2lbers on one of the smaller ponds earlier). Beyond the F1s, I had a couple of small mirrors (1/2lb), a couple of dinky F1s, a couple of roach and a chub. Lost a lovely bream (about 1.5lbs) at the net on one of the ponds.

I'm kind of burned out on pole fishing and desperately need a pike trip.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:33 pm

10/04/2017 - local trout fishery (1430 to 2030). 13c, 5-6 m/s SW occasional sun but reasonably bright

Hadn't planned on a session today, but bunked off work a bit early as I'd not slept much last night (insomnia) and couldn't really concentrate. Concentration is required when working with sawmilling machinery.

Rubbish for most of the afternoon due to brightness and not being able to feed the swim (too many people, no supposed to feed). Ross was there, and he had a nice brown trout at 5lb 8oz on single maggot on the pole. Didn't fight too hard but for one strong run. He ended up with the trout and 41 roach after about 3.5hours.

I fished on once he left at 18:00 and once I had the water to myself I was able to feed the swim and the roach and trout came on. I had a brown trout at 6lb 10oz on the pole that took ages to land (16 minutes, to be precise) and fought like a much larger fish. I only saw it's tail once, briefly through the entire fight until all of a sudden it surfaced and slid into the net. Hooked nicely in the scissors on the size 20.

After that my luck went downhill and I bumped off a trout and lost another brownie (had it on for 15 seconds or so).

The roach remained fairly steady until I had 105. As I was feeding casters quite heavily, a decent sized brown trout was zipping around just under the surface in front of me taking them. Not off the surface, but instead 6-12 inches under. I set my heavier pole set up up to fish 2ft under the water on maggot. No takes. Then a foot under the water. No takes. The moment I put caster on it nailed it, but then just as I was about to hand the pole to a young lad (perhaps 9 or 10 years old) the damned thing bit me off. No a hook knot failure or snappage. Definitely the teeth on the trout severing the line. Oh well, it was exciting enough just to hook it.

Earlier in the afternoon I lent one of my margin poles to the couple next to us and she hooked a trout (lost) and had a few roach. He had a few more roach and one lovely fish at about 7oz. That was the only roach worth mentioning though.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:30 am

14/03/2017 - Magiscroft. 6c rising to 10c, NW 4-5m/s some showers.

The temperature taking a tumble hasn't done the carp fishing any good. Fishing with two friends, we started on the Woodside pond and I had slow but steady carp through the morning. Ended up on 14. One friend (on rod and line) got a mixture of carp and roach, and the other struggled.

Down to the main loch in the afternoon I failed to get much at all. I'd pegged up on a shallow peg that did OK for me last time, but too cold for that margin to be of any use. I had three roach. My friend on rod and line did really well on roach and perch, and Ross did OK on perch and roach too. I packed up fairly early (17:30), took stuff up to the van but popped back down to the loch after as Ross was fishing on. I took his longer line pole and had a nice little common at about 2.5lb. Ross had another 4 small commons after I left, about the same size.

Need to leave it to get warmer before trying for the carp again. These single digit temperatures are useless.

15/03/2017 - local trout fishery (0600-0945) - 4c rising to 8c, WSW 5m/s.

Just a quick morning session bashing roach. Still struggling to find any volume of fish, but had 77 roach including a nice one at 6oz. Had a rainbow shortly after arriving (2lb) and the same large brownie I had earlier in week at 6lb 10oz. Strong fight off it again. At 09:25 I hooked a fairly chunky brownie that pulled very hard. 20 minutes fighting it, but it was foul hooked and pinged off just before getting netted. No matter though, as I doubt it was much more than 5-6lb.

Will be up again tomorrow morning for another short session. 24 sessions since I last didn't get a trout at the fishery, and 6500 roach in that time too. 39 brownies and 30 rainbows/blues.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:22 pm

16/04/2017 - local trout fishery. 4c start, 6c finish 05:30 to 10:00, 4-5 m/s westerly. Very cold with drizzle coming on at the end.

Very average day. Had a tiny brown trout (not much over 2lb) and 93 roach. Lost a rainbow too. One 3-4oz roach, all the rest the usual tiny fish. Really struggling to find any volume of roach now. I guess that's what happens when you remove 13,000 fish in 6 months!

Fished with Ross this morning, who isn't good at early mornings. He turned up 40 minutes late and the jammy bad lad hooked a (rainbow) trout on his first cast after about 4 seconds. He had very few roach (about 28 I think) but had a second rainbow and lost a third. Lucky sod is about 12-13 sessions into fishing (only one session in his life before that) and has yet to have a bad day. Git.

(6945 roach since the start of this blog - for my own reference)

Last edited by J Robinson on Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:57 pm

18/04/2017 - local trout fishery. Minus 2 start, quickly warming as the sun cam up. 06:00 to 17:00. Very little wind, with light air from west, then east.

Well the roach fishing is truly knackered. Managed 157 but is was a struggle. One 3-4oz fish, all the rest tiny. Friend fishing with me had just over 40 roach, so about 200 roach all in.

On the plus side, I had my best ever day on trout. 7 browns and 5 rainbows. Another 5 lost, including one lump that I played for 10 minutes before it snapped me off (having taken all my elastic - 60ft). Own fault really as I'd noticed the mainline on the rig was past it's best when setting up and should have switched out.

Browns were 7lb 12oz, 7lb 8oz, 6lb 8oz, 5lb 12oz, 4lb 14oz, 3lb 14oz and 1lb 14oz. 4 fell to sweet corn, three to maggot.

All the rainbows were of the standard 2lb size.

Most of the fish came in the morning (including all of the larger browns) and the later afternoon (from 15:00) was dead.

Only a total of 16 trout were caught today out of about 8-9 fishermen. I had 12 and a fishing buddy had another 2 on my other pole. I ought to be marketing pole fishing for trout! Laughing

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:16 pm

20/04/2017 - local trout fishery. 11c start, high of 15c, 5-6 m/s SW, intermittently bright. 10:00 to 17:00 fishing.

Very warm day after an extremely mild night. Strange to think we had a minus 3 frost just two days ago. Had intended only to fish from 05:30 until about 10:30 but a physio appointment got in the way. Most annoyingly the physio forgot I'd booked the earlier appointment (08:45) so it was a wasted trip.

Anyway, good easy fishing today. Pegged up in the sheltered corner, focused on regular feeding, trickling in about 1.5 pints of maggots and a little bit of fishmeal groundbait. Kept fish in the swim all day. Had 8 rainbows and a brown (the same bloody 6lb 10oz fish I've caught three times this week). Lost a further 3 stockies.

The revelation later in the afternoon was regarding the roach. Over the past few months I've been hooking more and more trout and have incrementally beefed up my rigs and increased the hook size. Not to anything silly, but I've been on size 20 hooks and 0.17mm line (6lb 14oz breaking strain, but that's equivalent to 3lb standard mono). Lots of bites, but they are hard to hit. So between 10:00 and 15:20 (with an hour or so on sweetcorn on the heavier pole - 5 rainbows on sweetcorn today) I only managed 52 roach. I then switched to size 26 hook and 3lb 6oz (0.11mm) line and the roach came fast. One a minute for the first hour and ended up with a total of 130 (so 78 since switching) when I stopped at 16:45. Also lost a trout and landed a trout. Moral of the story is not to forget that roach aren't that stupid and a fine approach gets you many, many more fish. I'll be going with the size 26 going forward, or at least until something massive snaps me off and I switch back!

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top