General fishing blog of a conflicted fishing addict

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General fishing blog of a conflicted fishing addict

Post  J Robinson on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:52 pm

23/04/2017 - local trout fishery, 0530 to 1300. 2c start, calm, warming to 13c and 5m/s WSW

Dreadful session (for me) today. Certainly the worst of the year. My upstart fishing partner Ross upstaged me equaling his brown trout PB for the second time (5lb 14oz) and achieving a new brownie pb at 7lb 12oz. A very impressive achievement for a novice angler on a 3lb 6oz hook link and size 24 hook.

Anyway, I had a blue trout 7 minutes into the session and lost one further trout on sweetcorn. A mere 55 roach all session (that's 8 per hour) and Ross got 42. The surface algae accumulation was horrendous today, with 60% of the surface area of the lake covered first thing in the morning. Once the breeze picked up and pushed the sludge down the outflow, it was better but it didn't improve the fishing at all.

Time for a break. I've been struggling to find roach all month. I took about 40 odd small roach as mini deadbaits for large perch. One water I'm yet to fish but will be fishing has perch to 4lb and another to just over 2lb. I've not had a specimen perch since I was a kid.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:58 pm

To illustrate how much the roach fishing has declined, average per session in March was 338 per session (with occasional help from other people included) and average this month is 133 (with slightly more help from other people). I've knackered the fishing for myself! Laughing

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:37 pm

25/04/2017 - different local trout fishery (Parkley). 5c start, rising to 10c, cold NW 6-7m/s. Sheltered from the wind though, occasional shower.

So tried a different game fishery for the course fish. This one has a lot of perch in it (to 2lbs, I'm told). They just aren't showing yet though. We only had 10 between us (I had only 2). Also some monstrous stickleback (some of them taking three maggots on a size 12). Loads of rainbows though - Ross had 2, but I had 14. Nice variety of sizes too (from 3/4lb to 2.5lb) and much, much stronger fights from them than at the other game fishery on account of the far superior water quality.

I'm going to give this fishery another month (on the advice of the owner) as the perch show quite late. Certainly be back though as it's a stunning spot.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:57 am

26/04/2017 - local trout fishery. 8-10c NW 1-3m/s mostly cloudy.

Unplanned session. My afternoon's work disappeared due to a broken machine (not mine, thankfully!) so thought sod it, mini roach it is.

Actually the first time I've a roach shoal in front of me all month. Steady catching up to about the 120 fish mark (which took about 2 hours). It was interrupted by a few trout too. Yesterday's luck abandoned me today, with 3 stockies landed and 4 lost. Two of the lost fish I suspect were large rainbows and both of them bent the hook out. Very frustrating as you need the size 24 to get the roach, but it can't seem to hold the largest trout in there (7-12lbs). Not sure what the best compromise is.

Separately, when the swim died at 120 fish, I suspected that there was a predator in front of me. Lacking any kind of rod, I set up the heavier pole with a quickly tied pike trace (single 10 hook) and a small deadbait. After some knocks from a brownie, the float buried and had a pike just under 8lbs. Tremendous fun on a pole.

Final count was 204 roach, a tiny perch, the pike and 3 trout.

(7575 roach since start of February)

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:45 pm

28/04/2017 - local trout fishery. Near enough dead calm, 7c rising to 14c. 05:30 to 11:30

Another frustrating session. The lack of wind meant that the algae accumulation was severe. Paddle aerators were put on, but the situation remained challenging. Couple that with an almost complete lack of roach, another snap off and I'm not an especially happy bunny!

Went to the angling centre yesterday evening to buy another long top two kit and equip it with heavier elastic (13 hollow instead of 9 hollow). Used it with a fairly heavy rig (4lb 12oz hooklink, 6lb 14oz main rig line). An hour or two in, had a take on sweetcorn and after a minute or so of fighting the largest brown trout I've ever seen (around 10lb, at a guess) launched itself out the water. It then proceeded to zip left and snapped me off about 50ft away. Main line went, which implies a weakness there. Very frustrated. I have up to now remained seated on my seatbox whilst playing fish, but I'm going to follow them round if required now. Too many double figure trout in the water to think I can hold them on elastic alone.

Anyway, had two consolation prize brownies (both just under 4lb) and a pike on the pole again (about 5.5lb). 35 roach.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:52 pm

29/04/2017 - local trout fishery. 0500-1330. 7c start, building E wind, overcast finishing on 12c.

Excellent day. Funny how it goes, one day to the next. Out with a friend from the fishery who is entirely new to pole fishing (previously on the usual powerbait and bubble float set up). He's taken to it like a duck to water. He's bought a starter kit of pole gear from me (seat box, margin pole, nets etc) and today had (to quote) "best day's fishing he's ever had".

The roach and trout were pretty steady all day. I did a fairly good job of losing a lot of mine, including one on the light rig which again bent the size 24 hook hour (I'd bought some heavy wire 22s but thought I'd wing it with the 24. Silly boy). I ended up with 5 trout, comprising of 2 stockies and browns at about 2.5lb, 3.5lb and 5lb 10oz. The bigger trout took roach deadbait, a little while after launching itself a full foot out of the water chasing one of the roach up. I also had two pike on deadbait, both around 5-6lb. 240 roach also, though nothing large. I lost 6 trout in total.

Tam landed 6 trout, including a brown at 5lb 14oz (Ross's fish) and a chunky rainbow at 7lb. Not bad for your first pole session on a size 22 hook. He only lost one and had just over 100 roach.

With 350 more roach out, that takes the blog total up to 7960.

Out again in the morning with Ross. Big timber order comes into the yard any day now, and then a busy month of work brings this epic fish-a-thon to a close pale

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:46 pm

30/04/2017 - local trout fishery. 8c start, 14c finish. Building easterly, from 3 m/s to 7 m/s. Mostly bright, 0530 to 1130.

Another reasonable session, though poorer than yesterday. Ran out of roach reasonably early on, and fewer trout about than yesterday. Also snapped off again (on 3lb 6oz hooklink) by a large brown trout. I played it for the best part of 5 minutes before it decided to steam across the pond, bottoming out my (hollow 9) elastic and snapping me. Fed up with losing large fish, but I can't reach an adequate compromise between maximising the efficiency of catching roach and being able to hold onto large fish. The spade end knot is much less neat with line over 0.11mm (3lb 6oz) and it takes me several attempts on thicker line. Managed to get it tied on 0.13mm (4lb 12oz), but I've lost a bit of confidence in my elastic too. It's only about 4-5 months old, but it's seen a huge amount of work and I've had to trim down both the top (where it exits the tip of the pole) and the bottom (where it exits the bottom of the pole with the puller bung) as it was seriously perished. I do have some 0.04mm braid which I'm considering trying. It's 7.5lb breaking strain, but I'm not sure how it will tie as I've never used it for spade ends.

Anyway, I finished up with 3 trout. First one a brownie around 3.5lbs on deadbait, second a foul hooked stockie that due to the nature of the hook location felt much larger. The third was another brownie on worm that I've caught more than any other fish in the pond (it's about 3.5lb as well, but has only one fully developed eye). It took worm. 141 roach too. Ross ended up with 71 roach and 2 stockies.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue May 02, 2017 5:53 pm

02/05/2017 - local trout fishery. 8c start, rising to 13c. Building easterly to 4 m/s. Overcast. 0500-1045

Very poor water quality today. The algae (the main issue here) sometimes seems to mix back into the water (rather than congealing on top) resulting in extremely low visibility. I also suspect that oxygen content is reduced. Either way, it always goes the same way, with very few trout. I came extremely close to blanking with a lost rainbow on maggot (just a stockie - pinged off after a couple of minutes) and a lost brownie on deadbait (only on for a few seconds). A 4lb brown trout on deadbait late on saved that blank.

Almost no other trout activity. Not much rising, not much caught (though a passing fly angler did get a stockie on one of my poles, much to his delight. He also contributed about 10 roach).

The roach were quite steady all morning, with 200 caught. Nothing large at all though. Bloody annoying. When will the larger fish show?

In other news, I've switched my hooklink line to 7.5lb breaking strain braid which has the scarcely believable diameter of 0.04mm. It's lovely to tie the spade end knots with and I think the higher than expected number of roach are due to it's minute diameter. I had some concerns about the knot strength, but it's held the two smaller trout fine. Not been properly tested yet though.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Fri May 05, 2017 2:21 pm

05/0502017 - 0500-1230. 6c start and dead calm. Building easterly, up to 6 m/s, bright and sunny, 14c.

Very productive morning. Steady all morning on roach and trout. The first put in (prawn) was taken by a rainbow after about 10 seconds. That set the tone. 4 browns to 6lb, 7 rainbows (all standard stockie size) and 4 fish lost. Three of the lost fish were large browns. One I suspect was foul hooked. Another quite spectacularly took a roach as I was pulling it up and stayed on (on the size 22) for about a minute. Very strong fish, then the hook pinged.

Prawn seemed to be productive today, taking 5 fish. Maggot produced another 5 and a single brownie fell to deadbait. The roach were good and steady all morning too, ending up with 275, though not one larger fish.

When I got to 274 roach (and the going was fairly steady) I said to myself "One more roach and then home" and it ended up being the final rainbow. The session was bookended by rainbows in that way.

The new hook link braided set up with the extra strong hooks is working beautifully. Leaned heavily into some of the fish on the 7.5lb braid with no snappages, knot or hook failures. I'm much more confident with it than any of the monofilament.

(8645 roach sub total, 131 trout)

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun May 07, 2017 5:25 pm

07/05/2017 - 04:30 to 13:00. 10c start, warming to about 16c, little to no wind but alternating easterly and westerly. Sunny.

Another good, easy session. The lack of a prevailing wind meant awful algae issues, with rafts of congealed algae making fishing awkward at times.

First proper fish I hooked bloody snapped me off again. Even on 7.5lb braid, the large rainbows just zip under the surface so powerfully they break just about anything off. The limitations of a 3m pole.

After that I had my first tench of the year, which was fantastic. They only show May - September and they are few and far between. Only a pound or so, but a good little scrap.

After that, the roach and trout were steady. Ended up with 277 roach. I would have had many more, but a latish flurry of trout wiped out my swim completely. Had lots of 2lb ish rainbows today, ending up with 10. A number fell to maggot, but as many took prawn. 4 of the prawn takes just about ripped the pole out of it's holder. Lucky not to lose it to be honest! I had two really nice browns at 4lb and 6lb 3oz. The smaller took dead roach, the larger prawn. Had a 3.5lb pike early on on deadbait too.

It was another one of those days where by the time I left, the 12 trout I had was about the sum total of what the other 16 fisherman had caught. The water is too coloured for fly to be particularly effective and most of the bait anglers are clueless. Powerbait rules.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed May 10, 2017 11:16 pm

10/05/2017: 1600-2140. 4 m/s SW, occasionally bright, 15c dropping to 10c.

First afternoon session for a while. It wasn't great. Had to peg up opposite the peg I've been fishing hard for the past few weeks as there were people in 'my' peg. They left after 15 minutes so I moved. I'd only had one roach anyway.

The breeze early on was an issue. It's an exposed fishery, and a SW breeze will run up the length of the pond. It died off later on, but I will have missed a lot of roach bites.

I had a brownie reasonably early on on deadbait. 4lb. Same fish as last session and the session before that. It's always in the same spot and only ever takes deadbait.

The roach then developed reasonably, with a steady pace until I reached about 125 fish (I had one rainbow at tea time on prawn as I ate a McDonalds with my wife and daughter). Then a gaggle of rainbows moved, in, guzzling the maggots just under the surface. Had 4 of them, and they completely wiped out my roach. I could scarcely get a bite. I had a final brownie launch itself at my deadbait as I was pulling it out to pack up, and I'd swear it was the same fish I had on deadbait earlier. Daft thing.

Anyway, 129 roach, 5 rainbows and 2 browns. Not a single decent roach and no tench Crying or Very sad

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat May 13, 2017 8:47 pm

13?//05/2017 - New coarse fishery (Selmwood). 10c start, almost still and heavy showers. Building easterly, flipping to strong south westerly (7 m/s or so).

Finally got a session at Selmwood, but the weather was against us. The rain today was the first we've had in 6 weeks (genuinely - Edinburgh until today has only had 3mm of rain since the end of March. Driest place in the UK) and it seemed to switch all the carp off. There are thousands of carp in the water, but we didn't get a sniff of one. I had 58 perch (average 2-3oz), 3 ide, one oversized goldfish and a golden orfe at about 1.5lbs.

Until the weather significantly warms, it's going to be a tough place to fish. It's higher up than we are, and more exposed to weather. It is however absolutely stunning compared to any other fishery we go to. Ross had 43 perch too, though nothing else.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun May 14, 2017 9:56 pm

14/05/2017 - local trout fishery. 04:30 to 08:30. Southerly wind, 2 m/s building to 4 m/s 12 celsius.

Bit of a depressing session really. Had the obligatory couple of trout (stockie and a brownie at 4lb 7oz) and 135 small roach. Still no large roach, no tench and the water was absolutely shagged with the algae. Huge rafts floating by, making fishing impossible at times. I'm starting to think that the larger fish are going to stay way down, out the way of the algae. This is going to make them hard to catch (much harder than previous years).

Frustrated.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat May 20, 2017 9:14 am

19/05/2017 - local coarse fishery (Magiscroft). Virtually no wind all day, with a slight westerly appearing late afternoon. Bright and sunny all morning, close to 20c, slightly more overcast and cooler in the afternoon.

A nice day today, fishing with Ross and Tam (Tam had never caught a carp before, and earned the nickname of Mr Silver as caught literally everything except for carp until the dying moments when he got a little 6oz common). It wasn't a prolific day, but we all caught.

We spent the morning on one of the smaller ponds (Woodside) and the first carp I got must have been the largest one left in there (larger carp were netted out and put into the main loch) at 5lb 2oz. A nice surprise and took maggot about 2ft from my feet. A total of 9 fish from there for me, with 5 carp, 2 bream and a roach and a perch.

Then spent the afternoon on the main loch. I chose to peg up on a peg for focusing on the margins and carp. There was a lot of visible movement in the reeds, but it was a struggle to get a bite. The first two fish I did hook embarrassed me, with the first zipping down along the margin and dumping my hook in a reed bed. The second pulled like a train to my left and the hook pinged out. I thought it might be a case of hook to small (14) so switched to a 10. A lot more work later, and I finally got a lovely common at 7lb 7oz. Great fight from it too, but I need heavier elastic. Had a selection of other smaller fish too whilst waiting for the carp to take (another 21 fish - roach, perch, bream, gudgeon and a hybrid).

Had considered going fishing at the trout fishery this morning, but too tired.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun May 21, 2017 4:14 pm

21/05/2017 - local trout fishery (Hopetoun). 04:30 to 09:30. 10c, gradually warming, very light easterly.

Excellent session. The water is a little improved with a large skimmer being used periodically to skim the algae from the surface. Less surface accumulation means less being mixed back in when the wind picks up. Anyway, the roach were totally steady for the first three hours. Got to 180 fish in about 2hrs 45min. Slowed down after that, but still ended up with 270. Two rainbows (which, though less than usual, was 40% of the trout caught whilst I was there, and I was one of over 20 anglers) and two lovely little tench. There are very few tench in there, and I've never caught two in one session before.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  piketastic on Sun May 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Although I am pike through and through Mr Robinson. I must admit that your little blog as grown on me and I look forward to reading it. Keep them coming mate 👍 Craig.
piketastic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun May 21, 2017 9:38 pm

piketastic wrote:Although I am pike through and through Mr Robinson. I must admit that your little blog as grown on me and I look forward to reading it. Keep them coming mate 👍 Craig.

Very Happy 

Very happy that it's of interest to somebody Craig. I used to keep a fishing diary, but this is much easier (I type about three times as fast as I can write these days). Being able to look back through records, with weather and other factors helps me build an idea of trends and how effective various approaches are.

I'll be the first to admit that I've done a daft amount of fishing this year, but it's been largely down to being quiet at work waiting for a contract to start and the knowledge that in August when the second little girl arrives that I'll be a lot busier than I am now!

I love pike fishing, I really do, but my circumstances have changed a bit and the loch I used to fish isn't so convenient anymore. I used to work in the Highlands a lot, rented a cottage on that pretense, but it just happened to be 50 seconds drive from a 10 acre loch that I had to myself that averaged a fish every 45 minutes. Having been spoiled rotten for three years with that, I struggle to get excited about the local pike prospects, especially given the litter and general overpopulation in the central belt of Scotland.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue May 23, 2017 7:24 am

22/05/2017 - local trout fishery (Hopetoun) 17:30 - 21:45. Weather started out warm (17c), intermittently sunny turning to savage squall pushing through at 20:15 and cold (9c) after.

Would have been a great session had that bloody rain and wind not reared it's ugly head just after 8. Had 150 odd roach in the first 2 hours, at which point I thought I ought to stick out a prawn and let my fishing buddy catch up (we were effectively fishing the same swim, but I'm a little more practiced so was catching a bit quicker than him). The weather went from lovely to absolutely brutal in the space of 5 minutes. Almost dead calm to hanging onto the brolly for dear life. Had 7mm of rain in about 25-30 minutes, most of which fell sideways.

Then, almost as quickly as it started, it stopped and by the time we left just before 10, it was dead calm again.

Ended up with 170 roach, a brown trout around 5lb and a rainbow. No roach of size or any tench.

At it again tonight (wife and daughter away, so free pass) with no rain forecast, but a bit breezy.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed May 24, 2017 7:33 am

23/05/2017 - local trout fishery (Hopetoun). 1545 to 2215. Fairly breezy to start (SSW), calming with occasional heavy showers. Warm (17c, cooling to 13c).

A really good roach session, and my first blank on the trout for 39 sessions! Not that I didn't hook any (had hook pulls on two stockies and a brown), but it was going to happen sooner rather than later. It was fishing very poorly for trout today with only two trout caught by about 10 anglers (a rainbow to a competent fly angler as we arrived and a 4lb brownie on deadbait for Tam, or the apprentice, as he shall now be known).

The roach were steady all afternoon and evening. Occasional periods where they would slow down just a bit, but steady. We weren't on our usual peg due to the wind, and set up opposite. This part of the pond is really the only bit you could have a match on as there aren't any unfair features and the slope profile is very uniform. The apprentice and I pegged up about 10ft apart.

I had a cracking little tench (12oz or so) on paste pellet and a 3oz roach on that pole later on. Otherwise the set up was as usual with size 22 carp hook to 7.5lb braid fished dead depth (about 8ft here). Every now and again the roach would come up a foot or so, so I'd follow them. At about 21:00 they started fizzing on the surface so there was a very entertaining half hour catching them 2ft down.

Anyway, I ended up with 360 roach and the tench. Tam got 138 roach, 2 perch and the brownie. Tam also had 100 roach yesterday too.

(9955 roach since start of blog, including those caught by Ross and Tam)

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun May 28, 2017 7:30 am

We are on holiday in Germany at the moment, with the first few days in the Harz (mountains) south east of Hanover. The scenery is absolutely stunning (forested mountains and lots of lakes). We are staying near a small town called Clausthal-Zellerfeld, which seems to be unique in the area for the sheer number of manmade lakes. These date from several hundred years ago where year round water was required for the mining that took place here. There is no other evidence of the mining now, but for these stunning lakes (mostly sat in forest). I'm definitely going to come back to fish these lakes next year though, as you can get a three day pass for all 36 of them for 25 Euros.

I've swum in a couple of them but also been taunted by some epic populations of wild coarse fish. The lake from last night was chock full of large roach (8-12 oz) with about a hundred of them devouring any morsel of bread I chucked in. They were fearless too, and stood in the (gin clear) water, they came to within 5-6ft of you.

And then there are the carp. The first lake we swam in had a shallow bay at the windward end of the lake with no fewer than 50 carp browsing through the weeds. Of those 50, perhaps 3 were under 10lb and a couple were nudging 20lb. The lake from last night (with the large roach) had fewer carp and I perhaps only saw 5-6 different fish, but the smallest was no smaller than 16lb. Largest certainly 20lb. Large, wild carp that practically no one fishes for.

There are also lots of pike in many of these lakes, though I didn't see any.

I'll post some photos when I have a better internet connection.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:47 pm

After a week of angling related torture (so many huge carp and other fish, as well as stunning fishing locations that most of the locals aren't bothered to fish) in Germany, back to the grind at home giving the local fish hell.

02/06/2017 - 13c start, 18c high. Building SW, ending up about 4-5m/s. Some light rain showers, sunny spells.

Started off at Hopetoun at 05:30, and had 51 roach landed and a large trout come off. The water was however buggered as the skimmer had broken down, so algae coverage was complete. Packed up at 08:00 and went to Selmwood.

Nice enough day up there. A breeze, but not too excessive. Loads of perch all day (10:00 to 17:00) and ended up with about 196 of them, for around 20lbs. Also had 4 nice tench around a pound, a bream about 1.5lb, two orfe (one about 1.5lb), an ide, a large goldfish and about 5 roach. Total bag weight 28lbs, 210 fish. Ross had some nice fish too (79 total) with slightly larger tench and orfe. No carp though.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:34 pm

03/06/2017 - Magiscroft (0930 to 2045) - 13c calm start, followed by mental thunderstorms, torrential rain and hail, finishing with a stiffening southerly breeze and then dead calm.

A mostly rubbish, but at times brilliant session today! I'll quantify that statement.

We spent 2/3 of the day on one of the small ponds I'd not fished before (Birches 1). It's been fishing well, but didn't today on account of the aforementioned awful weather. Hail the size of peas, as well as a solid 3 hours of thunder. I lost a good carp early on (3-4lb at a guess) which was unexpected as there are few fish over a pound in there. A proceeded to lose another 3 decent carp which took the bait close to the water hawthorn bed, bolted straight in and dumped the hook in there. They aren't daft. Heavier elastic required when fishing close to weeds, even with smallish carp. I picked up 24 'bits', which consisted of gudgeon, roach, perch and a solitary 8oz carp.

Moved onto the main loch around 16:00 (I should mention that I sneaked a stalked carp out of the main loch around 10:00 on sweetcorn. About 3.5lbs) onto my usual margin peg at the south west end. Extremely quiet, with no action in the margin at all, and virtually nothing on the roach whip (I leave the margin line with sweetcorn on the rests and fish the whip). A few roach and perch, but nothing much.

I stalked around again at about 19:15, leaving a bit of bait in the margin of every peg on the shallow side of the lake. Tam picked up a lovely common at 8lb, which is a pb by about 5lb for him. Red sweetcorn (which we scabbed off the floor, left by someone else) did the job. I had a nice 5lb common (scale perfect) also on red sweetcorn. Later on I had a feeding carp swim straight over normal sweetcorn, so perhaps there is something in the colour.

With the drizzle starting to come on, I decided to retreat to the shelter of my brolly, popped my rig in, turned around to adjust the brolly and in that instant my pole was bent almost double with something large screaming off into the distance. A 15 minute fight ensued, most of which I didn't even see the top of my rig (20-40ft of elastic out) and most of that on all the sections of the pole. A lot of hold on for dear life moments. Eventually got the fish to the surface and we honestly struggled to fit it into the net.

Turns out I'd got the largest carp in the lake, and whilst she was significantly down on weight compared to her high of 19lb 13oz (due to spawning), she still went 17lb 4oz, which is a 7lb pb for me and more than doubles my largest fish caught on the pole (previously an 8lb 4oz rainbow). Absolutely over the moon. Especially lucky to get the largest fish in there, given that there are hundreds and hundreds of carp resident. Even more amusing is that it was hooked 2ft from the bank in less than 2ft of water.

Some photos:

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  piketastic on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Welcome back from holiday J. Can't wait for pike season for you to tell us some pike tales. Meanwhile, good fishing anyway. 👍
piketastic

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Jun 04, 2017 1:32 pm

piketastic wrote:Welcome back from holiday J.  Can't wait for pike season for you to tell us some pike tales. Meanwhile, good fishing anyway. 👍

Thanks Craig - it was lovely to be away and opened my eyes to the fishing possibilities abroad. I do believe that the largest pike on record was caught in Germany, so looking forward to chasing some Esox at some point there.

After about three years of fishing mostly for pike, I must admit that I have strayed away from piking. The reasons for this are multiple - change in circumstance meaning my favourite pike water is less convenient, deviation onto pole fishing and hammering little roach over winter (rather than piking), impatience at long days spent not catching a great deal etc etc. Lack of local waters that I actually want to fish for pike. I keep this blog principally for myself, as I like to look back at past days fishing and it's also useful in order to improve my angling. The few pike that I have been catching at the trout water have made themselves scarce of late, and I think it's partly spawning and partly they've wised up to me having caught them all several times.

I don't foresee being able to get away piking any time soon as we're expecting our second child in August so I won't be far from home for a bit.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:52 am

06/06/2017 - 10-14c, very heavy persistent rain all day, 3-5 m/s NW.

It was a washout yesterday. I'd planned to go fishing before work, but with the rain being so heavy, cancelled work and carried on fishing. We had 60mm of rain in 24 hours, with a steady 1.5 to 3mm per hour all day.

I rocked up at Hopetoun at 03:45 and the first couple of hours were very slow. Had a nice 5oz roach early on, but nothing else of note. No tench, no trout and not even a bite. I was there by myself, so had three poles out. One on maggot, one on sweetcorn or pellet and one on deadbait. Had one minor bite on sweetcorn and nothing on deadbait. Ended up with 225 roach.

I think when it rains heavily (which isn't usually good for fishing anyway) or it's very windy, it mixes the surface accumulation of algae back into the water, meaning the surface layers are extremely turbid. This seems to push the trout right down and on days when I've noticed very low clarity (under the surface layer of scum), very few trout take.

I went home for lunch and headed up to Parkley for some perch bashing. After the 2 perch I managed last time, anything was going to be an improvement, and I fished from 15:00 to 19:00. It was easy fishing, though the wind had increased a little. Had 69 perch from the east lake and 36 from the west. It tended to be very quick on each swim until you ran out of perch. Then the sticklebacks (huge mutant 3 spine sticklebacks) became a real issue. Maggots to a size 16 were no use. Even large earthworm on a size 10 were not immune (I caught three sticklebacks on the size 10). Ended up with 105 perch (for about 16lb) and 12 sticklebacks as well as 2 rainbows (two lost, including one that snapped me because I was bullying it in and completely forgot I was on 2lb fluorocarbon!).

A slight change in approach is required to tackle Parkley. By all means start on the pole, empty the swim and then move onto small plastic lures (a new area of angling for me) to cover more ground and hopefully tempt some of the larger perch (to 2lb I hear).

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top