General fishing blog of a conflicted fishing addict

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: General fishing blog of a conflicted fishing addict

Post  J Robinson on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:58 pm

07/06/2016 - Parkley. Calm, 17c, sunny intervals.

Sneaked a 2.5hr session between 20:00 and 22:30. Got it into my head yesterday whilst pole fishing that I wanted to try jigging soft plastics and drop shotting for the perch. It was however almost a complete waste of time. The perch are disinclined to chase lures there, and I only got 8 (5 caught on someone elses spinner). The first two were good sized but the remainder dinky.

Back to the pole, and I'll start putting out the second rod on deadbait again.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:05 pm

Bunked off work at lunch time today due to even more torrential rain. 110mm so far this week. Ended up at Magiscroft, where is was raining for almost the entire afternoon. The breeze subsided later on.

It was a mostly crap session. I was on the pole down the margin again, but also a small carp rod down my right margin. I switched between all sorts of baits, and had loads of takes down the right side, but fluffed up many of the strikes. I'm really out of practice on a rod and line. I got a 6lb common on the pole (though smashed my top kit due to gripping it in the wrong place and the heavier elastic) and a 2.5lb F1 on the right. Ross pinched a couple of small bream out my swim on maggot, which is what I suspect was giving me constant bites on pellet and luncheon meat. A couple of small perch too.

This weather is driving me to despair. Back a week now from holiday and it's rained every sodding day. The long term forecast isn't any better, with more rain and fairly strong winds. The recent deluge has cooled the water by at least 5c and has largely ruined the carp fishing.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:26 am

12/06/2017 - Hopetoun. 0415 to 0900. Blustery southerly wind, 8 m/s 13c. Very occasional shower.

A due southerly wind isn't too bad at Hopetoun as a small hill gives you good shelter (for the most part). Didn't stop the wind getting hold of my umbrella at one stage, launching it 20ft in the air, and 30ft the right. Only just got it with the pole before it sailed across the pond.

A generally poor session. Was extremely slow to start with fewer than 10 fish in the first hour. Eventually got into some sort of rhythm switching between whipping them off the surface and the usual on the bottom presentation. Got to use one of my new flick tip whips, which was really good fun (the 2.5m). Ended up with 140 small roach, 3 tiny perch and 2 nice tench on paste pellet (about 12-14oz and 1.5lbs). The larger tench was covered in scarlet coloured (like birth) marks, which I am led to believe do the fish no harm.

Another session with no trout. That is 4 in a row. Something very wrong with the water. That being said, the 115mm of rain last week won't have helped.

Going to try pushing out on longer pole and fishing deeper next time. Nothing of quality but for the tench coming into the margins.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:42 pm

13/06/2017 - Parkley. 1830 to 2230. 3-5 m/s SW calming later on, overcast and occasional spots of rain. 19c.

Bit of a mediocre session with Ross fishing for perch. Had a total of 60 on the pole over those 4 hours, but it was tough going, with no consistent catching. Smaller today too. Ross had about 25 or so as he spent ages a battling tangles and getting used to fishing a 6m pole to hand. No trout though, thankfully.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:35 am

16/06/2017 - Magiscroft. 1300 - 2200. 3-4m/s breeze, southerly.

Well that's at least 5 fairly crap sessions in a row. Had intended to fish this morning rather than last night, but the grab on my telehandler self destructed so work was off whilst it was being repaired. Headed over to Magiscroft for some evening carp and to try to get to grips with 13m on the pole. It's a learning curve and would have been far easier had the fish been amenable to feeding. Had 20 small fish from the Woodside pond (largest a bream at about 1/2lb) before heading down to the Main Loch.

Set up on the usual peg with the attractive margin to the left. Virtually no activity on it all afternoon. Stalked round a bit in the afternoon with the pole and managed a common at 8lb 2oz, hooked on worm in quite literally 6 inches of water. Lost another common at about 5lb later with a hook pull. Both on lobworm. There were a few carp in the margin late afternoon but very little activity into dark, which is odd. We've had persistently crap weather since we came back from Germany (16 days ago - windy, and it's rained every day since our return) with virtually no sunshine. I'm wondering if the weather has upset the more typical feeding pattern of the carp coming into the margins in the evening. Either way, it's tedious and either I'm getting worse at fishing, or the weather isn't helping things.

Tam had commons at 5lb 4oz and 6lb 8oz.

Coarse fishing in Scotland really isn't great.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:00 am

18/06/2017 - Magiscroft. 1700 - 2230. 23c falling to 20c, gentle westerly breeze.

I've discovered surface fishing for carp and it's amazing! Started off the first couple of hours on the pole, with a line out on popped up boilie. Given than the carp were browsing the surface, I thought I'd try chucking out a pop up to see whether they would take it from the surface. The answer was yes. 45 minutes or so fishing the boilie on the surface resulted in no fish or indeed takes, despite them taking my freebies. I managed to blag some dog biscuits off another angler and that's when the fun started.

I've not fished with rod and line much the past year or so. I'm rusty. The first fish I hooked snapped me (9.5lb low diameter hook link - not a fan of low diameter away from the pole) due to fractionally heavy drag setting and over striking. Rookie error. I'm used to setting trebles with 50lb braid on pike. I must have had 40 odd takes in 3.5 hours on the biscuit. I hooked into about 10 of them, landing 6. Smallest just over 3lb, 4 fish at 5-7lb and a lovely leather carp at 11lb 8oz.

Next time it's baking hot like this, I'm leaving the pole at home and going stalking with dog biscuits. Outstanding fun.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:41 am

The 11lb 8oz fish from last night:

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:14 am

20/06/2017 - Magiscroft. 1730 to 2230. Very similar weather to yesterday, but with a slightly stronger breeze.

Couldn't resist another go on surface fishing. Left all the poles at home and glad I did. The increased ripple from the breeze was a pain, but still had 8 off the surface and a further 4 on prawn in the margin in the evening. Largest was a mirror off the surface at 10lb exactly. What was nice was that I cast to a group of carp where the leading fish was clearly larger and it took it immediately. Sight fishing at it's most exciting.

As the light faded, it became difficult to spot the fish, so we went into the margins and prawn proved very effective. Had three fish on free lined prawn (2 commons, 1 F1) and then a final fish on float fished prawn. Lost a nice common on float fished pellet that somehow bent the hook out. Wasn't that large either. Also had a frustrating fish loss on the floater earlier with an epic tangle around my reel on the strike. Ended up playing the fish by hand for a while before it came off.

Anyway 12 fish, averaging about 5-6lb, largest 10lb in 5 hours. Can't complain at that! Tam had 9 and is thoroughly hooked too!

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 pm

21/06/2017 - 1730 to 2215 Magiscroft. 18-19c, light easterly, occasional light shower and overcast.

Poor session by the standards set earlier in the week. The cooler temperatures, coupled with the easterly meant far fewer fish on the surface. I had a couple of takes on the dog biscuit and nothing more.

Reasonable numbers of carp in the margins, but very hard to get any kind of take. Still seem to be half thinking about spawning I'd say. The bream were at it.

Anyway, I managed to winkle out three at 5lb 10oz, 6lb 2oz and 5lb. Only person out of 7 to catch. Only one fish bumped off and no fish lost. Very tough indeed.

The weather is to deteriorate into the normal dreary Scottish summer shite for the next week or so, so the carp rods will get a rest for a bit.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Yesterday at 8:50 pm

23/06/2017 - 1330 to 1930. Hopetoun. Strong WSW (8-9m/s), quite warm (18c).

Crap session really. 200 roach in total (a few perch mixed in) and only one of any size. No trout, no tench and I think that the water is closer than ever to dying. Tam had about 130-140 roach, so that brings my overall total out of there to nearly 17000 since October last year, and I think that's me about done. I'll try to resist the temptation to go there, and I can't promise I won't, but I honestly think that the algae is about to kill the place. To go 39 sessions without blanking on trout and then 5 blanks in a row means some sort of serious shift in fish behaviour. I'm not doing anything differently and virtually no one is catching trout at the moment. The large roach are almost completely absent and the pike have vanished too. I'll watch with interest to see what happens.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic View next topic Back to top