Piking will return this winter but it's carp on the surface for now!

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Piking will return this winter but it's carp on the surface for now!

Post  J Robinson on Wed Jun 07, 2017 10:58 pm

07/06/2016 - Parkley. Calm, 17c, sunny intervals.

Sneaked a 2.5hr session between 20:00 and 22:30. Got it into my head yesterday whilst pole fishing that I wanted to try jigging soft plastics and drop shotting for the perch. It was however almost a complete waste of time. The perch are disinclined to chase lures there, and I only got 8 (5 caught on someone elses spinner). The first two were good sized but the remainder dinky.

Back to the pole, and I'll start putting out the second rod on deadbait again.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:05 pm

Bunked off work at lunch time today due to even more torrential rain. 110mm so far this week. Ended up at Magiscroft, where is was raining for almost the entire afternoon. The breeze subsided later on.

It was a mostly crap session. I was on the pole down the margin again, but also a small carp rod down my right margin. I switched between all sorts of baits, and had loads of takes down the right side, but fluffed up many of the strikes. I'm really out of practice on a rod and line. I got a 6lb common on the pole (though smashed my top kit due to gripping it in the wrong place and the heavier elastic) and a 2.5lb F1 on the right. Ross pinched a couple of small bream out my swim on maggot, which is what I suspect was giving me constant bites on pellet and luncheon meat. A couple of small perch too.

This weather is driving me to despair. Back a week now from holiday and it's rained every sodding day. The long term forecast isn't any better, with more rain and fairly strong winds. The recent deluge has cooled the water by at least 5c and has largely ruined the carp fishing.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:26 am

12/06/2017 - Hopetoun. 0415 to 0900. Blustery southerly wind, 8 m/s 13c. Very occasional shower.

A due southerly wind isn't too bad at Hopetoun as a small hill gives you good shelter (for the most part). Didn't stop the wind getting hold of my umbrella at one stage, launching it 20ft in the air, and 30ft the right. Only just got it with the pole before it sailed across the pond.

A generally poor session. Was extremely slow to start with fewer than 10 fish in the first hour. Eventually got into some sort of rhythm switching between whipping them off the surface and the usual on the bottom presentation. Got to use one of my new flick tip whips, which was really good fun (the 2.5m). Ended up with 140 small roach, 3 tiny perch and 2 nice tench on paste pellet (about 12-14oz and 1.5lbs). The larger tench was covered in scarlet coloured (like birth) marks, which I am led to believe do the fish no harm.

Another session with no trout. That is 4 in a row. Something very wrong with the water. That being said, the 115mm of rain last week won't have helped.

Going to try pushing out on longer pole and fishing deeper next time. Nothing of quality but for the tench coming into the margins.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:42 pm

13/06/2017 - Parkley. 1830 to 2230. 3-5 m/s SW calming later on, overcast and occasional spots of rain. 19c.

Bit of a mediocre session with Ross fishing for perch. Had a total of 60 on the pole over those 4 hours, but it was tough going, with no consistent catching. Smaller today too. Ross had about 25 or so as he spent ages a battling tangles and getting used to fishing a 6m pole to hand. No trout though, thankfully.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:35 am

16/06/2017 - Magiscroft. 1300 - 2200. 3-4m/s breeze, southerly.

Well that's at least 5 fairly crap sessions in a row. Had intended to fish this morning rather than last night, but the grab on my telehandler self destructed so work was off whilst it was being repaired. Headed over to Magiscroft for some evening carp and to try to get to grips with 13m on the pole. It's a learning curve and would have been far easier had the fish been amenable to feeding. Had 20 small fish from the Woodside pond (largest a bream at about 1/2lb) before heading down to the Main Loch.

Set up on the usual peg with the attractive margin to the left. Virtually no activity on it all afternoon. Stalked round a bit in the afternoon with the pole and managed a common at 8lb 2oz, hooked on worm in quite literally 6 inches of water. Lost another common at about 5lb later with a hook pull. Both on lobworm. There were a few carp in the margin late afternoon but very little activity into dark, which is odd. We've had persistently crap weather since we came back from Germany (16 days ago - windy, and it's rained every day since our return) with virtually no sunshine. I'm wondering if the weather has upset the more typical feeding pattern of the carp coming into the margins in the evening. Either way, it's tedious and either I'm getting worse at fishing, or the weather isn't helping things.

Tam had commons at 5lb 4oz and 6lb 8oz.

Coarse fishing in Scotland really isn't great.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:00 am

18/06/2017 - Magiscroft. 1700 - 2230. 23c falling to 20c, gentle westerly breeze.

I've discovered surface fishing for carp and it's amazing! Started off the first couple of hours on the pole, with a line out on popped up boilie. Given than the carp were browsing the surface, I thought I'd try chucking out a pop up to see whether they would take it from the surface. The answer was yes. 45 minutes or so fishing the boilie on the surface resulted in no fish or indeed takes, despite them taking my freebies. I managed to blag some dog biscuits off another angler and that's when the fun started.

I've not fished with rod and line much the past year or so. I'm rusty. The first fish I hooked snapped me (9.5lb low diameter hook link - not a fan of low diameter away from the pole) due to fractionally heavy drag setting and over striking. Rookie error. I'm used to setting trebles with 50lb braid on pike. I must have had 40 odd takes in 3.5 hours on the biscuit. I hooked into about 10 of them, landing 6. Smallest just over 3lb, 4 fish at 5-7lb and a lovely leather carp at 11lb 8oz.

Next time it's baking hot like this, I'm leaving the pole at home and going stalking with dog biscuits. Outstanding fun.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:41 am

The 11lb 8oz fish from last night:

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:14 am

20/06/2017 - Magiscroft. 1730 to 2230. Very similar weather to yesterday, but with a slightly stronger breeze.

Couldn't resist another go on surface fishing. Left all the poles at home and glad I did. The increased ripple from the breeze was a pain, but still had 8 off the surface and a further 4 on prawn in the margin in the evening. Largest was a mirror off the surface at 10lb exactly. What was nice was that I cast to a group of carp where the leading fish was clearly larger and it took it immediately. Sight fishing at it's most exciting.

As the light faded, it became difficult to spot the fish, so we went into the margins and prawn proved very effective. Had three fish on free lined prawn (2 commons, 1 F1) and then a final fish on float fished prawn. Lost a nice common on float fished pellet that somehow bent the hook out. Wasn't that large either. Also had a frustrating fish loss on the floater earlier with an epic tangle around my reel on the strike. Ended up playing the fish by hand for a while before it came off.

Anyway 12 fish, averaging about 5-6lb, largest 10lb in 5 hours. Can't complain at that! Tam had 9 and is thoroughly hooked too!

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:26 pm

21/06/2017 - 1730 to 2215 Magiscroft. 18-19c, light easterly, occasional light shower and overcast.

Poor session by the standards set earlier in the week. The cooler temperatures, coupled with the easterly meant far fewer fish on the surface. I had a couple of takes on the dog biscuit and nothing more.

Reasonable numbers of carp in the margins, but very hard to get any kind of take. Still seem to be half thinking about spawning I'd say. The bream were at it.

Anyway, I managed to winkle out three at 5lb 10oz, 6lb 2oz and 5lb. Only person out of 7 to catch. Only one fish bumped off and no fish lost. Very tough indeed.

The weather is to deteriorate into the normal dreary Scottish summer shite for the next week or so, so the carp rods will get a rest for a bit.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:50 pm

23/06/2017 - 1330 to 1930. Hopetoun. Strong WSW (8-9m/s), quite warm (18c).

Crap session really. 200 roach in total (a few perch mixed in) and only one of any size. No trout, no tench and I think that the water is closer than ever to dying. Tam had about 130-140 roach, so that brings my overall total out of there to nearly 17000 since October last year, and I think that's me about done. I'll try to resist the temptation to go there, and I can't promise I won't, but I honestly think that the algae is about to kill the place. To go 39 sessions without blanking on trout and then 5 blanks in a row means some sort of serious shift in fish behaviour. I'm not doing anything differently and virtually no one is catching trout at the moment. The large roach are almost completely absent and the pike have vanished too. I'll watch with interest to see what happens.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:28 am

24/06.2017 - Parkley. 1700-2130. 14c dropping to 11c, strong WSW (9-10 m/s) occasional shower, occasional sun.

Miserable weather, but decided to spend a few hours perching. Had 73 perch, a rainbow and 25-30 oversized sticklebacks. Also had a rainbow of about 2lb. Lost a much larger rainbow (it was on for a few minutes) but the hook wasn't set properly as I didn't strike it and it didn't really know it was on. A couple of minutes of gentle fighting and it pinged off. Perch up to about 5oz.

Sick of the fecking weather. 14c is not summer weather. 12 years in Scotland now and sick of the place. Cannot wait to leave.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:58 am

26/06/2017 - Hopetoun. 0350-0745. Calm, with very slight westerly. 12-13c, overcast.

I couldn't resist one last go as the weather conditions were perfect. Waste of time though. 100 small roach, a 2lb rainbow and nothing else. Had three lines out the whole time. A short line on maggot continuously, a short line on sweetcorn or paste pellet continuously, and alternating the longer line (7m out, 5.5m depth) on pellet or sweetcorn or the short line on deadbait. All fish were caught on short line maggot. Quite a few knocks and dinks on the short sweetcorn/pellet line, but only one bite that actually took the float under, and even that was only for a second. Neither the deadbait or the long line saw any bites.

I must admit that the water was looking a bit clearer today. Perhaps the dye is working to suppress the algae. However, the radical change in the water chemistry of late has buggered the fishing completely.

I left early, and had a wander around a much larger former quarry in the village. It's known for pike and tench, though that's in the historical sense. Access is tricky, and I walked around for about 35-40 minutes. Clarity is excellent (8ft plus), with deep weed beds. Ideal pike and tench territory. It took a while, but with the polaroids on I did see a tiny jack pike (10 inches maybe) and a couple of lovely tench (nudging 2lb a piece I'd guess).

It's not quite so convenient, but I will give it a go. It's an unmanaged water, so litter is a bit of an issue, but nothing that a black bag and a litter picker won't sort. I'll fish three lines there, with two for pike and one for tench.

(157 trout total)

Last edited by J Robinson on Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:26 pm

27/06/2017 - local quarry. 20:15 - 22:30. Light easterly, 12-13c, overcast. Heavy rain earlier in the day.

Not the best weather to try out a new water, especially for tench. Glad I did though, and it's quite different fishing to what I've become used to. Nearly 10 minutes to walk to the swim, including some fairly unpleasantly steep and overgrown paths.

Had three nice little tench, the largest just over 1.5lbs I'd guess. Two females and a male on red maggot. Lost one on my first cast when the fecking line wrapped around the end of the rod and I was unable to strike. The swim is very confined with overhanging branches so I'll blame that.

Loads of fish movement on the surface, and the water is known to have pike in it. I may take a pike rod out later in the week. For now, I'll focus on tench.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:17 am

28/06/2017 - 0400-0730. Local quarry. 4-5 m/s NE breeze, 11 celsius, occasional spots of rain.

Well summer weather it is not, but the water is still warm and the tench still seem to be feeding. Had two on sweetcorn (1lb 10oz and 1lb 12oz) and a confused perch that took the sweetcorn on the drop (7oz, so an OK size).

I'll be back tomorrow morning, weather permitting.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:05 pm

29/06/2017 - local quarry, 1730 to 2115. Heavy rain all day, easing to drizzle by late afternoon 11c with northerly wind. Not ideal weather.

Blank. Someone had my peg (though technically his peg as he's been fishing the water for nearly 30 years). Nice chap, serious about tench, confident that was the best peg on the lake by far (which leaves me feeling fairly smug as I settled on that one inside 45 minutes having walked around the 7.5 acre water) but he caught nothing either. Ross got a small perch, and I saw a nice pike top just infront of us. I'll take pike rods up at some point soon.

I ended up fishing the far side on one of the other accessible points, though it wasn't ideal. 7-8ft shelf, completely covered in weed sharply dropping to 17ft with virtually no features. Fished mostly deep on prawn and pellet and had nothing.

Probably back early doors tomorrow.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:52 am

30/06/2017 - local quary. 0400-1030. Gentle NE, occasionally calm. 12c

Stayed rather longer than I intended to, but very slow to start. Had a tiny pike (about a pound) on the spinner and lost a good tench in a sunken branch. Too strong and struggled to stop it. Had a 1.5lb tench later on, slightly further out than usual and then much later the same fish I lost earlier (scuff marks on it mean I'm 99% certain it's the lost fish from before). 3lb on the button and a PB.

Maybe back this evening.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:24 pm

Unable to make it up yesterday evening as my wife had a particularly nasty migraine. Pregnancy doesn't help in that department.

01/07/2017 - local quarry. 0400-1100. Millpond calm for first few hours, then northwesterly building a little. Only 3 m/s I'd guess. 13c, rising to 18c on leaving.

Very good session. 5 tench all in, largest 3lb 1oz. Lost one nice fish (2-2.5lb I'd guess) with a hook pull. A truly tiny pike (4oz maybe) on spinner and a tiny perch on maggot. Not bothering with the pike from now on as nothing of size apparent. I finished fishing for tench at 1030 and wandered around for a good while with the spinner, but not one follow.

The tench are definitely most keen on maggots. I've been through maggots, sweetcorn, red sweetcorn, soft pellets, hard pellets, paste pellets and prawn and maggots are hands down the best. Whereas they might toy with a pellet or sweetcorn, more often than not, they just take the maggots and go. 6 maggots on a size 12 carp hook.

Back in the morning. Hoping to see a 4lb fish sooner rather than later.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:18 pm

02/07/2017 - 0400 to 1130. Local quarry. 11c start, 14c finish. Westerly 5-6m/s though partially sheltered.

Very good session, with almost all the fish coming from one of the three rods. Bite after bite. First tench came from the right rod (all float fished, 4 inches overdepth on maggot) after having lost one. A nice perch of 9-10oz too. Then lost a good fish on the left rod and had a couple more screaming takes (pick up bait, run it into the weedbed then spit it out). After that I concentrated more on the left rod, and had 9 fish on it (for a total of 10). The 11th fish was lost a few feet from the net and was a chunk at I'd guess 4lb. Gutted!

Main difference today was feeding maggot, but I fed maggot across the whole swim, but only really had takes on the left rod.

We've our second child due in 5-6 weeks, and I'm planning to fish most days until then. The quarry is a 5 minute drive from the house, so very convenient. Having great fun with the tench, and I've had 22 fish this week.

Left the pike rod at home as the tiny jacks are no fun.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:42 pm

03/07/2017 - local quarry. 0400-0930. 13c start, 18c finish. Calm initially, building westerly with a hint of north up to 5-6 m/s

Good session this morning, though lost a couple of fish and bumped off three more. That hasn't happened much up to this point. Anyway, got 6 tench up to about 2.5lbs. 3 of them came of dendrobaena worm (with a couple of dead red maggots to hold the worm on. Seemed to get stronger takes on worm, so I'll persist with them. Still feeding a lot of maggot over the top and also a bit of crumb and 2mm micro pellets.

Had a throwable rake fabricated today as well, so will rake the swim at some point this week. There is a bit of fine weed on the bottom which is problematic when the wind picks up. Even fishing 4 inches overdepth, the float drags a little bit, fouling the hook bait in the weed. I could use a swimfeeder, but I really prefer using the float. The raking will also bring the tench in to investigate, or so I'm told.

Speaking to a neighbour today, there were apparently plenty of decent pike in the water until a few years ago when it was completely emptied by Eastern Europeans. I've seen one pike around 4-5lb, but all others have been under a pound. It will take some time for it to recover I expect.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:26 pm

04/07/2017 - local quarry. 0400 to 1300. Calm initially, with building gentle east breeze and persistent moderate rain. 11c and honestly felt like winter.

Frustrating session today. Intensely so. Missed too many bites and lost the first 3 fish. Ended up with 6, including one to near 3lb. Lost a further fish too.

The issue with three lines is keeping an eye on them all. The bites can sometimes be fast and I think that the waggler is providing too much resistance. Having to fish it over depth does help either.

So going to try the pole in the morning. I've figured out how to set up and I'm hoping to hit a lot more of these bites.

I also spent about an hour raking out the swim this evening, so reckon that will bring the tench in en mass too.

Much prefer using the pole where possible, and it should allow me to better control the fish, steering them away from snags and weeds. We shall see!

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:49 am

05/07/2017 - local quarry. 0400-0930. Calm start, building easterly. 11c.

One of the worst mornings fishing I've ever had. Total frustration. Started out on the pole, which was a nightmare. The peg isn't large enough or level enough for the seat box and shipping back is very difficult. I fished a channel I'd raked last night for 1.5hours without a bite.

Went home and grabbed the rods, but the wind had picked up a bit and with the tow, i caught nothing. I tried the other side of the lake (quite a trek) but also nothing.

I did have a minute perch on the usual peg, but that was it.

The issue is this blanket weed covering the bottom. It's like a filamentous algae, and we hauled a huge amount out last night. It's effectively increased the depth from about 2.7m to 4m. The tench seem to feed on the top of the weed, but holding the bait static is nearly impossible with a float. I'm wondering about ledgering an empty cage feeder on a helicopter rig. The feeder sits just in the algae, but the hookbait just comes to est on top. Worth a try.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:33 pm

06/07/2017 - local quarry. 0530-1330. Totally calm, overcast ocassional very light drizzle.

I struggled to get up this morning. Should have been out first light but hit snooze. Missed the best time for certain, and I don't think flat calm is the best for the tench fishing. Water is too clear and even 12ft down they see you. Had three in the end with the largest 3lb 2oz. Lost a good fish (4lb ish) rushing it past the sunken tree so spent an hour and a half dragging the sunken tree out. It came out in three bits, totaling around 500kg and it was 22ft long. Hard work!

Will be out again tomorrow, hoping that all the disturbance in the swim hasn't put off the fish.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:15 am

07/07/2017 - local quarry. 0400-0900, near enough calm and occasional light rain. 14c rising to 16c

Really good, consistent session. Bites throughout the morning and 6 fish landed. The only one lost was a fish that took the bait and bolted whilst I was unhooking the first fish. Had a lovely female tench at 3lb 10oz, which is a pb. Having pulled out the snag, I was able to play it comfortably, rather than trying to rush it over the top of the tree.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:52 am

08/07/2017 - local quarry. 0410 to 1000. Calm and without clouds initially, clouding over around 0900. Building westerly, about 5 m/s on leaving. 10c rising to 16c.

Reasonable session, though the opposite of yesterday. First three tench came quickly between 04:15 and 04:50, then no bites for 4 hours (plenty of Infinite Monkey Cage on BBC iPlayer to listen to!) followed by a final fish. All small today, averaging 1lb 2oz.

Better forecast tomorrow with thick cloud and slightly lower wind. It was remarkable that the bites were forthcoming until sunrise, and then again when it clouded over.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:39 pm

09/07/2017 - local quarry. 0400 to 1130. Mostly calm, with gentle SW at times. Very overcast, 12-13 celsius

I am reminded that I know very little about what causes the tench to feed or not! Yesterday was a frantic rush of feeding before 5am. Today, I barely had a bite until 8am. Took 4 hours to get the first fish, and I only ended up with three. Best as a marginal pb of 3lb 11oz. Lost 4 more fish, and had quite a lot of bites in the last 2 hours or so. That's 50 tench caught in the past 12 days now. Having a lot of fun - they are intelligent fish that fight very hard for their size.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top