PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What rod you using?

+4
silkmen
lowdouble
J Robinson
lorano
8 posters

Go down

What rod you using? Empty What rod you using?

Post  lorano Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:46 am

Just wondering what rods you guys use for deadbaiting?I was using a couple of 12ft 2.75lb carp rods(unbranded)but my good lady bought me a Fox Predator 12ft 3.25lb bait rod for crimbo and i added another one to that.Broke one of them in at Loch Awe and found it flawless.Really slim rod but very sturdy when casting a heavy rig and when playing a fish(9lb) still bent enough to get excited about.They were 75 quid a pop but seem very good rods😊

lorano

Back to top Go down

What rod you using? Empty Re: What rod you using?

Post  J Robinson Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:11 am

Savage Gear MPP on all four. Two are the lighter 8ft green ones and the other two are the heavier black rods (one 8ft, one 9ft). They retail at about £65 each and are superb. I'll tend to use the lighter rods for lure fishing, twitching a deadbait or general deadbaiting and I'll use the heavier rods for heavier baits, fishing the weedy swims or longer distance. I never fish at more than 30 yards though. I dislike long rods for piking, especially on a boat where they aren't practical. They are all coupled with 4000 series Shimano baitrunners with 50lb braid.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:16 am

Fox predator 10' 6" on boat superb rods. Wychwood rogue power pike 3.5 lb for drifters and sunk float pat rigs. Daiwa black widows for static legering. I have 29 rods set up in the man cave lol lol lol.
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:21 am

lowdouble wrote:Fox predator 10' 6" on boat superb rods. Wychwood rogue power pike 3.5 lb for drifters and sunk float pat rigs. Daiwa black widows for static legering.  I have 29 rods set up in the man cave lol lol lol.

Good grief! I thought I had a lot (8 rods, 3 poles)!

J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  silkmen Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:22 am

fox worrior s50.all my set up is fox except my hooks lol
silkmen
silkmen

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:31 pm

silkmen wrote:fox worrior s50.all my set up is fox except my hooks lol
ha ha jake yah tart Twisted Evil
mine are greys prodigy 2.75lb test for short range and 3lb test for bigger distances, old shimano 10'000 reels for normal,, penn affinities for range.  all relatively cheap and very reliable Wink
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:04 pm

Fox predator elite for dead baiting. Boat fishing are Greys and alligators. There are 47 rods in my the shed we

are moving house soon I may have to get rid of some them.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  rozzo Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:28 pm

psion wrote:Fox predator elite for dead baiting.  Boat fishing are Greys and alligators. There are 47 rods in my the shed we

send some over here lol
rozzo
rozzo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:22 am

psion wrote:Fox predator elite for dead baiting.  Boat fishing are Greys and alligators. There are 47 rods in my the shed we

don't even ask how many I have , bet its more than 47
some of these go way back when I started fishing so they have mounted up over the years, do use them though for different types of fishing Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:26 am

For some reason I have six fly fishing rods and don't go fly fishing. I have tried fly fishing for pike but not had one yet.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Thats only my predator tackle lol. dont even start with coarse and pole fishing lol. Addicts every single one of us lol. We ought to start an Anglers anonymous page on Facebook!!!!!!
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  mal wynne Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:38 pm

I,m scared to count how many rods I,ve got now but it,s got to be well over 40, theres 6 lure rods hangin up from the garage ceiling with reels on ready to go, at least 7 beachcasters, 5 fly rods plus all my deadbaiting and coarse rods, and a few boat rods and I havent been on a charter for years, I really must have a word with meself

mal wynne

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:39 pm

I forgot about the beachcasters there in the loft.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:37 pm

psion wrote: I forgot about the beachcasters there in the loft.
ohh yes and that's not including my rods I have in my hideaway in wales , I have told myself no more rods Twisted Evil bounce
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:50 pm

psion wrote:For some reason I have six fly fishing rods and don't go fly fishing. I have tried fly fishing for pike but not had one yet.
Theres nothing better than taking a pike on a large fry lure on a fly rod , especially a good sized one , pick a venue that's shallow and lots of weed, Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  psion Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:55 am

I have tried it when am in Ireland. I have had a few follows from small pike but no takes I may have to give it more

time this year.

psion

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:03 pm

psion wrote:I have tried it when am in Ireland. I have had a few follows from small pike but no takes I may have to give it more

time this year.
be warned it can get addictive Twisted Evil
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:10 pm

Bought a Fox Rage 7ft 10-30g spinning rod the other day for lighter pike fishing and it's lovely. At £30, it's a bargain and ideal for canals, or other short range work.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:29 pm

the rods I am using at the moment are as follows

1 greys 12 ft 2... 3/4lb test x2
2 greys 12ft 6inch drifter rod
3 10ft matt hayes 2...1/2 test for boat fishing x2
4 toothy critter jerk bait rod 150g and over to cast the largest replicants
5 drennan essox deadbait wobble rod /spinning / boat / light lures etc
6 drop shot rod matched with 20lb braid
7 2x mick brown rods for close to medium range fishing which I don't use much because they are mint ......only when showing off... What a Face

stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Does anyone know how the test curve rating corresponds to casting weight on spinning rods? I only use spinning rods rather than rated TC rods and as yet have never felt the need for anything heavier.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:43 pm

J Robinson wrote:Does anyone know how the test curve rating corresponds to casting weight on spinning rods? I only use spinning rods rather than rated TC rods and as yet have never felt the need for anything heavier.
it normally gives you the casting weight in grams on the rod but a 2lb test curve would suffice for wobbling and twitching using smallish baits and small spinners/ rubber type lures , obviously when casting heavy lure you need some rod with backbone to work the lure correctly and to cast the large rubber / jerk/ plug/or large deadbait for wobbling type these are normally around 6ft/7ft in length...Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:06 pm

stubbo wrote:
J Robinson wrote:Does anyone know how the test curve rating corresponds to casting weight on spinning rods? I only use spinning rods rather than rated TC rods and as yet have never felt the need for anything heavier.
it normally gives you the casting weight in grams on the rod  but a 2lb test curve would suffice for wobbling and twitching using smallish baits and small spinners/ rubber type lures , obviously when casting heavy lure you need some rod with backbone to work the lure correctly and to cast  the large rubber / jerk/ plug/or large deadbait for wobbling  type  these are normally around 6ft/7ft in length...Very Happy  

The Savage Gear rods I use state casting weights of 50-90g, and will handle plugs up to about 12". Don't much like lure fishing in open water (small rivers are another matter) so I don't use them as intended. Great boat rods - long, full EVA handle means you can really lean into them whilst playing a fish and at 8ft, they aren't too large to clutter up the boat.

J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:52 pm

J Robinson wrote:
stubbo wrote:
it normally gives you the casting weight in grams on the rod  but a 2lb test curve would suffice for wobbling and twitching using smallish baits and small spinners/ rubber type lures , obviously when casting heavy lure you need some rod with backbone to work the lure correctly and to cast  the large rubber / jerk/ plug/or large deadbait for wobbling  type  these are normally around 6ft/7ft in length...Very Happy  

The Savage Gear rods I use state casting weights of 50-90g, and will handle plugs up to about 12". Don't much like lure fishing in open water (small rivers are another matter) so I don't use them as intended. Great boat rods - long, full EVA handle means you can really lean into them whilst playing a fish and at 8ft, they aren't too large to clutter up the boat.

when you say open water , look for feature within that open water , drop off/ reefs / sunken cars trees ...... a fish finder / sonar is the way forward pal
have a look at the dragonfly by raymarine and around 150 sqid well worth it too.... you will be amazed how they have moved on , these are the tools in fishing open water venues just google and have a look

plus they find where the bait fish are concentrated in winter , I have caught some off my biggest fish..... in so called open water
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:59 pm

I've got a fishfinder for the boat - I took it out the first few times on the loch, mapped the bed and features but in the end it was old fashioned trial and error that found the first. Boring as it is, I stick to one spot now on a 10 acre water as you just get run after run after run there. A run every 30 minutes or so on average. Just a hole in a weed bed with a drop off to one side.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum