PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

what rod do you favour?

+10
onetoner
Andy Webster
dave d
Lefty
noodle
greg
MAD BAD ANGLER
Andy Macfarlane
Bazz
nickcarpy
14 posters

Go down

what rod do you favour? Empty what rod do you favour?

Post  nickcarpy Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:08 pm

what pike rod do tou favour?test curve,lenght and action,ie fast taper,threw action ect?
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

what rod do you favour? Empty Re: what rod do you favour?

Post  Bazz Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:43 pm

Wychwood Extremis 3lbTC 12', which are the ones i currently own and use

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:58 pm

Each of my rods has it's own niche. My spod rod would be daft on a canal, while my 2.25 TC carp rods would be under-gunned on a wild Highland loch. Different rods for different purposes.

....Andy Pandy....
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:41 pm

i have 3x23/4lb tc rods and 3x3lb tc rods all in 12'. the lighter rods have a sorf/medium action while the 3lb rods are a fast action rod.

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:46 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Each of my rods has it's own niche. My spod rod would be daft on a canal, while my 2.25 TC carp rods would be under-gunned on a wild Highland loch. Different rods for different purposes.

....Andy Pandy....

andy you said "under-gunned" what do you mean by that scratch . i have two 2.5 then two 2.75 carp rods. thats all i use, all i have, no matter where i go.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:15 pm

Your rods wouldn't be much use for long distance fishing, ballooning, drifting or wading baits out. You need something that can pick up a lot of line fast and yours wouldn't fit the bill. They just don't have the back-bone for it. You need to be able to set hooks at distance, often at extreme depths and you also need stopping power at that range also. Pike can find snag at distance too, so you still require some control, even at range.

For short-range stillwaters, canals, rivers, ponds, quarries etc. your rods will be ideal. Short-range legering aside, lighter rods are also better for repetitive short-range float fishing, live-baiting and wobbling. Stiffer rods would be too cumbersome for continuous casting and they'd tear the baits apart or kill your livies. Heavier rods could also lead to hook-pulls, unnecessary damage and there's nothing to be gained by having all that extra power.

Your rods are fine for a multitude of purposes but there are plenty of situations where you'd be happy with another pound of test curve to play with. That's as simple as can make it.

It's different rods for different situations. That's why I have rods ranging from 2.25lbs TC up to 4lbs TC. Each has it's own job.

This is why I've never understood people that use 3 identical rods. Yes, it looks tidy and pretty but in doing so, these people have limited the number of applications open to them. You wouldn't play golf with 14 putters. Why go fishing with 3-4 identical rods? They all do much the same job. Pointless. Vary your rods, increase your possibilities, catch more fish.

I use 4 rods when I go pike fishing. I want to look at a bit of water and try to cover every possibility. That could be a soft, 2.25lb short-range rod, fished at 2 rod length at the mouth of a a stream running in. I might have one around 3.75 to 4lb at extreme range, out beyond the range of most other pikers and I might have one around 3lb at hand for covering a multitude of sins. These are all just instances but it demonstrates that pike fishing shouldn't be limited to the ability of your gear.

....Regards....Andy.... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:05 pm

where to begin
with *rods between 2.00 and 3.5 in a variety of lengths from 9-12 feet

Last edited by Andy Macfarlane on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : *you did mean 'rods' and not 'baits'...yes/no?)
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:08 pm

cheers andy, i get the picture.
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:52 pm

As most of my piking is done on small to medium venues, I favour softer rods.

My rod is a 2.5lb test curve that is from Dragon Carp. Inexpensive and does the job.

I am on the look out for a carbon rod with a through action at 2.5lbs TC.

Why? Lighter than my current rod, and I use Power Pro braid so the through action will help prevent hook pulls. Don't need a massively powerful TC as I don't need to fish on the horizon.

Wychwood Rogue has caught my eye just lately. It appears to meet my criteria and is inexpensive.

Let me Know if you know of another rod that would suit me.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  dave d Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:55 pm

3lb 12 foot harrisons for heavy work, distance work and large waters-stiff action
2lb 12 foot sportex for smaller venues and margin work- thru action
2.5lb 10 foot thru action for barbel fishing and very usefull for boat fishing as well- these rods are awesome!!!!
like Andy says i use the rods for what purpose they were made - i wouldnt use the harrisons on a freelined deadbait under the rod tip!

for spodding baits i use a 4lb 12 foot reverse taper thickwalled broomstick of a rod- it aint much use for anything else really unless i use my mates remote control boat for ultra distance (200 yards+) and 40lb braid on the big pit reel

dave d

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:41 pm

A pair of Daiwa Esox 12' 3lb (ish) TC whisker kevlar's. About 20 years old. I prefer them because they do the job on all types an sizes of water (bank fishing). Oh, I also prefer them because they are the ones I continue to use to this day. I am too tight to part with the cash for new ones. Laughing Not that I would want to replace them in any case.

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  onetoner Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:43 am

i use three wychwood rods 2 f which are rouge pike 3lb tc and the other is a 4lb tc spod for distance,,, they work for me i cant fault them.
onetoner
onetoner

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:27 am

i think rods are like peoples taste in cars:ford,bmw,merc,skoda its a personal choice.
there are lots of makes models to choose from, its what you do with them and how you treat them.
personally i like a softer action rod,2.5-2.75,most of my rods are made up from blanks,the softer action gives a better feel and also more forgiving if i make a mistake like slipping down a bankside or raming the rod tip in a bush.
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  Brookie Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:51 pm

i use my carp rods they are 2 new fox warriors in 3lb Tc , reels are the baitrunner 8000 shimano REs, but for short and margin work there not the softest rod under the tip when playing fish, but ent lost a carp or pike yet just have to take a little bit extre care when playing a fish at close range.
Brookie
Brookie

Back to top Go down

Post  toothycritter Sun May 17, 2009 6:54 pm

i use wychwood rouges 2 and three quarter test can punch a dead out and soft under the tip close in used them for a few years now great rod for a budget priced rod check em out a lot of anglers rate em........
toothycritter
toothycritter

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy Mon May 18, 2009 9:07 pm

fox xs 3.25 and fox heavy deadbait 3.25 and wychwood rouge 2.25 the xs is a superb rod i will be investing in another soon,
jimmy
jimmy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum