PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Start date of the pike season on a commercial

5 posters

Go down

Start date of the pike season on a commercial Empty Start date of the pike season on a commercial

Post  J Robinson Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:46 pm

My local commercial doesn't open for pike until the start of November. This seems late to me, as the temperatures are such that the water temperature will either be around 10c or just over (I shall take the thermometer next time I'm there). Their argument is that with the carp still active, that there is a higher risk of them getting foul hooked, with the resultant damage.

Now the carp are barely active now. Catch rates are down the point where it's barely worth the effort. At the fishery, there just seems to be a gap of about a month from when everyone stops carp fishing to the start of the pike. Purely from a business perspective, this seems daft due to lost revenue.

Is there any reason not to open now, from the point of view of pike and carp health? What can be done to reduce the risk of foul hooking carp? I ask because I'm desperate to get onto the pike and don't fancy waiting another 4 weeks.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Start date of the pike season on a commercial Empty Re: Start date of the pike season on a commercial

Post  psion Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:35 pm

I don't think there is any real reason for not starting till November it's just a date. I think a lot of trout waters start in November as well.

psion

Back to top Go down

Start date of the pike season on a commercial Empty Re: Start date of the pike season on a commercial

Post  mal wynne Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:35 pm

is there many perch in the lake because you could always try for them and if you do catch any of the pike , well it was accidental was,nt it Wink

mal wynne

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:46 am

There are perch in the lake, as well as many small roach and skimmers.

The season opens next Wednesday so I'll be out then. I'm planning to peg up where most of the small carp (12oz to 1.5lbs) from a recent restocking have been balled up. My theory is that the pike won't be far away from them.

I'm just trying to think if there are any beneficial rules for the pike to add to the list. The fishery rules are as follows:

"Please make sure you have all the right kit i.e. Unhooking mat, large landing net, semi barbless only, minimum 15lb mono, 40lb braid. No live baiting or lures."

And I suggested adding:

* No standing for photographs. Kneeling over the unhooking mat only

* No mishandling of fish. Any mishandling, or any fish seen flailing on the bank will result in the angler being asked to leave.

* Tackle will be checked on the bank

Is there anything that I've forgotten?

The fishery always slightly shy away from strictly policing their rules for fear of scaring away the punters, but I think they'd attract a better class of angler if they did kick the odd idiot off the water. Better for fish welfare too.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:37 pm

how on earth are you going to police the mishandling of fish? Any fish seen flailing !!!! what a load of tosh. Ive been involved in loads of pike matches and ive seen members of the PAC with fish flailing on a mat and they are the be all and end all of Pike handlers.
Who is going to judge a newbie by his fish handling skills and what kit he has ? Perhaps its the likes of you " clearly a better class of angler" who is going to stop future generations of anglers from even wanting to fish for Pike.

matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  piketastic Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Trev is right. Everyone has to learn at some point. BUT by adhering to these rules, there would be no place for beginners, most of us can struggle from time to time with a pike that decides to fight on the bank rather than in the water.
A rethink of a couple of points might be the way forward.
piketastic
piketastic

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:52 pm

matt859 wrote:how on earth are you going to police the mishandling of fish?  Any fish seen flailing !!!! what a load of tosh.   Ive been involved in loads of pike matches and ive seen members of the PAC with fish flailing on a mat and they are the be all and end all of Pike handlers.
Who is going to judge a newbie by his fish handling skills and what kit he has ? Perhaps its the likes of you " clearly a better class of angler" who is going to stop future generations of anglers from even wanting to fish for Pike.  

A lot of clueless people fish for trout and pike in Scotland. The two seem to go hand in hand. The same gear is used for both (8-10lb line - too heavy for trout, too light for pike) and the same fish handling approach is used for both. The fishery has a fairly small head of pike and (like anywhere else) they need to be protected.

You're in Rugby and a coarse angler. I'm originally from Derby and the lack of angling skill up here amongst the bulk of people that fish is shocking. The default fishing day out is a catch and kill rainbow puddle. You lob your powerbait and bubble float out and that's the extent of the skill requirement. The majority of anglers don't actually know how to play a fish - I've lost count of the number of times I've had to actually show people how to use the drag on a reel. Growing up fishing the midlands, the skill required to be a reasonably successful coarse angler is much greater and I believe that there are fewer people south of the border who mishandle fish. I am a better class of angler (in terms of the way I handle fish and how many fish I catch) than many people that fish the commercial and I make no apology for wanting to protect the fish stock from these clowns.

I learned to handle pike as a kid by going with my Dad and learning from him. No one should go pike fishing by themselves if they are inexperienced. They are much more difficult to handle and unhook than any other species (with the exception of eels) and need to be treated with respect. To illustrate the status quo up here, I heard from an angler at the local free quarry that another angler simply killed a 3lb jack as he wasn't able to unhook it. At the commercial, I've seen many carp dropped from waist height, or bouncing down the bank and into the water.

I am not an elitist and I make a conscious effort to help anyone and everyone I meet whilst out fishing. I do not claim to know it all (far from it) and am happy to accept advice (and do so regularly). As I said though, I make no apology for wanting to protect fish from idiots.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:14 pm

if you say so.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:48 pm

matt859 wrote:if you say so.

I'd have expected a more detailed response.

I'm only trying to help the fish and help some anglers learn. It's important to acknowledge that some people aren't on a learning curve and they are just careless idiots.
J Robinson
J Robinson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down