Start date of the pike season on a commercial

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Start date of the pike season on a commercial

Post  J Robinson on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:46 pm

My local commercial doesn't open for pike until the start of November. This seems late to me, as the temperatures are such that the water temperature will either be around 10c or just over (I shall take the thermometer next time I'm there). Their argument is that with the carp still active, that there is a higher risk of them getting foul hooked, with the resultant damage.

Now the carp are barely active now. Catch rates are down the point where it's barely worth the effort. At the fishery, there just seems to be a gap of about a month from when everyone stops carp fishing to the start of the pike. Purely from a business perspective, this seems daft due to lost revenue.

Is there any reason not to open now, from the point of view of pike and carp health? What can be done to reduce the risk of foul hooking carp? I ask because I'm desperate to get onto the pike and don't fancy waiting another 4 weeks.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Start date of the pike season on a commercial

Post  psion on Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:35 pm

I don't think there is any real reason for not starting till November it's just a date. I think a lot of trout waters start in November as well.

psion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mal wynne on Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:35 pm

is there many perch in the lake because you could always try for them and if you do catch any of the pike , well it was accidental was,nt it Wink

mal wynne

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top