Mistreated pike

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Mistreated pike

Post  J Robinson on Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:10 pm

On the Scottish Pike Anglers page on Facebook, people regularly post photographs of their fish and quite often they are bleeding heavily from the gills. I usually point out that there is no excuse for posting photos of bleeding fish and that the fish is being mishandled, but it's nearly always met with hostility.

How often do you find you have a fish that bleeds heavily from the gills? Would you post a photo of it on a public forum? Am I being a dick for pointing out that I believe that the fish is being mishandled?

Not sure if the photo will link properly, but here is the fish in question:

Last edited by J Robinson on Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Mistreated pike

Post  lowdouble on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:30 pm

Sad to say that it does happen if the gills are nicked with the hooks. BUT i never post photos like that, I hate to see it too, strike early and pay attention is the key Wink
lowdouble

View user profile http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  J Robinson on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:43 pm

I know it happens sometimes, but it's dreadful to post a photo of it. Such bad PR for pike fishing but unfortunately this uncaring attitude towards the fish is widespread in Scotland. I just don't remember anything like that as a kid growing up in the Midlands, and that was 20 years ago.

J Robinson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

pikes gill area

Post  stubbo on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:47 pm

lowdouble wrote:Sad to say that it does happen if the gills are nicked with the hooks.   BUT  i never post photos like that,    I hate to see it too,  strike early and pay attention is the key Wink
as you are all aware the gill area is very delicate and does not take much to bleed especially when its very cold, I have had it happen to me a few times , but I believe this would heal fairly quickly as it only a puncture wound injected by the treble , but a tear or rip could be dire to the fish , also I have caught fish with there gills so severely damaged , looks like the last angler had pulled the trebles out to remove , these are normally caught on noddy waters sad to say Very Happy
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:49 pm

20 years ago pike were knocked on the head for being Roach eaters and swim killers. i am a midlands man myself and saw how pike were treated. Still not right but better than dead Wink
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:51 pm

Also Stubbo I have a pet hate of the large singles on the back of many lures, castaics and early bulldawgs, Savage gear with no place really.
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:57 pm

lowdouble wrote:Also Stubbo I have a pet hate of the large singles on the back of many lures,  castaics and early bulldawgs,  Savage gear with no place really.
I know where your coming from , they seem overkill like grappling irons , snag these and bye bye , maybe should be smaller and weaker , something that could bend out of a snag but not a fish ......or remove and replace with a stinger at the tail end , which I have done on a few of my lures
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Same here, cut them off and add a small stinger. Better by far. Catching pike with the top of their mouth cut wide open is shocking Embarassed
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:04 pm

I know its hypocritical to not want to hurt pike, but lessen the damage done if possible. We have a fine line to draw between catch at all costs, and not hurt our target. where do we stop Question
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:07 pm

lowdouble wrote:Same here,   cut them off and add a small stinger.  Better by far.  Catching pike with the top of their mouth cut wide open is shocking Embarassed
the good thing is the top part of the pike mouth is mostly cartilage and in my opinion would heal quickly and I have had repeat captures on lures which backs this up.....which appear to be fine on examination....
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:12 pm

You could be right mate, I dont remember catching older fish with old open wounds. But it is horrific to see the damage fresh and in real time. We have to try to limit damage to them and that huge single doesnt help Wink
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:17 pm

lowdouble wrote:You could be right mate,  I dont remember catching older fish with old open wounds.  But it is horrific to see the damage fresh and in real time.  We have to try to limit damage to them and that huge single doesnt help Wink
your right they seem to do more damage than a treble , especially on the bigger pike , more weight and more thrashing about , hence the need for heavy line and a quick fight , less damage me thinks.
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:35 pm

lowdouble wrote:You could be right mate,  I dont remember catching older fish with old open wounds.  But it is horrific to see the damage fresh and in real time.  We have to try to limit damage to them and that huge single doesnt help Wink
I have just pm you pal
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top