pike spawning times

Go down

pike spawning times  Empty pike spawning times

Post  stubbo on Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:06 pm

I know pike spawn at different times in certain areas , but speaking to a couple of guys the other day , they witnessed pike trying to spawn, on a river last week , is this early or not, thought I read somewhere pike are the first to spawn followed by perch.......so there fry have a head start on catching other coarse fry , correct me if I am wrong... Shocked
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

pike spawning times  Empty Re: pike spawning times

Post  lowdouble on Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:54 am

correct on all counts Very Happy ive a super shallow 18" deep lough where the pike are spawning already as the waters around 7C. they say 8C is the magic number but some go early and some late so a drought or flood never wipes out the full years off spring. My Large Lough Sheelin, 4500 acres has seen me watching Pike spawn in May and ive had eggs coming out of a fish in June. Nature is great Wink
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  David Wynne on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:33 am

Water temperature, light levels (longer daylight hours) and water depth are the important factors. As lowdouble says it varies from water to water but they are designed to spawn early so as their young have food to prey on when all other species spawn later in the year.

On the water we both know well, I've found the 1st week in March is the usual time for them and they spawn around the bank with the large reed beds.
David Wynne
David Wynne

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo on Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:39 pm

David Wynne wrote:Water temperature, light levels (longer daylight hours) and water depth are the important factors. As lowdouble says it varies from water to water but they are designed to spawn early so as their young have food to prey on when all other species spawn later in the year.

On the water we both know well, I've found the 1st week in March is the usual time for them and they spawn around the bank with the large reed beds.
I know exactly where you mean dave ...a while ago I was wading out there and the pike were all about me .... you could touch them I kid you not. Very Happy so I packed up fishing.... Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down