summer lures fishing

Post  nickcarpy on Wed May 20, 2009 8:37 pm

any off you lure guys add much yet on surface lures? Smile
nickcarpy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: summer lures fishing

Post  Bazz on Wed May 20, 2009 9:15 pm

I have a couple of 'floaters' but have yet to try them. Suspect they are best drawn over Lilypads or sunken tree roots etc...

Bazz

View user profile http://nottspac.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Thu May 21, 2009 2:49 pm

We aren't catching much of anything at the moment... Crying or Very sad
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Chumley Warner on Thu May 21, 2009 2:52 pm

My mates had some good pike on those horrible "poppers". I personally cant stand them and would go for a 7cm floating slider nice and slow.
Chumley Warner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Thu May 21, 2009 3:30 pm

surface lures do they work really?

never had a touch on them and after seeking some advice from some surface lure freaks ill begiving them a serious go. turns out have not been using them in the best of circumstances.

im taking it seriously this year and have added a few more
a super freak (its huge think it will double up as a drouge on the boat)
lac seul hardwoods turbo its a spinney blade thing
top raider another spinney thing
dunwright top dancer
these go with the ace medics, harris pike thing and a couple of other stick type baits i have
noodle

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Thu May 21, 2009 5:20 pm

Yea they do work but it seems to be in exceptional circumstances. I don't know what the trigger is but it seems when pike are taking baits off the top, they take just about anything off the top and it doesn't matter too much what you throw at them. That's my experience of topwaters anyway.

I like to fish a few inches from the surface. It's often enough to make the difference.
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster on Fri May 22, 2009 8:11 pm

Nick, surface Lures can be exciting at any time of year including mid winter so don't feel that you have to wait until the sun is out and warmth is in the air like you would when floater fishing for carp.

Noodle, I'd be interested to know what you've been told about the best cicumstances. It might help to put a few more on the bank.

Chumley, I am a big fan of the sliders and they are fished on the top or in the top few inches so you don't have to use a popper. I do like the Jitterbug by Fred Arboghast which pops from side to side.

I remember reading an article, I think it was James Holgate in P&P, where he said the best time to use surface lures was on a cloudy day with a chop on the water. I fing it difficult to get a rythm going with the jitterbug when there is a chop on the water. The dusk on a calm surface is a good time though.

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

View user profile http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Fri May 22, 2009 10:09 pm

Andy Webster wrote:Nick, surface Lures can be exciting at any time of year including mid winter so don't feel that you have to wait until the sun is out and warmth is in the air like you would when floater fishing for carp.

Noodle, I'd be interested to know what you've been told about the best cicumstances. It might help to put a few more on the bank.

Chumley, I am a big fan of the sliders and they are fished on the top or in the top few inches so you don't have to use a popper. I do like the Jitterbug by Fred Arboghast which pops from side to side.

I remember reading an article, I think it was James Holgate in P&P, where he said the best time to use surface lures was on a cloudy day with a chop on the water. I fing it difficult to get a rythm going with the jitterbug when there is a chop on the water. The dusk on a calm surface is a good time though.

Andy Webster

thats more or less it i had tended to use them during the bright calm spells in the middle of the day when nothing else was working so wrote surface lures off a few years ago Embarassed
so when the house is sorted (just moved hence why ive not been on) im off trying the things out
in the morning ill be playing in mid wales well in the sea really seeing if anything happens for an hour or two ive a box of bombers and macs (big and shallow ones) ready to go
may stop off at a lake on the way home if my jerkbaits accidentally end up in the car Twisted Evil
noodle

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top