PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

smuttly db series

5 posters

Go down

smuttly db series Empty smuttly db series

Post  noodle Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:43 pm

ok another lure for you all

the smuttly db series these come in 4,5. and six inch versions, although they may go bigger these are what i have

this is a US bait that is available from http://www.chicoslures.co.uk/index.php

again the db's are a glide bait, which have a little shimmy when retrieved
these lures have fantastic finishes with a epoxy finish and are unusually for these style of lures through wired

the smaller 4 inch size are not on the site i ordered mine specially and these have a very tight glide almost switching and due to this you can get lots of movement for very little line gained

the 5 and 6 inch versions have a more traditional glide path but still with sharp taps can be made to work fairly fast and gain line less quickly than you would with other glidebaits

the advatage ofthis to me is being able to keep a lure moving in a given zone for a longer period than many of my other glide baits

all sizes have a gentle rolling action when just used on a straight retrieve and with harder 'jerks' it is possible to get the lure working in a slightly erratic fashion. However there is a smuttly more suited to being fished erraticly available as well in the shape of the T6 i have not had this lure long enough to really give it an honest and in depth write up but what i will add is it looks as good as the other lures in this range and the finish is just as good

my four inch smuttlys
smuttly db series GetAttachment-1-1
the bottom two are the five and six inch respectivly (the top two are bikini bait company lures)
smuttly db series HPIM2143-1

Last edited by noodle on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

smuttly db series Empty Re: smuttly db series

Post  jimmy Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:07 pm

just received my first smuttly db5, dont know whether to fish with it or stick it on the mantlepeice it looks that good Cool I love you delivery was exellent ordered it in the afternoon and got it next morning, now i know why people get addicted to buying lures ,if they work as good as they look i can see a spending spree coming affraid
jimmy
jimmy

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:39 am

Read and learn with caution. It's all true. I've seen it happen to many good people.

Click HERE for 'Lures Are For Mugs'

You have been warned.....lol

....Andy....
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Read and learn with caution. It's all true. I've seen it happen to many good people.

Click HERE for 'Lures Are For Mugs'

You have been warned.....lol

....Andy....

it is true i wont deny it Laughing
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:43 pm

Jimmy has it come with the mustad hooks huge wide gape bronze things?

try playing with different hooks as they will depending on what traces you use not run truly level out of the box

if your on TI traces you will probably need to put a lighter hook at the arse end and a split ring at the nose. when i got my 1st ones chico told me that. the bloke who makes them sets them up using a fairly heavy trace

they are fantastic lures if you want to try one a little different try the T6 its works quite slowly, then if you throw the odd harsh twitch or long fast pull it goes wonderfully erratic

Last edited by noodle on Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:48 pm

noodle wrote:Jimmy has it come with the mustad hooks huge wide gape bronze things?

try playing with different hooks as they will depending on what traces you use not run level out of the box

if your on TI traces you will probably need to put a lighter hook at the arse end and a split ring at the nose. when i got my 1st ones chico told me that. the bloke who makes them sets them up using a fairly heavy trace

they are fantastic lures if you want to try one a little different try the T6 its works quite slowly, then if you throw the odd harsh twitch or long fast pull it goes wonderfully erratic

the hooks do look large noodle, probably buy chicos titanium traces or can you reccommend traces,can you reccommend hook for the rear if using titanium traces, thought at that price it would do the biz from the box pale
jimmy
jimmy

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:17 pm

they do work traight out of the box if your using stainless traces with big swivels and clips
if thats what you have they will be ok. dont forget these lures are tested and built with a trace in mind now there are that many different ways and materials ot there to make traces out of its impossible to build a lure that would sit perfectly with any trace.

i suppose realy fast sinking or super bouyant lures would not need tweaking with but once you get into more finely tuned baits you need to start to be willing to alter hooks split rings etc as chances are your home made or shop bought trace will be a different weight to what the lure may have been built with in mind.

give it a go as it is but take a few hooks and split rings and spend an hour or two playing with it.

as for hooks i use eagle claws, mustad duratin, vmc's, owner st 24's, ...... all on different lures to get them running right .

over traces i have a load of ti ones i got from the states a while ago and some heavy (really heavy) steel ones and some fox ones all get used for different lures if i want them to run nose down and hence a little deeper ill stick one of the heavy stainless things on with moster swivel and a huge middy boat clip, likewise if i want to run closer to the surface its ti with no swivel jsut a ti ring and a cross lock

bear in mind these are wood and hand made so each one will have a small variations in them and as stupid as it sounds something as tiny as changing a split ring for a lighter or heavier one can make a fair bit of difference to how the lure behaves.

may i ask a question?

what sort of lures have you used up until now?

if its any consolation i thought along similar lines when i started getting things like the smutts now though these things work massively to my advantage
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:06 pm

Lincoln PAC RO & PAC Membership sec. Chico Winterton eh... Look good Lures to me, I will have to haggle with him for one or two next time I see him... Laughing Laughing Wink

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:27 pm

jimmy have you given it a go yet?
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:59 pm

just gave a few lures a try for the first time noodle not as easy as it looks ,but think ive got the hang of some of them, the most impressive without a doubt is the smuttly db5 its superb ,once i worked out how to use it , i found retreiving slow with small gentle taps of the rod and it glides side to side perfectly looks really good in the water, had some perch smaller than the lure follow it in to the side, theres no pike in this part of the canal but its deep and clear perfect for practising ,will be investing in more from chico this week, want to try some different actions, faster, floating ect, can you reccomend any
jimmy
jimmy

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:05 pm

try the t6 its fairly versatile, but its light at two ounces and its east to over gun it and cause it to go erratic, which isnt a bad thing for me. the bigger db 6 works more or less the same as the 5.
the hector may be worth a punt as well

i managed one pike yesterday on a friends boat it was the 1st time we had been out on it

it came to a four inch db. ask chico about them, the 4 inch ones that is, he may need to order them specially though.

i havent used the cobbs as i have a bit of an aversion to squirrely tales on lures
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:29 am

one of the 4 inch ones at the business end of a pike ok its only a little one i know, with the duratin (light hooks) and ti leader to help keep it up just above the top of the weed

smuttly db series Dinkkypikeonsmut
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Chico Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:37 am

Tell you what I am both amazed and very grateful that this review by John is up here, cheers John.

The Smuts are a very nice bait and nowadays come with a finer (balanced with) hook that should be a direct swap out with Eagle Claw 374's of the same size.

Good to hear nice words about them.
Chico
Chico

http://www.chicoslures.co.uk   JOIN THE PAC http://www.pacgb.co.

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:43 am

Chico wrote:Tell you what I am both amazed and very grateful that this review by John is up here, cheers John.

The Smuts are a very nice bait and nowadays come with a finer (balanced with) hook that should be a direct swap out with Eagle Claw 374's of the same size.

Good to hear nice words about them.

well ive only bought two of the newer db's and have yet to cast them, im saving them till friday Wink
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum