Post  Lefty on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:05 pm

Gorgeous fish you got there allan.

Can't wait to get me a 20.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

allans 26lb er Empty here fishy fishy

Post  allan fae fife on Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:22 pm

this is the fish that broke my carp rod.well worth it hehe.beutiful fish and a pb for me.caught it using a popper with a rattle in it.i went bac 2 the shop i bought the lure in 2day and got another two the same in case i ever lost it only £3 each.great lure on the day also had a lot of smaller fish on the day using that lure.around the 9-10lb mark
allan fae fife
allan fae fife

Back to top Go down

allans 26lb er Empty Re: allans 26lb er

Post  Bazz on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:32 am

What a cracking Pike! Very Happy Wink

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty on Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:02 am

I have got a surface popper with built in rattler that I've yet to put to use.

Hope it works as good for me too Very Happy
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  adamscott on Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:38 pm

Cracking fish.........well done !!!
adamscott
adamscott

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:03 pm

nice one mate, think i will get myself some poppers Cool by the way what popper was it Rolling Eyes
jimmy
jimmy

Back to top Go down

allans 26lb er Empty popper code

Post  allan fae fife on Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:19 pm

popper was a hiper catch predators masters series made by linea effe code number 5300831 size 1110mm hope this helps tight lines
allan fae fife
allan fae fife

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:02 pm

lucky sod Very Happy . might i add; if anyone read his first unedited post and knows where he was fishing. allan made a mistake (i'm not trying to put you in it allan or make you look bad as you did not know ) but you cant fish from the bank with or without a permit where he caught the fish. last weekend the baliff and the police were checking permits because of the louts with there litter, fires, chopping down trees for fires. the list go's on. but he now knows away round it i'm happy to say..........ME Very Happy Very Happy
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

allans 26lb er Empty u learn something new every day

Post  allan fae fife on Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:05 pm

greg is rite apparently loch ??? is only to be fished only half way around in my defence i honestly did not know no mention of it anywhere on any website connected with loch ??? but i put my hands up my bad.pity the fool who cuts down trees look after the planet and she will look after you.
allan fae fife
allan fae fife

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:56 am

Allan, this is merely advice so please take it as intended.

Please don't hold pike without a chin grip. You have your hand right where all the vital organs are and you shouldn't be standing up either. That fish could have flipped at any time and it would have led to internal damage, probably life-threatening. It would be a shame to see a fish like that falling from 3 feet, which doesn't sound like much but when all your organs have been supported by water all your life, it's a lot of impact. Even if the fish does survive such a fall, it's coating and scales will be damaged which can lead to secondary infections like red sore disease.

Chin, kneel, mat.....can't go wrong.

....Andy.....
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

allans 26lb er Empty pike handling

Post  allan fae fife on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:09 am

sry andy my bad.didint realise. still learning.but getting there i hope.can u recomend any good books on pike fishing handling.tight lines
allan fae fife
allan fae fife

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:14 am

You didn't know. That's part of the parcel of learning pike fishing. It's the one's that don't want to know that are the problem. That's what we're here for.

I'm actually going fishing shortly so I don't have time at the minute to put some handling links together but I or the others will.

.....Tight Lines....Andy.... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:57 am

Here's a link to the PACGB Pike Handling Tips, there are pages of them Rolling Eyes but this page shows how to hold a Pike for a photograph. Don't worry, there are loads of photo's of Pike being handled the way you did on the web but Andy has told you the correct way Wink

http://www.pacgb.co.uk/tips/betterpics.html

Bazz Very Happy

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty on Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:28 pm

You beat me to it with the link bazz Mad

As Andy says Allan: chin grip (can be scary until you're used to it), kneel over an unhooking mat, then get the piccy taken.

You're fairly new to this so your actions can be forgiven Rolling Eyes and as Andy says, don't take it to heart. You're still learning, as we all are in some way or other, and before long you will be doing it like a pro and even showing the less skilled how to do it safely.

I once had to show an elderly 'seasoned' pike angler how to correctly handle a pike whilst on the bank and he couldn't thank me enough after letting her go. A few months later I bumped into him again as he was showing an angler who had his roach snaffled at the net.

A little knowledge goes a long way, as they say. Wink
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sun Jul 19, 2009 8:14 pm

"Unhooking Pike" by Andy Macfarlane

I'll assume you are right-handed, in which case I'll describe unhooking as I go about it. You'll find most Pikers carry this out whilst in a kneeling position.

Lay the fish on its left flank, head pointing towards your right hand. You may want to straddle the fish. I use my left shin to prevent the fish from flipping. I don't apply any weight on the fish; I just don't give it any room to move. With your left hand, carefully lift the gill flap a little. Have a look under the flap to see the arrangement. You'll see three sets of rakers. Make sure your fingers haven't picked up any of these and slide one finger along the gill cover, towards the chin. When you get to the chin, you'll find your finger fits nicely into an area of soft skin with no teeth, no rakers and no obstructions.
Lift the head and you should find its mouth will stay wide open without force. You should now have the whole mouth cavity to work with unhindered. You should have a pair of 12" forceps and a pair of wire snips at hand, nothing less. The wire cutters are for fiddly hook-ups. Sometimes it is easier to break the hooks up for quick removal. Never use the snips for cutting the wire, that's a potential death sentence. As long as you have all your unhooking tools at hand, you should find the whole unhooking operation takes less than a minute.

If you are struggling, don't panic. Take the fish in the net back to the water for a good breather. Give the fish and yourself a minute to calm down before carrying out any other procedures. Allow the fish a minute in the water for every minute you have it from the water.

Don't be scared to ask a more experienced Piker for a hand. They should gladly oblige and if asked, will show you how to cope with difficult hook-ups. Pikers love being asked for advice....it makes them feel important and necessary.

Once the fish has been cleared of all oral metalwork, lift the fish with both hands and carry it back to the water. Once in the water, use your left hand to support the head and use your right hand to hold the tail root. Don't grip the tail; just form a circle with your thumb and finger which prevents the fish from going anywhere. Pike sometimes try to pull away immediately even though they are exhausted. Just keep a slight hold on the fish until you are sure it has fully recovered. Make sure the gill flaps are working and the fish can hold itself upright. When it's definitely ready to go, you will know. Release your hold and the fish should pull away immediately. Just keep an eye on the fish until it has gone. If it's a really happy soldier you'll get a free drink when it kicks its tail.

Andy Macfarlane

If you read the part in red you'll have a better idea of where your hand is going for the chin-grip.

Then, follow Charlie Bettell's description on how to hold the gill plate, to prevent damage to the chin membrane and then use your other hand to support the weight of the fish.

Click HERE for How To Hold Pike - Charlie's way!

Don't be scared going in there. You'd be surprised how much room there is in there. The bigger the pike, the easier it actually is. You might get a little 'raker' rash' on the back of your fingers but that's part of the parcel of pike fishing. I actually think itchy fingers is an indication of how good your day has been.That's a bit perverse isn't it?....lol

Don't go down the glove route please. Gloves might save you from a bit of raker rash but they also detract from your sense of touch and what's going where. Gloves are clumsy and big and if it's my opinion that if someone can't handle pike without gloves, they have no business fishing for pike. It's predator fishing.
The same people will handle hooks, trebles, spiny baits, metal clips, split-rings, pliers, wire-cutters, wire, braided lines and they'll hack their way through bushes, nettles, trees and wade about in weeds but when it comes to handling the fish itself, they need a pair of gloves?? Gloves, to me anyway, suggest that they're in some way fearful of the fish itself. If they're fearful of the fish, they shouldn't be fishing for them. The only thing that will come to harm is the fish.
Confidence is the key.

...Andy...
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:45 pm

Agree with you on the gloves Andy.

One pike forum I visit now and then has members that try to encourage people to use a glove and I have to say that I really do not like the idea. This website promotes the safety and well-being of our favourite fish and I usually agree with everything on there but not the gloves.

As Andy says, if you are fearful of the fish then don't fish for it.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:41 am

i have a glove and will use it, for both my sake and the fishes
the lindy fish handler, it comes out for those really iffy hook ups where there is a better than even chance of me sticking myself with a hook. ive needed to use it now about ten times in five years, its no different than using any other bit of kit that makes life safer
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:21 am

As you say noodle, it's used only when needed to stop yourself from being impaled with a hook. And a proper fish handling glove too.

On the other website they actively encourage using gloves at all times. And not gloves specifically design for fish use either. Thick heavy rubber gloves have been mentioned and some foto's on there are the same as what my old employer gave to us for use in the warehouse: a knitted glove semi coated in a foul smelling rubber pale
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

allans 26lb er Empty pike handling

Post  allan fae fife on Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:43 pm

thanx for the feedbac guys still trying to take it all in,like everything in life u cant learn it from a book you got to get out there and do it.tight lines,as always good advice taken onboard thanx for your time and patience.
allan fae fife
allan fae fife

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty on Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:29 pm

Agree with you there allan.

Books, videos, being told etc...don't really give you the full, true picture. Getting out there with somebody who HAS the knowledge and can SHOW you how to go about things correctly are far better.

I was lucky in that a friend of my old man's was a pike angler long before I was, and used to take me along with him the odd time and 'show me the ropes'. His ideas were very strange to me at the time and it was way over my head the stuff he showed me. But it all came together like magic for him and I wanted some of the action he used to get, even though I 5h1t myself when I first saw inside a pike's mouth. I knew they had teeth, but not that many!! Shocked

It all came in handy when I started to target them though and remembered what he had shown me all those (20 odd) years previously. The tackle and tactics have basically stayed the same, but more refined and become more fish friendly.

Just as a side note, my old man used to say he didn't like predators as they are "all teeth n bad attitude, me lad". Very Happy

RIP dad, still miss you.

Last edited by Lefty on Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

allans 26lb er Empty andy,s links

Post  allan fae fife on Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:34 pm

omg i thought id seen it all click on andys links and watch the video,s quickest ways 2 catch a fish.dont want to spoil it for yous but it includes a lake and a bazzuka.......... lol.. affraid
allan fae fife
allan fae fife

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:35 pm

noodle wrote:ive needed to use it now about ten times

But you've only caught 7..... scratch

Heh.... Smile

...andy pandy... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:37 pm

wots this i hear about you allan. a 26lber and an ugly sod in the newspaper Razz . have you got the cheque yet Very Happy .
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum