Rods And Reels

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rods And Reels

Post  Higgi - Specimen Hunter : on Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:55 am

hey guys,

lookin for a new 6-7 ft spinning rod and multiplier reel, any recomendations???
Higgi - Specimen Hunter :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rods And Reels

Post  Lefty on Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:25 pm

Yeah, get a 6-7 ft spinning rod and multiplier reel lol!

If you want a multiplier then I think the general concensus is to get an Abu C3 round baitcaster as they are a simple design that are easy to service/upgrade/pimp out and spares are plentiful. There are various sizes available and come left hand or right hand wind. The ones ending in 01 are the left hand wind ones. For example 6501.

However, they do appear to be expensive (for me anyhow) but you generally get what you pay for. Load it up with at least 40lb braid but don't spool right to the edge in order to avoid the dreaded bird's nest and don't set it up so it is too free spinning as this can also give the dreaded bird's nest as well as allowing too much side play.

If you've never used a multiplier then be prepared for lots of frustration as you get accustomed to it. The secret of control is all in the thumb. I had always used a fixed spool reel until giving a multiplier a go and just couldn't get used to it. I couldn't find an Abu at a price I could easily afford so plumped for a cheapo Shakespeare one and got rid not long after. I just couldn't seem to get it set up correctly. Maybe if I'd waited a bit longer so I could've afforded an Abu I would've managed to get the hang of it. Like I say, you get what you pay for.

Rod wise, you can get away with a spinning rod but really you should get a baitcaster rod if you are going to use a baitcasting reel. Sorry, but I can't really recommend a rod to you.

You are of course free to get any reel you like and there lots of round and low profile reels available from lots of manufacturers but stay away from ones that aren't made by the 'top' manufacturers.
Lefty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:11 pm

lots of recomendations but rather than list them all...

what lure weights will you be throwing
noodle

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top