PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

drennon traces

+3
noodle
Bazz
applehead
7 posters

Go down

drennon traces Empty drennon traces

Post  applehead Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:24 pm

had a few hours on the river using surface lures yesterday ( had 3 nice mid to high singles Very Happy ) but was upset by TWO of the brand new drennon spin traces i bought yesterday braking at the lure clip when hit by a fish.
not only did this result in two expensive lures being lost , the pike may still have the lure attached!
i was wondering if anyone else has had issues with these traces as once could be a fluke but twice in one day must be poor product / workmanship.
applehead
applehead

Back to top Go down

drennon traces Empty Re: drennon traces

Post  Bazz Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:07 pm

I have used the Drennon wire to make my own but have not tried their ready made ones.. Surprised

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:08 am

are the clips still the hook and eye type?

if so just take them off and stick a cross lock on the drennan clips are ok for lead links but thats about it
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  applehead Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:35 pm

yes the are the hook and eye and my mate has had the same thing with these traces - last purchase for me !
applehead
applehead

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:24 pm

i dont use ready made traces of any kind, although i did have alot of breakages which i put down to a bad batch with the last spool of drennan 7 strand 20lb b/s that i had.... i've now gone onto fox easy twist in 30lb b/s and i'm yet to have any problems.... it seems to withstand more punishment from the pike too (meaning it kinks alot less and i get more pike from one trace). all in all i think its a much better wire than even the best drennan that i've used.
if you need help making your own traces i'll gladly show you mate
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:28 am

Crap snap-links. Who knows why anyone would put these bits of nonsense on a pike lure. Make your own traces with good cross-loks or something of that ilk. that way, you can be positive knowing the traces have been made to your standards.

....andy....
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:21 am

Agree with you there Andy.

I use a cross lock type connection and never had one go on me yet. Other types never fill me with any confidence and have lost lures and some fish until I changed over.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

drennon traces Empty help

Post  bigfish Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:00 pm

robh107 wrote:i dont use ready made traces of any kind, although i did have alot of breakages which i put down to a bad batch with the last spool of drennan 7 strand 20lb b/s that i had.... i've now gone onto fox easy twist in 30lb b/s and i'm yet to have any problems.... it seems to withstand more punishment from the pike too (meaning it kinks alot less and i get more pike from one trace). all in all i think its a much better wire than even the best drennan that i've used.
if you need help making your own traces i'll gladly show you mate
i want to make my ov not pike fished ever wn traces i av never pike fished before but want to do it correct-----i need help pal

bigfish

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down