Rods and reels

Go down

Rods and reels Empty Rods and reels

Post  The Otter on Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:41 pm

Right then a new member to this site so, hello to all.
I am looking to purchase a couple of rods and reels that will handle deadbaits of course with a through action that will be able to handle pits and drains, same goes for the reels also, I will need something with a reasonable price tag, any suggestions?
The Otter
The Otter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rods and reels Empty Re: Rods and reels

Post  robh107 on Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:05 pm

welcome to the madhouse otter!!!
for rods i'd reccomend something like a nash hooligun mk2 with a 2.75lb test curve, that way you're not over gunned for fishing at close range on drains, and also not under gunned for fishing on pits.
reel wise it really depends how much you're willing to spend, there's the obvious and probably best quality choice of the shimano baitrunner (cost anywhere from 50-80+ depending on model) or alternatively you can pick up okumas or daiwa regal 4000's for around 40 (i prefer the daiwas for the quality). whatever you end up buying just make sure its line capacity is at least 200yds of 0.35mm (15lb) line.
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpion70 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:23 am

I have seen and tested the chub outcasts and they are impressive for their price tag. Plus you get a lifetime guarantee,so if you snap one going for a biggun or its faulty they replace it no questions asked. Cool

Slightly upmarket but still with the same theme are the greys rods,in particular the prodigy range,again reasonably priced and comes with a lifetime guarantee.

In the past 2.75 used to be the average carp/pike rod but with technology the 3lb test rods have excellent playing action and a decent backbone to push out baits to the horizon without feeling like your using a broomstick handle.

As for reels its the same old argument......Okuma are cheap but still perform well,Shimano are renowned for their excellent clutch and smooth bait-runner facility,but if its capacity you want with good line lay and reliability then Daiwa is your reel. Daiwa cater from budget to super expensive. I have a pair of Emcasts 5000's for spod and marker work in carp fishing but employ them as my main piking reel in winter. One,the large spool means that line comes of your spool better and gives you those valuable extra yards when casting out bulky dead baits. Plus it also gives you the cranking power to control large fish at range and close in.

Hope all that waffle helped bud. Very Happy

Scorpion70

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:55 am

what waters will you be fishing

although rods and reels are moderatly important budget a hundred quid or so for other pikwe stuff unhooking kit etc.

rod wise 3 lb cheapo fox nash .....

any will do,

reels okuma or the emcasts ive both but my prefered reel is the old penn surfmaster
noodle
noodle

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  megsta on Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:39 pm

i bought Fox Warrior Deadbait 2.75lb recently. very pleased with it so far

http://www.anglershaven.co.uk/coarse-predator-equipment/rods/predator/fox-warrior-deadbait-rod-12ft-2-75lb.html

I have used shimano baitrunner GTE for couple of years - excellent reel

Last edited by megsta on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

megsta

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:20 pm

megsta wrote:i bought Fox Warrior Deadbait 2.75lb recently. very pleased with it so far

http://www.anglershaven.co.uk/coarse-predator-equipment/rods/predator/fox-warrior-deadbait-rod-12ft-2-75lb.html

I have used shimano baitrunners for few years - excellent reels

the old 6010's or the older ones?

the newer versions dont seem to have the same build quality

ive broke most of them though
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:39 pm

lol noodle up until last season i had a pair of the old shimano baitrunner 3500 aero's which were brand new 1990ish.... i bought them secondhand in 1994 when i first took up piking and they both lasted right up until last season with minimal maintenance, one of them is still in complete working order and the other one works but i've had to completely remove the bail spring/anti backwind mechanism as the anti backwind kept engaging when i was playing fish (i backwind on fish with the clutch wound up tight as i find i have alot more control than if i were fishing off the clutch).
now thats good build quality
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Otter on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:20 pm

The thing is at the moment I have found some Whychwood 65 big pit reels and shimano powerloop 2 3/4. 12 ft rods at a reasonable price but worry that these will not be sufficient for the job as these are carp rods and have more of a tip action. And to be honest never heard of the reels?
The Otter
The Otter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:12 am

both will be fine, howeever im not too sure about the reels as ive never used hem or know anyone who has.
rod wise there are not many budget rods that have a true fast action and from what ive seen of the cheaper shimanos they certainly dont. if anything they tend to be on the very soft side
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:03 am

I use a size 50 Wychwood Rogue Freespin reel. No problems to report, seems to be of good quality.

I use braid on the alloy spool and have mono loaded on the graphite spool. Both spools came with the reel.

I use a carp rod of 2.5lb TC that has never let me down and have loads of confidence in it. Never thought it is under powered but then my PB is (only) 16lb 8oz so never REALLY tested it. Having said that, I think it will manage with bigger fish.

The rod? Dragon Carp Dynamo 12.50 new.

Only problem I have with it is the weight but it is on a rod rest 90% of the time that I'm fishing with it. And I very rarely go waters that require huge casting distances so my next rod will be no more than 2.75lb TC.

New Carbon 2.75lb TC rod for Christmas (fingers crossed)
Lefty
Lefty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Otter on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:25 pm

OK then guys a bit of feed back required, after much reviewing and looking at various rods and reels i have now decidec on the final 2 items:-
1) Thesus 12ft 2 3/4tc rods
2) Wychwood Exorcist Big pit reels

Checked them both out and commiting to purchase a set of 2 tomorrow, is this wise or am i wasting my cash? Question
The Otter
The Otter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  craigpix2000 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:43 pm

some of the whychwood rods are ok i used to use 2.75 for piking and the 2.5 for carping and didnt have a problem and for reels if u can get hold of some shimano 4500 they are propper work horses mate and never failed me yet ive just upgraded my rods to some greys prodidgy in 3lb tc but the only reason i did that was because i got them for 35quid each worth a check on other sites buy and sell section or even on http://www.tackle-trader.com/ some good deals to be had sometimes
craigpix2000
craigpix2000

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz on Wed Nov 25, 2009 5:26 pm

I have two Wychwood Extremis rods @ 3lb TC & 2 X Shimano ???? rods @ 2.75 TC and like them all. I use the Shimano rods on smaller waters like the recent Forum fish-in (canal).

Bazz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  The Otter on Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:43 pm

Well this morning I again changed my mind through no fault of my own and changed the rods to the Wychwood Solaro 12ft 2 3/4 still gone with the same wychwood exorcist pit reels and I am well chuffed, so all I need to do now is break them in somewhere this weekend
The Otter
The Otter

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down