PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Float ledgering rivers

4 posters

Go down

Float ledgering rivers Empty Float ledgering rivers

Post  Andy Webster Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:08 pm

Have you ever fished a float ledger on a river? I did, and I also had a swinger with an alarm, just to be sure. The thing is... I fished it alongside a straight ledger on and alarm / swinger and the straight ledger outscored the float by 3 to 0. Now...on a still piece of water I just love the float. But on moving water I noticed that the float beats in time to the flow and the swinger also moved in time too. I recon that this pulsing will be transmitted to the bait... and I never had a run. In comparison, the swinger on the straight ledger never moved...except when I had three runs. Both rods were fished with the same bait within a rod length of my bank. Can the beating of the float be sending an unnatural signal to through the deadbait?

By the way...I have caught using a float ledger in rivers, in fact it is my preferred method...

Andy Cool

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Float ledgering rivers Empty Re: Float ledgering rivers

Post  noodle Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:24 pm

is the bait below a chunk of lead, on both rigs?

if so any movement of the float wont pass onto tthe bait as it would shift the lead 1st

i suppose the sound of the line singing in the water could be ... mind you the lead only would do the same

perhaps the angle from the float in this instance cut the pikes approach up its about the only (however improbable while being an armchair angler that i currrently am) thing i can think of

i used to fish a river a lot and never once bothered with teh drop off if i was float fishing
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  John Dinnewell Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:13 pm

Andy I float leger all the time on the rivers as I feel it gives the best bite indication certainly from the boat.
Could I ask was the rod which was straight legered your up stream or down stream rod.

It could be as simple as the Pike may be coming across your straight legered bait first.
Personally I find that float legering gives you the opportunity to fish tighter to snags and holding areas as you can see where your line enters the water and it is not pinned down to the river bed running through any matter of debris.
But hey if your getting the fish stick at it. It would be interesting to see the results after perhaps a dozen trips

John Dinnewell

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:56 pm

i think sometimes pike CAN and DO shy away from a float hovering above their heads, especially if the river is shallow (-6ft deep). i've had the same thing happen on a local river where depths only run to about 7ft.
maybe thats why??
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:30 pm

I fished two swims with depths around 4 to 5 feet. Baits were very close in to my bank and the rods were moved and swapped so I can't say if the pike were moving in from one side. I have caught plenty on float ledgered method on stillwaters and drains where there is no flow. I have also caught on a much deeper river. It was only one occasion that this happened so it by no means case proved. It would be interesting to hear of any similar experiences though. It may compare to the coin tossing example. Eventually it will even itself out, but you could still get heads ten times on the trot.

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down