Front drag or rear drag reel?

Go down

Front drag or rear drag reel? Empty Front drag or rear drag reel?

Post  Alex Makk on Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:23 pm

What's the best drag reel for waggler fishing? front or rear drag?

Im looking at buying a fron drag as i have never used one.....(only a avanti one from dragon carp or the internet) Neutral
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

Posts : 1422
Join date : 2009-11-15
Age : 27
Location : UK

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Front drag or rear drag reel? Empty Re: Front drag or rear drag reel?

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:42 pm

i have found as a rule front drag reels are a little lighter than rear. if your not holding your rod all day, weight does not matter, but if you are holding your rod then trust me it does. i always back wind on light gear as ive never found a drag system that i totaly trust, but if you do use the drag, then the rear drag if much easier to use.

_________________
SOON THE WHOLE WORLD WILL KNOW MY NAME.
MAD BAD ANGLER
MAD BAD ANGLER

Posts : 1588
Join date : 2008-08-27
Age : 51
Location : thorne, DONCASTER

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Front drag or rear drag reel? Empty Re: Front drag or rear drag reel?

Post  Lefty on Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:25 am

Agree Very Happy
Lefty
Lefty

Posts : 1298
Join date : 2008-08-26
Age : 49
Location : Cadeby

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Front drag or rear drag reel? Empty Re: Front drag or rear drag reel?

Post  Guest on Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:49 pm

A front drag system has less working parts than a rear drag system. I have fished both types over the years and found the front drag reels outlast their rear drag equivilents most of the time.
Also, they are quicker and easier to maintain as there are less mechanical components.
This said, the rear drag is, by its very definition, at the rear of the reel away from the line etc and can sometimes be viewed as easier to operate................

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Front drag or rear drag reel? Empty Re: Front drag or rear drag reel?

Post  robh107 on Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:22 pm

MAD BAD ANGLER wrote:i have found as a rule front drag reels are a little lighter than rear. if your not holding your rod all day, weight does not matter, but if you are holding your rod then trust me it does. i always back wind on light gear as ive never found a drag system that i totaly trust, but if you do use the drag, then the rear drag if much easier to use.

i agree mate, when float fishing i always just have the drag wound up tight and anti backwind off so i can backwind on fish and control them easier........... come to think of it i do that when piking too lol.
robh107
robh107

Posts : 835
Join date : 2008-11-28
Age : 38
Location : hull, east yorkshire

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Front drag or rear drag reel? Empty Re: Front drag or rear drag reel?

Post  Guest on Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:51 pm

robh107 wrote:
MAD BAD ANGLER wrote:i have found as a rule front drag reels are a little lighter than rear. if your not holding your rod all day, weight does not matter, but if you are holding your rod then trust me it does. i always back wind on light gear as ive never found a drag system that i totaly trust, but if you do use the drag, then the rear drag if much easier to use.

i agree mate, when float fishing i always just have the drag wound up tight and anti backwind off so i can backwind on fish and control them easier........... come to think of it i do that when piking too lol.

Above and beyond the obvious retrieve ratio advantage, why not just use a standard side-cast reel then??? - surely it is a lot simpler, if not more trustworthy???........just a thought, but what do I know - I haven't caught a Pike yet.Shocked

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Front drag or rear drag reel? Empty Re: Front drag or rear drag reel?

Post  Bazz on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:04 pm

I have two Shimano 6000RE's,(which I love) these have rear drag + baitrunner feature. Also 2 x Mitchell Premium 50's, these are very Okuma like with front drag + baitrunner, getting to really like these too! For £30 they are Ace! Pauls Angling on E-Bay..

Rear drag are dead easy to adjust WHILST playing a fish (rare event for Bazz lol! )

I do have a Fladen small spinning reel with rear drag, great for small spinners etc.. & cheapo too. Bought from the Range (see, Bazz is no tackle tart cheers ).

Bazz

Posts : 1188
Join date : 2008-11-12
Location : Notts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Front drag or rear drag reel? Empty Re: Front drag or rear drag reel?

Post  Guest on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:09 pm

Bazz wrote:I have two Shimano 6000RE's,(which I love) these have rear drag + baitrunner feature. Also 2 x Mitchell Premium 50's, these are very Okuma like with front drag + baitrunner, getting to really like these too! For £30 they are Ace! Pauls Angling on E-Bay..

Rear drag are dead easy to adjust WHILST playing a fish (rare event for Bazz lol! )

I do have a Fladen small spinning reel with rear drag, great for small spinners etc.. & cheapo too. Bought from the Range (see, Bazz is no tackle tart cheers ).

YOU TART!!!!!!
lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Front drag or rear drag reel? Empty Re: Front drag or rear drag reel?

Post  Bazz on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:11 pm

Quantity not Quality, Duane.......Quantity not Quality.... lol! lol!

Bazz

Posts : 1188
Join date : 2008-11-12
Location : Notts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Front drag or rear drag reel? Empty Re: Front drag or rear drag reel?

Post  Guest on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:13 pm

and so, the size factor creeps into the debate..............
geek lol! geek lol! geek

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Front drag or rear drag reel? Empty Re: Front drag or rear drag reel?

Post  Guest on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:24 pm

Bazz, I would like to take the oportunity to formaly thanks you for investing the time to actually aknowledge my comments and respond accordingly............... for a while I have been thinking that there was a glitch with the forum programme and nobody could see my posts!!!
cheers mate, you're gold Wink

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Front drag or rear drag reel? Empty Re: Front drag or rear drag reel?

Post  Bazz on Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:31 pm

your welcome.. Wink

Bazz

Posts : 1188
Join date : 2008-11-12
Location : Notts

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Front drag or rear drag reel? Empty Re: Front drag or rear drag reel?

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum