PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pike feeding temperatures

+9
robh107
noodle
nightwatchman
greg
patch
dave78
Marty Mac
deadbait
craigpix2000
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

pike feeding temperatures - Page 2 Empty Re: pike feeding temperatures

Post  Guest Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:02 pm

noodle wrote:pike feeding is simple

if they are hungry they will eat, the second part of this is you have to be there to catch them

now im not saying they feed as well in periods of changable weather but if it isnt settled then they are not going to sit there hungry thinking ah well ill give it another week before i eat cos if i eat that roach in front of me in this weather it will go straight to my fins Razz
cheers lol! cheers lol! cheers lol! cheers lol! cheers

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:40 pm

nightwatchman wrote:So what we saying here chaps?

Is it a case of if there is a quick drop in temperature they will not feed, but no matter how cold it is, if it stays consistent they will feed? Rolling Eyes

in my 15 years experience its nearly always happened that way mate, they always seem less enthusiastic after a major temperature drop but as long as things stay stable after the drop then they do come back onto the feed within a week or so.... they do still slow down in colder conditions though.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:49 pm

My experience (years not given) has shown that barometric pressure, and the variation thereof, has always outweighed the influence on the feeding habits of fish over water temperature................... I must however agree that temp does have a significant effect and acknowledge that I have never experienced temperatures like this???

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:22 pm

It was -7 last night but its slightly warmer today.
Hoping to get out as soon as I can find a venue that hasn't frozen over! Sad
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:26 pm

nightwatchman wrote:It was -7 last night but its slightly warmer today.

You and me both mate.................the Pike bug has really bitten me!!! bounce bounce bounce bounce

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:28 pm

duane wrote:
nightwatchman wrote:It was -7 last night but its slightly warmer today.

You and me both mate.................the Pike bug has really bitten me!!! bounce bounce bounce bounce

only -7 its not that cold tongue
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:55 pm

duane wrote:My experience (years not given) has shown that barometric pressure, and the variation thereof, has always outweighed the influence on the feeding habits of fish over water temperature................... I must however agree that temp does have a significant effect and acknowledge that I have never experienced temperatures like this???

hmm not too sure on the effect of air pressure as i've been less inclined to take notes of it but i might do in the coming months to see if it does adversely affect the fish
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:11 pm

robh107 wrote:
duane wrote:My experience (years not given) has shown that barometric pressure, and the variation thereof, has always outweighed the influence on the feeding habits of fish over water temperature................... I must however agree that temp does have a significant effect and acknowledge that I have never experienced temperatures like this???

hmm not too sure on the effect of air pressure as i've been less inclined to take notes of it but i might do in the coming months to see if it does adversely affect the fish

Just google it mate, it is well enough documented..............any change in atmospheric pressure is amplified under the water pressure at a given depth (obviously deeper the water the greater the water pressure)..............blah-blah-blah........... Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:15 pm

well here goes my thoughts and ill keep it simple

water temp rarely (some exceptions exist) rarely drop below 4 deg c
dissolved O2 levels are at there highest at 4degc
pike as with all fish are cold blooded so there body core temps will be around the water temp (poss a fraction of a deg higher due to metabolic processes but certainly not as high as mammalian temps to give an example
if they can take in more O2 then even though the metabolism slows down they can metabolise there food
ok they are facts no geting away from it, well maybe not the last one thats a thought of mine

oh barometric pressure has a large influence on the amount of O2 that can be dissolved into a given volume of water, so if we work on the premise that O2 levels may be the trigger influenced by barometric pressure (more so for predators ill get to this in a bit) in he main then high pressure sould see an increased level of activity, ergo lower presure will see the feeding tail off

about predators, they need to feed up earlier than other species as they breed earlier, so could it be possible that rather than water temp its the availability of dissolved O2 that may be the main reason we read patterns into stable periods in the weather.
ie long periods of stable temps in winter see the O2 levels (bearing in mind the water temp will be near the optimum for accepting disolved O2 levels reach a high level allowing the pike to take advantage of said oxygen to boost the rate at which they can metabolise there food?

any comments?

Last edited by noodle on Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:18 pm

EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:51 pm

i should also add waters that are more wind affected show what i described above more so than smaller less windy waters, again this is due to the fact the wind disturbance gives a larger surface area for the uptake of O2.
i should also point out that water is at its most dense at 4 deg c which is why ice floats and oddly its the only chemical known in the universe (as far as im aware) to do this, and as a consequence why life exists on earth if the oceans froze (as they have) and water froze fom the bottom up life would never have become as diverse or maybe happened at all.

water wonderfull stuff isnt it and that before you get to its other oddities like hydrogen bonding
pour a litre of liquid sugar into a litre of liquid water how much fluid do you end up with (temp variations apply at 4deg c (yet again told you water was strange stuff) you will get the most dissolved and hence the least volume overall
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:38 pm

duane wrote:EXACTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol! lol! lol! lol! lol!

how much does it differ from fresh water to salt water fishing.
temperature wise ?. a pond, lake, loch, the sea. shurely not all them hold the same temp all year round. inlets, springs , hills would have an efect on the temp ?.

only asking Very Happy
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:11 pm

Dunno really............still trying to get my head around it all to be honest and am sure there are people on this forum who are more qualified to answer.
What I can say is that there are a lot more variables to consider with saltwater than those previously mentioned here. These include, but are not limited to, ocean currents, tides, moonphase, wind speed and direction etc.
Regardless, I am still convinced that barometric pressure plays a greater role in the feeding habits and energy levels of fish than water temperature on its own..
Just my opinion though..................

"Rubber Lugs" Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:17 pm

well sea water is at its densest at 4 deg c as is distilled water

all those you mention greg offer small variations

shallow venues can drop below 4c, and a problem with my simplistic idea to do with stratification occurs on deeper waters( turnover, chemical gradients osmosis and the idea of entropy are not always the way to think), the sea in the most part is slightly different as its more tidal and salinity differentials in the oceans along with temp gradients all change things to a degree, for instance the pacific and indian ocean are slightly lower (i hope ive got it the right way around) as they have a tiny fraction more salinity than the atlantic, this helps create the cape, and horns rather extreme swells, and may also have an effect on the gulf stream, hence the thinking we could get much colder here if global warming is a real threat (look at were we are in the world and what other countries on our lattitude) the benefit of a marine climate, and a beneficial ocean stream pushing warm water our way (the return leg is driven by cooler water from the arctic

im getting out of my depth here i know very little about oceanography so that may all be tripe as it were sorry and if anyone knows better please feel free to correct me.
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:21 pm

just read your post duane

just dont start on the moonphase thing please

im not havin that or the next thing we will be beleiving in werewolves

Laughing

cant get my head round it. yes i know there will be tidal, light level influences due to the moon but i still feel that O2 and other more immediate physical considerations are more relevant than the influence of our twin planet
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Moonphase has a huge bearing when considering saltwater fishing as it influences the tides and all subsequent consequences thereof.
I do however agree that we should not concern ourselves with it too much for fresh water and pike fishing.
Pfffffffft................Werewolves????? lol!

Last edited by duane on Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:36 pm

duane wrote:Moonphase has a huge bearing when considering saltwater fishing as it influences the tides and all subsequent consequences thereof.
I do however agree that we should not concern ourselves with it for fresh water and pike fishing.
Pfffffffft................Werewolves????? lol!

its possibly one of the biggest topics in pike fishing at the minute has been for a few years now

for my money id bet more big pike get caught when you factor in the phenomonom of weekdays that begin with an S and the fact that most anglers fish for them on said days

clown Laughing
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:21 am

Combine the "S" days with days of fair weather and you may have the winning combination??? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Dec 23, 2009 4:28 pm

noodle wrote:well sea water is at its densest at 4 deg c as is distilled water

shallow venues can drop below 4c, and a problem with my simplistic idea to do with stratification occurs on deeper waters( turnover, chemical gradients osmosis and the idea of entropy are not always the way to think), the sea in the most part is slightly different as its more tidal and salinity differentials in the oceans along with temp gradients all change things to a degree, for instance the pacific and indian ocean are slightly lower (i hope ive got it the right way around) as they have a tiny fraction more salinity than the atlantic, this helps create the cape, and horns rather extreme swells, and may also have an effect on the gulf stream, hence the thinking we could get much colder here if global warming is a real threat (look at were we are in the world and what other countries on our lattitude) the benefit of a marine climate, and a beneficial ocean stream pushing warm water our way (the return leg is driven by cooler water from the arctic

im getting out of my depth here i know very little about oceanography so that may all be tripe as it were sorry and if anyone knows better please feel free to correct me.

correct you, are you havin a laff. when you go into depth on something it's like back at school. at times hard to comprehend.........

any way what about the Moonphase. whens good or bad. never got to grips with it.
go easy wi the answer ......
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:52 pm

Maybe this will help Greg................................

How Does Fishing By Moon Phase Work?

Every fisherman knows that the best fishing times are when the fish are feeding. This tends to be during dawn and dusk, but what often goes unnoticed are the two periods elsewhere in the day–moonrise and moonset. Because the moon has an effect on a variety of factors surrounding the fish–including the live fodder they hunt–these periods, combined with the moon’s phase, are what trigger feeding.

By understanding this, and choosing times when sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset coincide with new or full moon phases, you’ll increase you chance of a good fishing catch. Assuming there are fish in the area, of course.

Choosing The Best Fishing Times

There really is nothing complicated about this at all; it’s just a matter of knowing ahead of time exactly when the sun and moon will rise and set. Fish are most active during 90-minute windows surrounding each of these four daily events; that’s 45 minutes before and after these four daily points.

Fishing during these four periods will help increase your fishing catch, but if you plan wisely so as to ensure you’re at the water’s edge on the days of new or full moon, you can use these ‘windows’ to reel in a catch like you’ve never done before. If you have to choose between sunrise/set and moonrise/set, always go with the moon as the moon is the stronger influence.

Hunters have always known that fish and game are most active at dawn and dusk–sunrise and sunset–but their activity surrounding moonrise and moonset is less noticeable because these events are likely to occur without e­ffecting any change in the perceived light. The rise and set of a new moon is invisible anyway, and overcast weather often hides the moon. Without prior knowledge of setting and rising times, two of the best fishing times will be missed every day!

Other Considerations

When planning your fishing by moon phase, there are certain other factors that should also be considered.

Barometric Pressure - The pressure exerted by the atmosphere has a marked effect on the dissolved Oxygen levels in water and subsequent energy levels and feeding habits of fish.

Weather - Severe weather changes have an impact on the way fish feed. When a storm’s brewing, or just after one has passed, is a good time. If this happens while you’re in place, you’ll be in for a treat! However, if there’s a cold front approaching, the fish are likely to move deeper into the water and become inactive.

Season - Most fish are more likely to bite willingly during seasonal transitions with the transition from winter to spring and summer to fall being the two best fishing times.

Good luck!

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:04 pm

cheers duane study
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:13 pm

No worries mate................glad i could contribute constructively and be of assistance for a change. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:17 pm

duane wrote:No worries mate................glad i could contribute constructively and be of assistance for a change. Wink

stop puting yourself down Very Happy leave that for me Twisted Evil

new about first thing in the morning and last thing at night. but not the 90min window
good reading. ta
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:22 pm

Cheers......... must admit that I am starting to get my head around the fundamentals of Piking and have realised that most of my experience and knowledge I gained over a period of 34 years in SA is relevant and applicable to fishing anywhere in the world - just need to make a few minor tweaks but "so far, so good"! tongue

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:31 pm

greg wrote:
noodle wrote:well sea water is at its densest at 4 deg c as is distilled water

correct you, are you havin a laff. when you go into depth on something it's like back at school. at times hard to comprehend.........

any way what about the Moonphase. whens good or bad. never got to grips with it.
go easy wi the answer ......

sorry i did science at uni biochemistry and environmental sciences to be more exact

i do try and keep it simple, look on the bright side i could have gone on about covalent bonding, and the angle well the odd angle it happens at with water, it helps explain waters oddities in waters chemistry Laughing

i do try and keep it simple though
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next