PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

pike fishing in derbyshire,

5 posters

Go down

pike fishing in derbyshire, Empty pike fishing in derbyshire,

Post  t7ommy Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:30 pm

hi my name is tom im looking to go pike fishing tomorow, i am new to pike fishing and i am just trying to get as much info as i can confused , ie the best place to fish for a non experiencd pike fisherman, im not looking to pull out a monster, just a small pool/still water to gain expirence with catching and handleing pike any info you can give me will be gratefully received

thanx tom
t7ommy
t7ommy

Back to top Go down

pike fishing in derbyshire, Empty pike derbyshire

Post  bigchris Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:01 pm

hi tom welcome to the site.several place i can think of sort ov youre direction.firstly ladybower dam,(allestree lake,allestree,derbyshire de22 2eu)buttely resevoir 01773 746486.cromford canal,chesterfield canal.or look on pike angler.co.uk the other part to this site,check the regional pac sites for youre area they should have some on there to help.basically it how far out you want to go.hope that is some help to you. Cool

bigchris

Back to top Go down

pike fishing in derbyshire, Empty Re: pike fishing in derbyshire,

Post  t7ommy Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:07 pm

hi chris i looked at butterly as it is quite close to me, is it not a bit big if im just starting to pike fish, or is there a favord part of the lake the pike go to?
t7ommy
t7ommy

Back to top Go down

Post  bigchris Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:09 pm

its been a long time since ive fished over that way,origonally im from mansfield now living in doncaster Cool so youve never pike fished b4?

bigchris

Back to top Go down

Post  t7ommy Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:14 pm

yeah me and a friend of mine have been to alestree and a place called gailey fishery last weekend and we wernt the only ones who wernt catching anything, no body did, were new at it really just setting up with all the tackle and learning different rig set ups etc, dead bait live bait and lure,
t7ommy
t7ommy

Back to top Go down

Post  bigchris Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:23 pm

anything you want to know just ask all the lads on here are really good and will always offer you advice.if you just staring out id keep it a simple set up.ledger rig flat on the bottom,its hard to explain where on buttely to fish as it has been years since ive been there.but you wouldnt need to cast out far just look for the usual signs reed beds,over hanging trees,bait fish youre little skimmers and the like.what bait you gnna use,take a few with you cos one might work better than the other,as for not catching,been there many atime if the fish just aint feeding note you can really do about it.

bigchris

Back to top Go down

Post  t7ommy Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:33 pm

weve got smelt, brown trout, makrel, and sprats, do you fish directly off the dam at lady bower or is there a only a few select places you can go?and are all the places uve sugested day ticket and can you use dead bait?. if it were u where would you go?
t7ommy
t7ommy

Back to top Go down

Post  bigchris Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:05 pm

ive just had alook at ladybower and it saying limited no off pike and a phone no to ring.personally id give that a miss.yeah all the others day ticket no probs.as for dead baits there usually not a problem using them.some places however insist on no coarse fish deadbaits.bait issues is use of live baits a few places wont let you use them,but when you arrive at where you gonna fish just ask someone they should be able to tell you.as for advice for fishing pike dont just look at how to catch check out some of the other posts on this site regarding handling and releasing at end of day you want to be suitably confident in handling pike so as not to hurt the fish or yourself.i know that sound a bit preachy but its all part of the coarse with pike fishing,it gives you just as much enjoyment releasing it back unharmed as is does catching it in the first place

bigchris

Back to top Go down

pike fishing in derbyshire, Empty re pike derbyshire

Post  bigchris Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:12 pm

just had a look on google earth youve got the river henmore near you have you tried that?

bigchris

Back to top Go down

Post  t7ommy Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:14 pm

yeah i am confident that i can handle the pike corectly watched no end of pike programes, but i supose that theres nothing better than doing it for real, me and my mate have decided were going to try the a1 pits dont know if uve heard of them atall, yeah the henmore is near us but we havent tried it, thank you very much for your help hope to speak to you again soon i will let you know how we get on.

Thanx again. tom
t7ommy
t7ommy

Back to top Go down

Post  norbs Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:51 pm

A1 pits aren't the easiest of lakes (although says me now addicted to bloody Damflask!), if you were going to give them a go start on pit 1, there's a couple of photos of one of the guys on site in the 'anyone catching' thread. Pit 5 has some biggies in, my 19lb pb came from pit 6.

Good thing about A1 is you can livebait....that's if you can catch em Mad
norbs
norbs

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:18 pm

Hi t7ommy

As chris says, if you only just starting out:
"you want to be suitably confident in handling pike so as not to hurt the fish or yourself."

That is top notch advice and couldn't have said it better myself.

You don't need expensive tackle to fish for pike. Hell, my tackle is about as inexpensive as you can get Razz

I highly recommend you take some side cutters, long nosed forceps, specimen sized landing net and an unhooking mat each and every time you go fishing. That way you will be prepared for just about every eventuality.

I always use barbless or crushed barb hooks and have converted to using 2 single hooks instead of trebles as it makes life a lot easier to unhook the fish. People are surprised when they see my rig and I tell them I catch just as many pike with this set up.

Read as many of the posts from the forum as you can and don't be afraid to ask questions.

We've all been in the same boat as you and wanted help and advice. And the only way to get it is to ask. You may well find that people think more highly of you for asking than just plodding along and stuggling potentially causing harm to yourself and your catch.

All the best, mate.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Slidze Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:15 pm

Excellent reply Lefty mate Wink
Slidze
Slidze

http://slidzenicely.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down