PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Swimbait/Jointed Lure Making

+2
patch
Chumley Warner
6 posters

Go down

Swimbait/Jointed Lure Making Empty Swimbait/Jointed Lure Making

Post  Chumley Warner Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:21 pm

Yallreet Folks,

Need some help with my lure making antics. Im currently making some CW "2Play" jointed lures (like the 4Play) and want any opinions on how to connect the joints. I was going to put 2 eyes on one side with a rod through on the other one holding them together, much like the 4Play but as its made out of wood I didnt think the joint would stand up to the constant side to side movement.

Cheers, CW
Chumley Warner
Chumley Warner

Back to top Go down

Swimbait/Jointed Lure Making Empty Re: Swimbait/Jointed Lure Making

Post  patch Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:12 pm

its gunna be a hard 1 mybe try to counter sink the eyes into the lure for abit more strength and still use a rod from the other end Neutral thats all i can think ov mate!

ps...when are the CW 2plays gunna be on general sale cheers

Last edited by patch on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
patch
patch

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:46 am

go to a good remote control model shop and look at the aileron hinges there are some which you would be able to use chumley

p.s working my way through the levels on mw2 lol!
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:21 pm

simplest way is to use two sets of screw eyes screw them both in then open one side pop the other into those then close them again.

only do that with stainless though the nickel and brass ones tend to snap.

the method (rod and eyes) works as well, i have some wooden swimbaits made in that way
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:22 am

The only reservations I have with using the screw in eyes, is the reliability of the threadhold itself - ie. how much tension can the thread handle before it strips out (considering it is essentially only anchored into a piece of wood)???
..........obviously, first prize would always be to have a continuous piece of wire through the lure sections terminating with formed eyes at each end (these could be interlinked in the centre to form the hinged joint)................unfortunately this is not so easy to do if you don't have the right equipment to drill the holes true/straight through the lure sections!

Anybody out there found a way to do this without hassles??????? Wink

Back to top Go down

Post  Chumley Warner Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:53 pm

patch wrote:its gunna be a hard 1 mybe try to counter sink the eyes into the lure for abit more strength and still use a rod from the other end Neutral thats all i can think ov mate!

ps...when are the CW 2plays gunna be on general sale cheers

lol, still in the first stages of production mate. If I get to one of the fish'ins Ill fetch em. Im just waiting for my Salmo Slider rip offs to dry so I can give them a go. Very Happy

Duane mate, Ive used the long screw in eyes coz Ive ruined 2 trying to drill through. Ive tested them at all angles to 50lb (max scale weight) and theyve shown no obvious signs of breakage although they do twist slightly. My other option is to saw the lure down the middle and make the cavity for a straight through wire but Ive not tried this yet. I must say that I am a complete novice at this and will probably just have to learn by mistake. There is a lot on lure building on the net on sites Noodle and Andy Mc have put up.

Has anyone used Hammerite to paint their lures? I did one in Metallic hammered Black and it looks the dogs but not sure about the finish holding up.

Cheers, CW
Chumley Warner
Chumley Warner

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:17 pm

have you sealed the hammerite with anything? whats it painted onto?
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Swimbait/Jointed Lure Making Empty Jointed lures

Post  noz Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:42 pm

I allways drill through both bits and use linked wires. I am lucky enough to have both wood and metal lathes; long thin drills can be obtained from Cromwell tools. I have wondered if there is a market for me to sell a few blanks ???????
Noz

noz

Back to top Go down

Swimbait/Jointed Lure Making Empty lure making

Post  siwood99 Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:19 am

Chumley Warner wrote:Yallreet Folks,

Need some help with my lure making antics. Im currently making some CW "2Play" jointed lures (like the 4Play) and want any opinions on how to connect the joints. I was going to put 2 eyes on one side with a rod through on the other one holding them together, much like the 4Play but as its made out of wood I didnt think the joint would stand up to the constant side to side movement.

Cheers, CW

Hi mate, i have made several swimbaits (with great success) and have used two 1 inch hook hangers per joint. these hook hangers were opened and put into each other to create a hinge. to set the hook hangers i pre drilled the holes with a 1mm drill bit then used araldite on the screw hook hangers in place for the lure itself i used 10mm hardwood lengths x 100mm wide for the main body. Very Happy
siwood99
siwood99

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down