PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

River Crossens, a Pirate, and a Jack Pike...................

3 posters

Go down

River Crossens, a Pirate, and a Jack Pike................... Empty River Crossens, a Pirate, and a Jack Pike...................

Post  Guest Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:45 pm

Bazz and I set out bright and early this morning for a bit of piking on the River Crossens in the Southport area.
Despite the biting cold, a fresh eaterly wind and the water being extremely coloured and cold from ground run-off, the water was at least ice free and we were comfortably set up with our lines in the water by 09h30 am. Very Happy
Fishing was extremely slow and by 12h30 we had not had any enquiries other than the baliff asking us to produce our day tickets.
Shortly after this we noted a suitably attired bloke sauntering toward us along the river bank. The gent approached us and proceeded to get chatting and spent about 20 minutes discussing the area, fishing in general, and humbly dishing out advice before eventually introducing himself as the one and only "Piking Pirate" Mr Gord Burton. Shocked He spent another 10 minutes having a chat and before leaving, advised that we should try tossing our baits in a small drain behind the swim we had been fishing all morning.
Upon his departure (and after Bazz explaining exactly who we had just had the pleasure of talking to) we duly took his advice and transfered one of our baits to the said drain.
I was rewarded with a young Jack Pike of about 4 lbs about a half an hour later but, despite persevering until light was lost, no further fish were caught. Crying or Very sad
Still a great day out, in great company, and another fish to chalk up on my catch log!!! bounce
Thanks to Bazz for all his assistance and a thoroughly enjoyable fishing experience.
Also thanks to Gord for the advice and guidance he so openly and humbly imparted to Bazz and myself - you are a true gent! Wink

PS. I unfortunately cannot post pics as there are too many identifying landmarks in the background......tongue

Back to top Go down

River Crossens, a Pirate, and a Jack Pike................... Empty Re: River Crossens, a Pirate, and a Jack Pike...................

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:56 pm

well done mate. never met god... sorry gord, but have heard he is a top class bloke and can be really funny.

Back to top Go down

River Crossens, a Pirate, and a Jack Pike................... Empty Re: River Crossens, a Pirate, and a Jack Pike...................

Post  Guest Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:06 pm

yeah as I said, what a humble bloke - a true gent....................chatting to him was a pleasure and a memorable moment.
Googled his name this evening and was amazed at his experience and achievements as a pike angler! Shocked

Anyways, I see your guys trip was a bit fruitless...............that's how it goes hey - one day the chicken, the next day the feathers??? Rolling Eyes
Regardless, it sounds as if fun was had by all............

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:14 pm

oh gawd, was gord fishing?

other than that ill stay out of this one, oh one question did he offer you a day out on a windy water?

just curious Razz
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:51 pm

Gord not fishing but on walk about chatting to the anglers. Didn't realize he was from Southport, like me... I did know Dave Lumb lives at nearby Tarleton, though...he had more sense than the rest of us! Rolling Eyes

There were a few of us out, Duane was the only man of all of us to catch. The main sluice was mucky brown & I had my doubts but the bailiff & local tackle dealer (Tight-Lines) reckoned it would fish ok. The "back sluice" was a tricky one with steep banks and reeds suitable to thatch a house with Laughing Laughing Netting Duane's fish was a challenge! I managed to not fall in.

Great meeting you Duane, it was a pleasure. Next time I'm visiting my home town I shall try to 'hook' up with you again (excuse the pun!) & people...don't ignore him, he is a great chap & full of enthusiasm. Educated me quite a bit about South Africa & fishing for specimen fish off the shores there..

Bazz the blanker.... lol! Basketball

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down