home made traces

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

home made traces - Page 5 Empty Re: home made traces

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER on Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:16 pm

fox safe lock ones every time mate Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:41 pm

MAD BAD ANGLER wrote:fox safe lock ones every time mate Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Very Happy Totaly agreee Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

View user profile http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty on Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:05 pm

paddy pike wrote:
MAD BAD ANGLER wrote:fox safe lock ones every time mate Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Very Happy Totaly agreee Very Happy

Ditto.

The only time I ever use #3 is for a quick change weak link when legering with a feeder or bomb whilst coarse fishing.
Lefty
Lefty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Sat Jun 12, 2010 3:31 pm

definitely the safe lock ones mate.... they're the least likely to open up when under pressure from a large fish. i use the berkeley "cross lock" swivels, basically the same set up although i think possibly a bit stronger than the fox version.
none of us want to leave a lure attached to a pike, especially if (like myself) you use barbed trebles on them.
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:33 pm

Very Happy The ones in the first picture, I use these as well, But only on the end of my line, Then if you have to move a fair distance you can unclip your hooks/trace/ or lures off, This way you dont have to tackle down, And you can move about safely, Nothing worse than a hook in your hand, Or even worse in sombody elses, Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:57 pm

Berkley Cross-Loks for me too. Bought 100 of them ages ago.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:03 pm

Very Happy They are the same looking as the fox safe lock arn't they Andy Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:35 pm

Much the same idea yes but I'm not sure about Fox end tackle after the plastic treble hooks debacle.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:23 am

most of the gear i've seen from fox is decidedly iffy (barring my mk1 front end swingers) and i cant think of a single item from them that i'd buy again..... i've either had to modify or stop using most of their stuff that i've bought (remember my micron p's anyone??).
i definitely trust the berkeley cross locks alot more than fox's version.
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:06 am

Very Happy I tend not to buy Fox stuff, Although i know a lot of people who swear by it, I bought some 25Lb wire trace, "Soft twist" And when unwinding it of the spool, Then cutting into set lengths, I noticed it had a cut mark every couple of feet, And you could snap it with a good pull, Sent it back to fox, But not even a reply from them, So it was there loss in the end, Shocked
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:08 am

Some of it's OK. The rods are generally very good. It's the en tackle that scares me.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:13 am

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Some of it's OK. The rods are generally very good. It's the en tackle that scares me.
Very Happy Its surprising how many fishermen wont use anything else but Fox gear,
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:05 pm

paddy pike wrote:
Andy Macfarlane wrote:Some of it's OK. The rods are generally very good. It's the en tackle that scares me.
Very Happy Its surprising how many fishermen wont use anything else but Fox gear,

thats just being an extreme tackle tart for the sake of it.... like these chavs who ONLY wear clothes/shoes of one brand. its totally ridiculous!!!
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:36 pm

robh107 wrote:most of the gear i've seen from fox is decidedly iffy (barring my mk1 front end swingers) and i cant think of a single item from them that i'd buy again..... i've either had to modify or stop using most of their stuff that i've bought (remember my micron p's anyone??).

Indeed, i dont really like back rest alarms(unless they are BBB's as they look the part, but i'd like the cash to get a pair lol! )
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:46 pm

MrMakk wrote:
robh107 wrote:most of the gear i've seen from fox is decidedly iffy (barring my mk1 front end swingers) and i cant think of a single item from them that i'd buy again..... i've either had to modify or stop using most of their stuff that i've bought (remember my micron p's anyone??).

Indeed, i dont really like back rest alarms(unless they are BBB's as they look the part, but i'd like the cash to get a pair lol! )
Very Happy Very Happy I realy hate the alarms, Must be my age or somthing, But i prefer to watch for a bite, Very Happy Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  bull on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:27 pm

i like a bacon and egg sarni, now thats some bite to get your teeth into, apart from the pike getting its teeth into your bait. lol!

bull

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:29 pm

paddy pike wrote:
MrMakk wrote:

Very Happy Very Happy I realy hate the alarms, Must be my age or somthing, But i prefer to watch for a bite, Very Happy Very Happy

You want to come piking with me then and do a MAN session. No watching floats or bobbins here mate. There ain't enough coffee on the planet... Smile

Watching...lol...that's for Romanians and part-timers...lol
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk on Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:36 pm

paddy pike wrote:
MrMakk wrote:

i'd say the alarm is just as important as the rod, people say its cheating, i say it a addition to my bad hearing and another method of ledgering Very Happy Very Happy lol!
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

View user profile http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:07 pm

MrMakk wrote:
paddy pike wrote:
MrMakk wrote:

i'd say the alarm is just as important as the rod, people say its cheating, i say it a addition to my bad hearing and another method of ledgering Very Happy Very Happy lol!
Very Happy Dont get me wrong Alex, I have used them for years while Carp Fishing, Very Happy And i dont mind other anglers using them if that is there want, I just went of them, But if i went carping in France i would defo take some with me Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:50 pm

I'm only pulling yer plonker mate. If you were a novice, I'd suggest you used alarms at all times but you've been pike fishing long enough to know what's what... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:00 am

Andy Macfarlane wrote:
paddy pike wrote:
MrMakk wrote:

You want to come piking with me then and do a MAN session. No watching floats or bobbins here mate. There ain't enough coffee on the planet... Smile

Watching...lol...that's for Romanians and part-timers...lol
Very Happy Sorry Andy i missed this post you P/ss taker, Next time we go to my Daughters i will give you a shout, And then we can have a few hours casting for The Pike together Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  daveb on Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:57 pm

I understand people have differing opinions regarding Fox gear but I've never had any major issues, what I would say is that the Fox Carbo Flex wire will outlast regular wire traces by a large amount.

In my experience it can only take a couple of pike to mangle a regular wire trace but I've had more than 10 pike to one carbo flex trace and it's still been perfectly servicable so I would highly recomend this wire.

Don't forget, one of the UK's most well known pike anglers Mick Brown uses all the Fox terminal tackle so it must be fairly decent...

In saying all this my fishing mate tells me he lost a VERY big pike on Ardliegh res. (spelling?) some years back where the Fox trebble hook basically broke - not good.

I always crimp (quicker than twisting) and have never once had one fail:

Carbo Flex 30lb
Carbo Flex crimps
Fox trebbles size 6 semi-barbed
Fox crimp sleves
Fox hook sleves (medium)
Fox diamond eye swivels (size 5 - diamond eye one end, round the other)

My traces made with the above components can last two or three years without problems.

Wink
daveb
daveb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:53 pm

You serious, Traces lasting 2-3 years? Do you catch much? I get all my Wire, Hooks, Swivels, Clips etc from here: http://www.eddieturner.co.uk/ And I twist the wire rather than crimp it. Works for me.

Back to top Go down

Post  daveb on Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:41 pm

You serious, Traces lasting 2-3 years?

Sure I catch pike Very Happy Carbo Flex has a carbon/kevlar coating which protects the trace and helps it last well...
daveb
daveb

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:05 pm

But 2-3 years? For the sake of a few quids worth of wire, its better to be sure? Surely it kinks a bit in a hard winters use? Its a bit thick and blatent looking for me but if its what your confident in then thats all what matters. I was just shocked that you get 2-3 years out of a trace.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next