doncaster PAC meeting

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

doncaster PAC meeting

Post  kell on Mon Jan 11, 2010 5:15 pm

You do not need to be a member of pac to come just thought i would get that out of the way.

i was hoping for a bit of show and tell at the next meeting, i would like to bring some of my traces in for everyone to rip to bits and then mybe improve them.

would this be possible lot easyier that writeing what you want to know Very Happy
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: doncaster PAC meeting

Post  adie1200 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Good idea Kell Very Happy

Get some of the more experienced pikers to show how rigs and set ups and such should be done Wink

how about it ?????

Adie
adie1200
Admin

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen abbott on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:32 pm

Any questions on pike and pike rigs can be posed and answered at the next p.a.c meeting. It will be easier to talk face to face with demo's and my thoughts. Everyone welcome, don't be afraid to ask questions.
Stephen

stephen abbott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:59 pm

Suspect

Last edited by greg on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
greg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:00 pm

so whens the next meet then steve?
nickcarpy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:23 pm

nickcarpy wrote:so whens the next meet then steve?

Its on the 21st Nick Wink

Adie
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen abbott on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:05 pm

Greg, sorry for the delay in replying.
I think it is for the best if we discuss the issue after the donny meeting.
Thanks
Stephen

stephen abbott

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:08 pm

Suspect

Last edited by greg on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
greg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kell on Mon Jan 18, 2010 3:58 pm

any body going near a tackle shop that sells drennon esox titanium trace wire i need a roll of 20lb and 30lb would collect them thursday night

i would go myself but i have some fishing planned and it would cut into it lol
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:25 pm

Suspect

Last edited by greg on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
greg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:48 pm

greg..... have patience mate..... we dont know if they've even got home yet Smile
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:59 pm

greg ive just got home an only live a mile away mate,if you posted like that to me i would not post back to you.by the way,his point was shown an proofed right my friend so wait till tomorrow and i am sure you will be answered!
nickcarpy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:17 pm

Post deleted Please keep it friendly Wink

Adie
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:27 pm

Have to say that Steve gave a great presentation and what he said (and showed) truly make sense.

Be patient and wait to see what he has to say, you may or may not agree with him , but if you saw his demonstration, it rings true.

Also, speaking to a few of the lads, I may even revert to using a treble on a popped up rig, even though I have said that I don't like the idea of using trebles.

If you can make it to a meeting (not necessarily our local one) then do so. It's a good night out with like-minded friends who are there to offer advice on their own experiences and will also take your advice on board as well.
Lefty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:40 pm

Well i was sceptical But after Steves demo i'm convinced about the minimum 3oz weight And will be giving it a bash on my next outing Very Happy

Its one of them things You need to see it as its not easy to put it into words Wink

Just shows theres always something in this sport to learn Cool

Adie
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff on Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:58 pm

adie1200 wrote:Well i was sceptical But after Steves demo i'm convinced about the minimum 3oz weight And will be giving it a bash on my next outing Very Happy

Its one of them things You need to see it as its not easy to put it into words Wink

Adie

Got to agree Adie, it was a good demo,
perhaps not suitable in every instance, but steve has a vallied point.
Very Happy
what did you think kell
esoxjeff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:19 pm

Suspect

Last edited by greg on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
greg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 pm

greg this is a open site for anybody to join in but all we ask from people is to respect other people views even if they are differant to yours,yes i do think steve should post his answers but would you if peopleposted remarks like you did??? Neutral Neutral next answer to another question you posted,no you dont have to be a donny lad to fit in on this site,you only have to ask the other members not in the doncaster area. Very Happy
nickcarpy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster on Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:10 pm

Well I have to say that my eyes were opened to the benefits of a heavy lead.

Stephen ably demonstrated that, when ledgering, a lead that is heavy enough to remain in position will show a run immediately. No drop backs, no open bail arm. He also showed how a lead that moves when the bait is moved, in many instances (50% ish) often won't show any indication. It was quite clear that heavy leads are required and that light leads can easily result in deep hooked pike. When the bait is moved anywhere either side of the lead or towards the rod the lead skips around, riding up towards the rod tip which keeps the line tight and prevents a dropback from registering.

I was dubious about the need for a heavy lead and Stephen definitely answered my questions with a very simple demo. Thanks Stephen cheers

Andy Webster

Andy Webster

View user profile http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  BradfordLad on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:10 pm

Great night last night Stephen what a real gentleman giving up his time to come and give a really informative talk.There were quite a few discussions last night but no of this was gossip in fact i came away with a tonne more knowledge about all aspects of Pike fishing.I can tell you this it wold be a real shame if really expeirence predator anglers like Steve and Geoff had been put off with the "Why do i bother" feeling......Well done guys i take my hat off.

100 mile round trip cant wait for the next meeting.

Last edited by BradfordLad on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
BradfordLad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  greg on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:25 pm

Suspect

Last edited by greg on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
greg

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:30 pm

Andy Webster wrote:Well I have to say that my eyes were opened to the benefits of a heavy lead.

Stephen ably demonstrated that, when ledgering, a lead that is heavy enough to remain in position will show a run immediately. No drop backs, no open bail arm. He also showed how a lead that moves when the bait is moved, in many instances (50% ish) often won't show any indication. It was quite clear that heavy leads are required and that light leads can easily result in deep hooked pike. When the bait is moved anywhere either side of the lead or towards the rod the lead skips around, riding up towards the rod tip which keeps the line tight and prevents a dropback from registering.

I was dubious about the need for a heavy lead and Stephen definitely answered my questions with a very simple demo. Thanks Stephen cheers

Andy Webster

sounds like stephen gave a good demo..... 1 question though..... what was the bite indication set up he was demonstrating the heavy lead with?? i only ask because if it was one of fox's drop off type indicators complete with line gate then that would explain the need for the heavy lead.... before i modded mine with home made line clips i had problems with fish dragging the lead around purely because even at the lightest setting the gate simply would not release the line. since i modified them it only takes a very slight pull to release the line hence no reason to overload the rod on casting with an oversized lead and decent sized deadbait.
i know for a fact that i get instant indication on my drop offs because most of the time even with audible indication i sit watching the rod tips for any signs of a pick up and 9 times out of 10 as soon as there is a pike taking the bait the drop off releases and sounds..... the other 1 out of 10 is when i see a couple of tiny bangs or twitches prior to proper indication (which is only seconds before a full blown indication).
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:35 pm

The only indication was an alarm

No drop offs were needed to see it.

Kell brought a fox drop off though and I can see how they can be set up in the right and wrong way. Vital that the hinge is at the bottom, I'd say. Very Happy

Andy

Andy Webster

View user profile http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:25 pm

hmmmm VERY interesting set up in that case mate.
as i've said before, i had problems with the gates on all settings no matter what i tried.... it just wouldnt release consistently enough for me to trust it.... i can see it being possible that the gates work better with rigid arm drop offs i.e. micron PS than they do on my micron P's (head attached and hanging on the wire rather than a rigid arm).
but anyway back to subject lol..... i can certainly see stephens thinking with the set up. Very Happy
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kell on Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:16 am

esoxjeff wrote:
adie1200 wrote:Well i was sceptical But after Steves demo i'm convinced about the minimum 3oz weight And will be giving it a bash on my next outing Very Happy

Adie

Got to agree Adie, it was a good demo,
perhaps not suitable in every instance, but steve has a vallied point.
Very Happy
what did you think kell

Dose not matter what i think jeff Very Happy
now that statement could be took in allsorts of ways if you take the smily away.

I only use large leads (get lots of lead and make my own hehehe ) will knock some up for next meeting as freebies hows that ?

but the sight thing really intrested me and steve will be getting a thourgh grilling lol

i know fox indicaters work and heavy leads work and i do not get drop backs just runs BUT sometimes i get a screaming run and a slack line on the strike this is with pike and other spiecies and due I BELIVE to the pike runing to me because the lead anchours untill i lift then i have to make up the line between me and it.if that makes sense.
the one thing no one can do is see a leadgered bait been took so with little leads the pike can be at your rod tip and you think it is still 20 yrds out.
Like i said a pike is not a wieght machine and I THINK it cannot tell if the piece of smelt is 4oz or 6oz it just sees the size and if it takes something and it feels heavey he just thinks he has a good meal.
jeff that did not look like tea will bring you a flask and slippers next time lol

what topic for next meeting
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top