PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greys prowla fledger boom.............

+7
robh107
greg
nickcarpy
tootall
Andy Webster
patch
Alex Makk
11 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Greys prowla fledger boom............. - Page 2 Empty Re: Greys prowla fledger boom.............

Post  adamscott Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Adie........I only carry 6 leads, the rest I leave in the car. When fishing mobile I have a different ruck sack, with the minimum in it and I also leave the chair behind and sit on the unhooking mat.

The more gear you carry the less likely you are to move swims on a regular basis.
adamscott
adamscott

Back to top Go down

Greys prowla fledger boom............. - Page 2 Empty Re: Greys prowla fledger boom.............

Post  adie1200 Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:03 pm

adamscott wrote:Adie........I only carry 6 leads, the rest I leave in the car. When fishing mobile I have a different ruck sack, with the minimum in it and I also leave the chair behind and sit on the unhooking mat.

The more gear you carry the less likely you are to move swims on a regular basis.
I know what you mean about carrying loads of gear Adam Very Happy

If i'm going to be moving about from peg to peg i take as little as i think i can get away with ( without putting the pike at risk that is Wink )

Nothing worse that lugging loads of tackle about that you probably wont even use lol Which is what most of us do most of the time Very Happy
I'm going to have to give the 4 & 6oz leads a go me thinks Very Happy
I'm always open to anything that might improve my piking skills ( or lack of them lol! lol! )

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  adamscott Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:09 pm

When I was younger used to carry everything Shocked Not anymore.....older and wiser Rolling Eyes I think.
adamscott
adamscott

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:45 pm

adie1200 wrote:
adamscott wrote:Adie........I only carry 6 leads, the rest I leave in the car. When fishing mobile I have a different ruck sack, with the minimum in it and I also leave the chair behind and sit on the unhooking mat.

I know what you mean about carrying loads of gear Adam Very Happy

If i'm going to be moving about from peg to peg i take as little as i think i can get away with ( without putting the pike at risk that is Wink )

Nothing worse that lugging loads of tackle about that you probably wont even use lol Which is what most of us do most of the time Very Happy
I'm going to have to give the 4 & 6oz leads a go me thinks Very Happy
I'm always open to anything that might improve my piking skills ( or lack of them lol! lol! )

Adie

thinking angler's i like that affraid
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:21 pm

yes adam when fishing trent ect do fish 6 oz leads,,,,,,question lads???do you get a better fight[differant subject to bite indication]from a fish you think fishing lighter leads or bigger leads???ie bigger leads tire fish out more or does it rile them up more dragging a bigger one abt??dont think this topic as come up before?
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:35 pm

nickcarpy wrote:yes adam when fishing trent ect do fish 6 oz leads,,,,,,question lads???do you get a better fight[differant subject to bite indication]from a fish you think fishing lighter leads or bigger leads???ie bigger leads tire fish out more or does it rile them up more dragging a bigger one abt??dont think this topic as come up before?

i would say the lighter the lead better the fight as a rule, but not allways Cool
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:54 pm

i would to..
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:39 pm

nickcarpy wrote:yes adam when fishing trent ect do fish 6 oz leads,,,,,,question lads???do you get a better fight[differant subject to bite indication]from a fish you think fishing lighter leads or bigger leads???ie bigger leads tire fish out more or does it rile them up more dragging a bigger one abt??dont think this topic as come up before?

VERY interesting question nick.... in theory i think i'll have to agree with jeff on this one.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:41 pm

also..... (just to fry your brains some more lol)...... how does the size of the lead affect the fish's ability to throw the hooks during the fight?? i'd imagine it has to have some effect Question Question scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:43 pm

robh107 wrote:also..... (just to fry your brains some more lol)...... how does the size of the lead affect the fish's ability to throw the hooks during the fight?? i'd imagine it has to have some effect Question Question scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch scratch

no comment . leave that to the geeks lol!
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:44 pm

well....................get back on that one
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  adamscott Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:49 am

Nick........I don't think that leads up to that weight have any affect on the fight of a Pike.

Robh......When using lures there can be some leverage affect against the hooks. I don't think this happens with leads of any weight.
adamscott
adamscott

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:33 pm

adamscott wrote:Nick........I don't think that leads up to that weight have any affect on the fight of a Pike.

Robh......When using lures there can be some leverage affect against the hooks. I don't think this happens with leads of any weight.

Rolling Eyes , you seem to be on a roll with your answers just now adam, is it the time of the month.
the leads will play a part in it, it being used as an anker after all. had to look at that again........................................................yip i did say anker Razz .

when your lure fishing adam are you useing braid or mono.. Very Happy Razz Razz
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:03 pm

greg wrote:
adamscott wrote:Nick........I don't think that leads up to that weight have any affect on the fight of a Pike.

Rolling Eyes , you seem to be on a roll with your answers just now adam, is it the time of the month.
the leads will play a part in it, it being used as an anker after all. had to look at that again........................................................yip i did say anker Razz .

a large weight on line must have an effect while playing a fish.
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:06 pm

esoxjeff wrote:
greg wrote:

this effect could be good or bad, for fish or angler, depending how you look at it, and also dependent on outcome of tussle.

lets get some input from a few other anglers expeiences before we draw conclusion.

this coul turn out to be a good subject of debate Very Happy
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:59 pm

esoxjeff wrote:
esoxjeff wrote:
greg wrote:

this effect could be good or bad, for fish or angler, depending how you look at it, and also dependent on outcome of tussle.

lets get some input from a few other anglers expeiences before we draw conclusion.

this coul turn out to be a good subject of debate Very Happy

lol i knew it would get you lot thinking.... in my experience i pull out of fewer fish when using light (1oz) leads than when i use 2oz plus. maybe its more than just when you're actually playing the fish... could it be that when you wind down after a run the greater weight dragging along the bottom as the line tightens somehow affects the way the hooks set?
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:06 pm

think you are right "Rob" Wink , i have experienced fish to weight, in total wrong angles when stiking, more so on quick takes, that run like a carp.
ie:fish one way, lead at a different angle, makes you wonder what can happen if a run is left unchecked Embarassed
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:11 pm

My own personal veiw is to use enough lead for perpouse, still waters 1 1/2oz, slow rivers 2 to 3oz lead, there,s not may fast rivers i fish,
but when i fish r.Trent for barbel (fast flow) i use 4 to 6oz.
it works for me, so i see no need to change(at present?) Cool
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:01 pm

here we go....rob i think opposite,know opposite mate.from my fishing i have a better hook rate from a bigger lead,ie bolt rig.but then depends on where iam fishing?i allways fish the safe leads rigs[the ones where leads can release under presure on 95%of my rigs.in open water leave the rig as shop bought but say snaggy areas cut it down so it release better,semi snag areas dont cut /trim it down.find this suits my fishing an not telling people to suck eggs ect.but i think if a fish is towing a 4oz lead about it wil get tired sooner?or make it more madder?give us your views guys please confused confused
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:08 pm

nickcarpy wrote:here we go....rob i think opposite,know opposite mate.from my fishing i have a better hook rate from a bigger lead,ie bolt rig.but then depends on where iam fishing?i allways fish the safe leads rigs[the ones where leads can release under presure on 95%of my rigs.in open water leave the rig as shop bought but say snaggy areas cut it down so it release better,semi snag areas dont cut /trim it down.find this suits my fishing an not telling people to suck eggs ect.but i think if a fish is towing a 4oz lead about it wil get tired sooner?or make it more madder?give us your views guys please confused confused

are you speaking about pike, useing safe leads rigs..
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:53 pm

if got a lead on,then ay fishing.carp,pike barbel ect..think better to ditch lead than lose a fish.
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:58 pm

nickcarpy wrote:if got a lead on,then ay fishing.carp,pike barbel ect..think better to ditch lead than lose a fish.

do you mean you bolt rig for pike??? i've never found a way to do that..... but i was talking free running rigs and winding down to strike the fish
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  greg Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:25 pm

nickcarpy wrote:if got a lead on,then ay fishing.carp,pike barbel ect..think better to ditch lead than lose a fish.

could you show us a photo of your setup nick. Very Happy
greg
greg

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:09 pm

will sort a photo out soon as get a chance Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:34 pm

Guys interesting until page 3...them I'm lost........... what i think you saying is Use only 2oz leads on still and 3oz on river?? I'm just not familiar with ledgering fer pike Rolling Eyes
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next