Fox drop off indicator set up

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fox drop off indicator set up Empty Fox drop off indicator set up

Post  Lefty on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:40 pm

There has been a lot of people saying that they cannot get the Fox arm (with the line gate) to work correctly. Some have modified theirs in order to work how they want them to.

Both Kell and Steve Abbot explained to me at last night's meeting how they should be set up in order to work correctly. It really is simple.

The line gate needs to be set in a way that the hinge part is at the bottom, is behind the spool slightly and nearly touching the spool. Oh yeah, open bail arm.

If set up this way, the only thing that can happen when line is pulled, is that the gate will open because it is being pulled forward.

I realise it can be difficult to visualise exactly what I mean so if you click on the link below you will see a video of Mick Brown explaining how to set it up correctly.

http://www.foxnewsletter.com/movies/product/psr/psr.html
Lefty
Lefty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Fox drop off indicator set up Empty Re: Fox drop off indicator set up

Post  robh107 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:19 am

the gate will open with a pull.... i agree there..... but mine would not open with any consistency with regard the amount of force it took even when set up as described and i felt that i was missing out on runs because of it.
thats why i modified mine with clips which release the line with the minimum amount of effort from a taking fish.
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:30 am

The way Kell showed us last night they can't fail to open And with the slightest of pulls !!
Your must have been faulty Rob Shocked
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:01 am

adie1200 wrote:The way Kell showed us last night they can't fail to open And with the slightest of pulls !!
Your must have been faulty Rob Shocked

yeah probably mate lol Very Happy
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman on Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:06 pm

I'm of the same opinion as Rob.

It's down to the force required. When they're set up on the bank and you give the line a tug they open smoothly but when your rig is out the force required seems different because they DO fail to open. Not all the time. But enough to matter.

I apprecaite everyone doing their best to convince us we may have our set ups wrong or maybe even faulty gates but I'm happy with my set up and there is no going back for me now Wink
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  deadbait on Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:14 pm

i cut mine up and fitted solar heads they work perfect now Very Happy
deadbait
deadbait

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Fox drop off indicator set up PICT0820

finally got some pics of my modifications!!! here's an outer shot to show just how i set mine up

Fox drop off indicator set up PICT0821

this ones a close up shot of the modified head.

i've been using them like this for the last year and the clips are set with just enough tension to hold, and yet as soon as a pike even looks at the bait the clip releases and the alarm sounds!!
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Mac on Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:59 pm

Used them as described today with the hinge mechanism on the bottom side. Worked perfectly, 2 runs, 2 fish
Marty Mac
Marty Mac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff on Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:03 pm

robh107 wrote:Fox drop off indicator set up PICT0820

finally got some pics of my modifications!!! here's an outer shot to show just how i set mine up

Fox drop off indicator set up PICT0821

this ones a close up shot of the modified head.

i've been using them like this for the last year and the clips are set with just enough tension to hold, and yet as soon as a pike even looks at the bait the clip releases and the alarm sounds!!

Very Happy nice work Rob Very Happy good pics well explained Very Happy
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  kell on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:39 am

nice mods rohb but remember the no nameing policy that weed on the left is a blinding give away lol!
kell
kell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman on Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:13 am

Nice mod Rob.
I was wondering how the finished item looked. Wink
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:46 am

I've been doing some research into the Fox drop off indicators.....

The original version was invented by a Mark Houghton (PAC member) who had a friend pass a couple on to Mick Brown. Browny was so impressed he asked if he could adapt the design for the Fox range.
He agreed but Mark has recently quoted on a forum that "unfortunately the Fox designs had too small a gate and the resistance free aspect was lost."
Mark has now decided to produce and sell his own version as he wanted them to be.
There has been a few adaptations since the 1st model but production is in full flow!
In fact on several occasions he has had to stop orders coming in so he could catch up!

And now you know! Razz
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:55 am

I too, have seen the info you've put on here nightwatchman. Was a very interesting read at the time. Wasn't he going to sell them for a fiver or summat?

One thing that I have noticed. Robh has the alarms with attached indicator that uses a wire. Could this be where his problems have arisen from?

As the pike takes the bait, it will take up any slack in the wire before pulling on the gate. Is this the reason why they fail to give a proper indication?

The ones that are on a rod are rigid so therefore any line movement will show straight away?

I could be wrong. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Lefty on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Lefty
Lefty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfie on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:49 pm

nightwatchman wrote:I've been doing some research into the Fox drop off indicators.....

The original version was invented by a Mark Houghton (PAC member) who had a friend pass a couple on to Mick Brown. Browny was so impressed he asked if he could adapt the design for the Fox range.
He agreed but Mark has recently quoted on a forum that "unfortunately the Fox designs had too small a gate and the resistance free aspect was lost."
Mark has now decided to produce and sell his own version as he wanted them to be.
There has been a few adaptations since the 1st model but production is in full flow!
In fact on several occasions he has had to stop orders coming in so he could catch up!

And now you know! Razz

im the friend that passed them onto mick brown another little known fact about the foxs ones when mick recieved his preproduction models they were spot on (his words not mine ) but the higher rarky that exists at fox decided to put stronger springs on the line gate for the production models so making them a pain in the rear end mark now sells his for 8 quid each
wolfie
wolfie

View user profile http://www.pikeforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:40 pm

lefty,
I'm not sure mate?
I've never used those alarms before but I'd imagine the wire coming from the alarm is made of a stiff material. it looks like there may be slack to take up but I think its that bendable stuff and the slightest movement will set off the alarm.

Wolfie.
I knew it was you mate but didn't want to say. lol Laughing
I think 8 quid is a bargain. I'm surprised he can keep up with production on his kitchen table! cheers
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Markhoughton on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi, Wolfie brought this thread to my attention. I did indeed pass the linegate idea onto Browny via him, and gave them my blessing to use it if they could. However, the Fox versions were restricted in that they had to use the same type of linegate as already used on their swingers to avoid retooling costs, and to keep the linegate dropoffs in line with the other indicators in their range. Although their linegates varied greatly from my own design, the early pre-production models did work very well , as Wolfie mentioned above (Browny tells me he`s still using his original Fox prototypes, which are 100% reliable). Mick to his credit, was actually able to devise a way to make them adjustable (by turning the linegate as previously mentioned on this thread). The problem came when it was decided to use stronger springs in the production models, to minimise the risk of them wearing out over time.
My original design (and the more recent improvements)work on the principle of upwards pressure on the line holding the gate closed (the dropoff is set slightly below horizontal to achieve this) in the set position, and upon a take, the indicator will rise smoothly and release the line as the arm nears horizontal. Resistance to a taking fish is minimal, and i`ve recently started selling a version with sliding weight on the arm to counter undertow/ currents while still retaining the resistance free operation.

Mark Houghton

Markhoughton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:44 pm

Hi Mark and welcome to the site mate Very Happy Very Happy

I can't find any faults in the fox ones Wink So if yours are better mate were do i get one from Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

View user profile http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:52 pm

Lefty wrote:One thing that I have noticed. Robh has the alarms with attached indicator that uses a wire. Could this be where his problems have arisen from?

As the pike takes the bait, it will take up any slack in the wire before pulling on the gate. Is this the reason why they fail to give a proper indication?

The ones that are on a rod are rigid so therefore any line movement will show straight away?

i'm sure i mentioned this as a potential cause for the problem in the donny pac meeting thread a few days ago but got no replies

scratch scratch
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Markhoughton on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:54 pm

Thanks for the welcome Adie Smile

If the Fox ones work ok for you and youre happy with em then theres no need to change mate. If you (or anyone else) wants further details of mine though then drop me a pm.

Mark Houghton

Markhoughton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:03 pm

nightwatchman wrote:lefty, I'm not sure mate?
I've never used those alarms before but I'd imagine the wire coming from the alarm is made of a stiff material. it looks like there may be slack to take up but I think its that bendable stuff and the slightest movement will set off the alarm.

the wire is quite a stiff type but it does have some flex in it.... as long as you set the head just off horizontal (pointed ever so slightly skywards) then the mercury switch (i assume its a mercury switch lol) in the head will register the slightest movement and set off the alarm (as soon as the head drops slightly making it horizontal or pointing more downwards). in that respect even in the original pre modded state when set properly the alarms are great and very sensitive.
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  nightwatchman on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:12 pm

Hi Mark,

And welcome to the Pike Anglers Forum.
Glad you could come along and put a post up to clarify a few things. Wink
nightwatchman
nightwatchman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Markhoughton on Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:58 pm

nightwatchman wrote:Hi Mark,

Thanks mate. Always better to hear it from the horses mouth Very Happy Very Happy

Markhoughton

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  wolfie on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:03 pm

Markhoughton wrote:
nightwatchman wrote:Hi Mark,

Thanks mate. Always better to hear it from the horses mouth Very Happy Very Happy

fame at last for ya mate hehehe
wolfie
wolfie

View user profile http://www.pikeforum.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty on Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:51 pm

robh107 wrote:
Lefty wrote:One thing that I have noticed. Robh has the alarms with attached indicator that uses a wire. Could this be where his problems have arisen from?

i'm sure i mentioned this as a potential cause for the problem in the donny pac meeting thread a few days ago but got no replies

scratch scratch

You did indeed Rob, I never saw it until you mentioned it and have been to see.

What do you think lads?
Lefty
Lefty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:32 am

well.... after messing around with alex's drop off indicator at the fish in yesterday i can confirm that my suspicion was correct, the line gate DOES require a rigid arm to work properly. i managed to get it to release with minimal resistance on about 5 or 6 consecutive pulls.
my advice to you guys would be that if you want to buy one of these indicators with the fox line gate make sure you steer clear of the micron 'p', and go for either the micron 'ps' or if fishing with a front end alarm then just buy the "drop arm indicator".

case closed!!

best regards robh107
robh107
robh107

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next