PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catching bait

+8
Alex Makk
Andy Webster
adie1200
robh107
alex wyness
deadbait
kell
tootall
12 posters

Go down

Catching bait Empty Catching bait

Post  tootall Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:39 am

Quick question - when catching livebait for pike/perch what do you use - full rod/reel set-up or a whip.
I use a whip because i find it light and compact, but often it restricts me in terms of reaching the fish etc so i'm thinking of changing to a lightweight rod/reel set up (recommendations please!)

Also with regards to the law - can you catch livebait, take them away from the water (to be put in a tank at home) and then take them back to that same water to fish with at a later date or do you have to use what you catch on the same day?

Cheers boys Cool
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Catching bait Empty Re: Catching bait

Post  kell Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:00 pm

i use a whip3 lashes usually dose it kinky little bliters they are Very Happy

i think it is ok to keep in tank if they are the only ones from same venue and are used on same venue.

i am trying to find a small tank at the minute for keeping some small fish in.
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:17 pm

kell wrote:i use a whip3 lashes usually dose it kinky little bliters they are Very Happy

i think it is ok to keep in tank if they are the only ones from same venue and are used on same venue.

i am trying to find a small tank at the minute for keeping some small fish in.

PM mate
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  deadbait Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:47 pm

cast net Very Happy
deadbait
deadbait

Back to top Go down

Post  alex wyness Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm

tootall wrote:Quick question - when catching livebait for pike/perch what do you use - full rod/reel set-up or a whip.
I use a whip because i find it light and compact, but often it restricts me in terms of reaching the fish etc so i'm thinking of changing to a lightweight rod/reel set up (recommendations please!)

Also with regards to the law - can you catch livebait, take them away from the water (to be put in a tank at home) and then take them back to that same water to fish with at a later date or do you have to use what you catch on the same day?

Cheers boys Cool
the law on this is if you catch livebaits from the fishery were they were caught the should be retained and used on the same day . using live baits on other waters in england wales you must first odtain section 30 concent . application form it takes about 10 days working days . it might take longer . if you live in scotland you cant use live bait . you can blame yvonne taylor from the ethical treatment of animals . dont put fish in a tank in your home or yvonne will be round burning you out your home . with a team of save the fish gang lol . i hope this helps you out lol! Question lol!

Last edited by alex wyness on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

alex wyness

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:50 pm

lol...i think i touched a raw scottish nerve there... Suspect oops Cool

Seriously though, thanks - big help. What a Face
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:54 pm

pm sent Very Happy
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:13 pm

i just fish shallow on a straight forward waggler set up mate.... either single maggot or double pinkie on a size 18 hook set at half depth and a very sensitive thin tipped float set that no more than 2mm is showing above the surface (any more than this may prove to be detrimental in terms of the resistance a feeding fish feels). shot should be strung out along the last 3rd of the rig terminating in a no.8 or 6 about 6" from the hook.
line should be 4lb mainline and a 3lbish trace just incase you do hook a better fish.
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:17 pm

robh107 wrote:i just fish shallow on a straight forward waggler set up mate.... either single maggot or double pinkie on a size 18 hook set at half depth and a very sensitive thin tipped float set that no more than 2mm is showing above the surface (any more than this may prove to be detrimental in terms of the resistance a feeding fish feels). shot should be strung out along the last 3rd of the rig terminating in a no.8 or 6 about 6" from the hook.
line should be 4lb mainline and a 3lbish trace just incase you do hook a better fish.

I agree with most of that Rob apart from i use maximum 3lb line and 1-1.5lb hook length to size 20 - 22 hooks i find a size 18 a bit big for one maggot !

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:36 pm

cheers lads for your input - i know how to catch 'em - i was more interested in finding out if people generally used a whip or rod and line Wink Laughing
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:03 pm

Hi Tootall

I haven't fished for livebait for quite a while, but when I did, I had a whip for the job. I went for the whip to keep extra tackle to a minimum.

Alex is correct about the movement of fish. This subject has been covered in the magazines many times. I have read that anglers who catch livebaits from a river or drain etc, and then move to another stretch or a tributary and use those livebaits, will be breaking the law. Taking the baits home is a big no no.

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:40 pm

adie1200 wrote:
robh107 wrote:i just fish shallow on a straight forward waggler set up mate.... either single maggot or double pinkie on a size 18 hook set at half depth and a very sensitive thin tipped float set that no more than 2mm is showing above the surface (any more than this may prove to be detrimental in terms of the resistance a feeding fish feels). shot should be strung out along the last 3rd of the rig terminating in a no.8 or 6 about 6" from the hook.

I agree with most of that Rob apart from i use maximum 3lb line and 1-1.5lb hook length to size 20 - 22 hooks i find a size 18 a bit big for one maggot !

Adie

tbh mate i dont think theres any need to go that fine with modern hooklinks..... they're thin enough anyway Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:46 pm

i am waggler at summer i use 6lb mainline followed by 4lb hook length with size 18 hook on double maggot..............i find works a treat....
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:55 pm

MrMakk wrote:i am waggler at summer i use 6lb mainline followed by 4lb hook length with size 18 hook on double maggot..............i find works a treat....
you will get away with that rig in summer but try that in the depths of winter mate you wont get a sniff.
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:57 pm

MrMakk wrote:i am waggler at summer i use 6lb mainline followed by 4lb hook length with size 18 hook on double maggot..............i find works a treat....

Try going a bit finer and i bet your catch rate goes up Wink
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:59 pm

robh107 wrote:
adie1200 wrote:

Adie

tbh mate i dont think theres any need to go that fine with modern hooklinks..... they're thin enough anyway Very Happy

I'm sure you will catch with size 18 hooks and heavy hook links rob But you will catch more if you fine it down a bit more Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Adie
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:08 pm

2lb line 1.1 hook length punch bread or casters Shocked
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  onetoner Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:19 pm

i prefer to use the " let my mate catch lives for me method lol" cause thats whaat he does best anywhere we go hes a demon at finding the bait fish and getting them almost 1 a cast,,, and for taking them home hmmmmmmmmmm being scottish you wont find a 4 foot bait tank in my shed that will never have any roach in it ,,,,, or a dozen roach in my mates ornamental pond keeping his koi company that hes came attached to and wont give me back ,,,,,, MICK I WANT THOSE FISH,,,, i know down south you guys need to get fish moving permission n stuff from trhe e.a. but up here we dont have that because no true pike angler would ever use a live fish since its been banned , cough cough... no i cant even say that with a straight face pike are hunters and love fish in destress and i will always use lives on every occasion that i need to/// as long as its done responsibly there isnt a problem
onetoner
onetoner

Back to top Go down

Post  patch Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:41 pm

onetoner wrote:i prefer to use the " let my mate catch lives for me method lol" cause thats whaat he does best anywhere we go hes a demon at finding the bait fish and getting them almost 1 a cast,,, and for taking them home hmmmmmmmmmm being scottish you wont find a 4 foot bait tank in my shed that will never have any roach in it ,,,,, or a dozen roach in my mates ornamental pond keeping his koi company that hes came attached to and wont give me back ,,,,,, MICK I WANT THOSE FISH,,,, i know down south you guys need to get fish moving permission n stuff from trhe e.a. but up here we dont have that because no true pike angler would ever use a live fish since its been banned , cough cough... no i cant even say that with a straight face pike are hunters and love fish in destress and i will always use lives on every occasion that i need to/// as long as its done responsibly there isnt a problem

well said that mate Cool
patch
patch

Back to top Go down

Post  stevecrm Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:54 pm

I dont bother catching livebait with my track record at fishing, it would take me 3 days to catch a roach or perch geek

I am better off nipping to tescos for mackeral instead lol!
stevecrm
stevecrm

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down