Signs of spawning?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Signs of spawning? - Page 2 Empty Re: Signs of spawning?

Post  stubbo on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:32 pm

paddy pike wrote:Very Happy Very Happy I was wondering if this cold snap would affect the spawning, As the water tempriture must be dropping Shocked Very Happy Very Happy
would you stop if some one turned the centrel heating off...... Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:40 pm

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy OHHHHH NOOOOO Shocked Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

View user profile http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  craftycockney on Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:20 am

the good news the big girls have finnally finished spawning Very Happy its took weeks to get it all over with, as they don't all spawn at the same time, Rolling Eyes walked right round the margins yesterday and they have all moved on, it did mess the carp lads carp fishing up over the easter break, as we had a lot of them in the margins on the far bank,
so they did'nt know to to cast too Rolling Eyes did see a couple stratching their balls thinking Laughing .
bas................. Cool

craftycockney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:27 pm

Very Happy Very Happy essox_lucius1 & Esox Fever stated it depends were you are and the tempriture, Well in the North West of England things seem to be two weeks behind the south of england, As it has begun to warm up in this area there are a lot more fish spawning and cleaning off, So what i thought was fish spawning a couple of weeks ago, Well it may not have been that at all, On a couple of the local club waters thing have just started to liven up, Even the bream are covered with small nodules, So this is a sure sign of spawning, Very Happy Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  craftycockney on Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:03 am

may be longer than 2 weeks behind mate!! we are running about 4/5 weeks behind, the pike are normally the first to spawn, in late feb early march, but they are very late, the perch spawned weeks before them.
the daffs have finnally bloomed Rolling Eyes and the tree's are now getting buds on, spring has arrived at cellars a good 4 - 6 weeks late.
bas............... Cool

craftycockney

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:40 am

Pike in the UK supposedly spawn when the water sustains a consistent 6 degrees C. That's what I was led to believe. They won't have spawned up here yet. That's for sure.

....Andy....
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:01 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Pike in the UK supposedly spawn when the water sustains a consistent 6 degrees C. That's what I was led to believe. They won't have spawned up here yet. That's for sure.

....Andy....

Very Happy Shocked Getting alsorts of different times for spawning now, From down South to up North, Its amazing that over a short distance of about 600miles the weather is very different, My daughter who lives in ayrshire was saying it was just starting to warm up, So i think once the tempriture is steady the pike will be out to play Shocked Very Happy Very Happy ,
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Wed Apr 14, 2010 2:59 pm

Yea, we had nearly 5 months of snow and freezing conditions and it's really only just broken it's grip. There was still driving snow causing chaos on the roads round Lanarkshire only last week. I think the pike will be spawning very late this year. Most of the waters I fish, are surrounded by white mountains with glacial run-off, so you might be able to enjoy a bit of T-Shirt pike fishing at last but I can assure you it'll take a good month for the water temp. to come up.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:05 pm

Very Happy Very Happy I see what you are saying Andy, As the snow and ice starts to thaw, The cooler waters running into the main waters that you fish, Tempritures will be held down by these run off's, God it could stay as cold as ice for months, You need a good couple of red hot weeks to clear it all, And get things back on par Shocked Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:34 pm

Its grim up north, Paddy...especially above Moffat & Dumfries. Razz Razz lol!

Bazz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike on Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:48 pm

Bazz wrote:Its grim up north, Paddy...especially above Moffat & Dumfries. Razz Razz lol!
Very Happy Very Happy Thanks Bazz, I dont think i will be going up there just yet though, Mind you i like sea fishing in Saltcoats By the bay, Better when the weather is at its worst, Very Happy Shocked
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  DAN27 on Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:47 pm

Went out for a short lure session on a small secret water today and the water was gin clear. After a short time I clocked a pike coming out of the weeds showing a little interest in my plug but it gave up as it neared the bank.

After another few casts I saw it again and it followed it slowly for a while then turned away again. The same thing happen when I moved further up the bank and they just didn't seem to want it.

I made a number of changes of lures/spinners, and then decided to move to a spot for a few final casts. Just as I was about to make a cast I looked down and clocked 2x 4lbish fish riding astride of a larger 10lb pike = Time to stop fishing!!!!!

So they have started here in Fife and it's time to rest the rods.
DAN27
DAN27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:14 pm

Underwater video footage has shown that large female pike are often accompanied by numbers of smaller male pike throughout the year. Remember that pike don't eat nearly as much as was once thought (between 3 and 7 times their own bodyweight per year), so it's not just around spawning time that large females will tolerate the presence of jacks.

What you saw isn't necessarily an indication of active breeding. They probably are gearing up for the big orgy mind you. Get a thermometer and take the water temp. at a depths roughly between 18" and 3 feet and see what the results are. I'm pretty sure you're still a few weeks away just yet, although you could be right. I don't know the water or how it's fed. For instance, some waters are topped up by underground springs, which could bring the temp. up suitably.

Still, it's very interesting activity to watch and rare, especially in Scotland, where water clarity isn't always so good. You were quite lucky. Many Scottish waters are very peat stained and it's hard to see much of anything at times, even with the best light conditions and polaroids.

....Andy.... geek
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2