topwaters need ten characters

View previous topic View next topic Go down

topwaters need ten characters

Post  noodle on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:52 pm

topwaters

with all the various types from doggers (hmphh hmphh) sorry walk the dog types to crawlers and prop things

any views on em

ive only ever caught one pike on them and that was on a topwater (ace medic i think) that had sunk a few inches below the surface, and seeing as i have about two boxes full of the things form american hardwoods dunwright pete mania bucher poes fox daiwa.....

any suggestions.

main reason for asking is ive just bought a few rather expensive ones form the land of the rising sun imakatsu husky hasuzzy and the smaller confunazzy along with a daiwa dead or alive

and i want to catch on em
noodle

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: topwaters need ten characters

Post  tootall on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:33 am

I love them - my fave lures TBH - tend only to use them in spring/summer though.

Rapala Skitter Pop
Heddon Crazy Crawler
XPS Poppers
Heddon Lucky 13 Poppers...
all have worked a treat for me, but if i had to choose only one, my best ever surface lure would have to be the Arboghast Hulla popper Very Happy Tiny little things that don't cast a great distance, but worked along marginal weed and lillys in summer they have nearly always produced for me...I am actually needing to order another one as i lost the last one i had last summer. Mad

You'll notice they are all poppers by the way - not a fan of other topwater lures - i think the poppers just add that extra attraction even in deep water...although i would give the DOA a go Very Happy
tootall

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle on Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:43 pm

tootall wrote:I love them - my fave lures TBH - tend only to use them in spring/summer though.

Rapala Skitter Pop
Heddon Crazy Crawler
XPS Poppers
Heddon Lucky 13 Poppers...
all have worked a treat for me, but if i had to choose only one, my best ever surface lure would have to be the Arboghast Hulla popper Very Happy Tiny little things that don't cast a great distance, but worked along marginal weed and lillys in summer they have nearly always produced for me...I am actually needing to order another one as i lost the last one i had last summer. Mad

You'll notice they are all poppers by the way - not a fan of other topwater lures - i think the poppers just add that extra attraction even in deep water...although i would give the DOA a go Very Happy

problem with those you listed though are they are all a little small to chuck on jerkbait gear

not that i dont use lighter stuff as ive a few of those knocking around in the little lures boxes i have

cheers though, dont have any big poppers off to try and find some
noodle

View user profile http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane on Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:23 pm

Noodle, the thing I've noticed with topwaters is to try and fish them fairly slowly, unlike glidebaits of the usual choppy Slider, Ace Sweet 66 variety. A tap here and a tap there with the odd darting straight pull. Don't be in a hurry to get it doing anything fancy or repetitive.

Poppers are good fun mind you.
Andy Macfarlane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  esox lee on Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:26 am

heddon lucky 13 + moss boss black yellow and green + zara spook
cordel pencil popper
arbogast jitterbug large or jointed + hula pop + sputterbuzz
storm chugbug
yo zuri mag popper
spro bronzeeye frog
rebel pop r
creek chub nuckle head + striper strike
lymans 4 to 6" in dark colours
zalt lure fished very slow

more than 10 but that would be my topwater box on any day.

esox lee

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top