PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

line colour

+8
Andy Webster
noodle
Lefty
robh107
nickcarpy
Esox Fever
patch
essox_lucius1
12 posters

Go down

line colour Empty line colour

Post  essox_lucius1 Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:51 pm

preferences ? do you have any or do you think it makes no differance its something i have been toying with are there any colours that are invisable to fish indeed is flurocarbon your thoughts ?
essox_lucius1
essox_lucius1

Back to top Go down

line colour Empty Re: line colour

Post  patch Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:58 pm

yhe i think flurocarbon is definatly best for being most invisable in water and it
sinks better than monofilament! but i tend ta go for a lightish brown main line colour Cool
patch
patch

Back to top Go down

Post  Esox Fever Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:47 am

I always use braided lines for pike, Power Pro to be exact, and my color choice is always the moss-green. But i have to say that i choose that color because I like it more than the red or yellow, not thinking if pike is gonna see it. Using the fluorocarbon leader that´s something that don´t worry to me anymore.
Esox Fever
Esox Fever

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:36 pm

at one time on main page there was a colour char on line,anyway it shown from test which was the best colours in differant dephts ect.maybe ady can put a link up to it for those who missed it? Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 pm

brown or green for me... something that mimicks the colour of the bottom so it is less obvious to more wary fish
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:14 pm

I never used to give it any thought until that report came out a couple of years ago when they said that red line is best to use as red is the first colour of the spectrum to become 'invisible' in water.

If that's the case then why is red maggot so succesful? Why is red added as a colour to LOTS of lures? Why is a piece of red wool added to spinners when targeting perch? I don't think they quite got that right do you?

Anyway, it was round about then that I thought about line colour and settled on green. My preference now is for brown so as to blend in with the bottom more.

I recently tried camouflaged line but on the first session of using it had three snap offs whilst targeting carp. Admittedly the water is quite snaggy where I went but this made me think if the colouring process weakens the line? But if that was the case then how come 'solid' coloured line doesn't do the same so have settled on the fact that I was probably unfortunate to get on a snag (definitely on the first occasion) and then abrasion got the better of the line on the next two times.

I too use Power Pro braid in the Moss Green colour simply because I don't like the red, yellow or white. I personally think they will be too visible to the fish.
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:45 pm

i use braids in all sorts of colours red green grey blue yellow, and it has never made the blindest bit of difference to me or the fish.

i used to use bright yellow mono for pike in gin clear water and it never bothered the pike or carp.

for the carpers out there who have been around for a while, was it tim paisley who used to use high viz leads?
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:57 am

The article was called "Colours Under Water" by Uli Beyer and it is on esox hunter website. It is an excellent article.

http://www.esoxhunter.com/ColorsInWater.php

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:51 pm

it is now on home page lads if you want to read it an then say what you think lads,good reading Very Happy thanks andy for putting it back up for those who never saw it Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:53 pm

i've just read the article and something clicked from my memory..... when wreck fishing (normally in anywhere upto 220ft of water) i use a silver/dull lead coloured pirk with a fluorescent pink/orange/yellow muppet above it, and most of the fish i get come on the muppet instead of the pirk!!!
methinks i'm going to take a can of fluorescent spray paint to some of my pirks to see what difference it makes but the theory does tally with both my results and what i've just read Very Happy
might even try experimenting with a few of my plugs Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sat May 01, 2010 2:01 pm

Line colour makes no difference to pike. I've used red, moss-green, white and Hi-Viz braid when lure fishing and I still use Hi-Viz yellow Daiwa Tournament Mono and I've banked 100s of pike on it.

That's with red hooks, black snap-links, green, brown, silver wires, all colours of weights and baits and the pike don't care a jot.

If it smells and looks like a fish, it'll probably taste like a fish and few bits of tackle in the road are neither here nor there.

It's not roach fishing.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri May 07, 2010 8:31 pm

too true andy pike are only looking at a easy meal ........ and keep it simple as in rigs Smile
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

line colour Empty Line Colour - Does it Make a Difference?

Post  norfolk pikeman Sat May 08, 2010 2:55 pm

Interesting reading the post's on this subject, many years ago I used to use Abu Fluro in bright, and I mean bright, yellow for both bait and lure fishing, the Norfolk Pike didn't seem to mind it. These days it's all braid, usually Power Pro both in moss green and the new red colours, considering most of my piking is done in water less than 5 feet deep neither colour seem to put the fish off, makes me think sometimes though when I've got baits out with customers in crystal clear water and the line, particuarly the red, shows up pretty well to us on the boat but the Pike seem to ignore it and take quite confidentaly. Red does dissapear first in the spectrum but I understand that this is generally applicable to water thats over 20 feet in depth, camo and flurocarbon lines definetly blend in well but unless your guaranteed that the lines are on the bottom tight then the particles in the water settle on these lines, as they do on all others, and then the lines show up like rope anyway, plus as the Korda videos show it depends on where you view the lines from as diffferent viewing angles refract the light differently. Sometimes I wonder as anglers if we worry to much and think that our quarry will see exactly what we do rather than what they actually see!!
norfolk pikeman
norfolk pikeman

http://www.predator-people.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sat May 08, 2010 11:20 pm

you know what started me worrying about my methods?? YOU LOT LMAO.... not saying that all our debates and ideas havent affected/improved my thinking on certain subjects but i have noticed alot more debate with myself when fishing about whether everything is set right or if i could be doing anything to improve presentation.... so i think i NOW spend too much time worrying when i never used to Embarassed
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Sat May 08, 2010 11:25 pm

robh107 wrote:you know what started me worrying about my methods?? YOU LOT LMAO.... not saying that all our debates and ideas havent affected/improved my thinking on certain subjects but i have noticed alot more debate with myself when fishing about whether everything is set right or if i could be doing anything to improve presentation.... so i think i NOW spend too much time worrying when i never used to Embarassed
Shocked I went through this sort of phase myself Shocked , You have got to go back to basics Shocked , Its the only way to save your sanity Shocked Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Sun May 09, 2010 4:50 pm

paddy pike wrote:
robh107 wrote:you know what started me worrying about my methods?? YOU LOT LMAO.... not saying that all our debates and ideas havent affected/improved my thinking on certain subjects but i have noticed alot more debate with myself when fishing about whether everything is set right or if i could be doing anything to improve presentation.... so i think i NOW spend too much time worrying when i never used to Embarassed
Shocked I went through this sort of phase myself Shocked , You have got to go back to basics Shocked , Its the only way to save your sanity Shocked Very Happy

i think its way too late for that Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation lol! lol! lol! lol! afro
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Sun May 09, 2010 10:47 pm

I think we all need to take a step backwards before we can get going forwards again, It always helps me, Puts everything back into perspective,
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon May 10, 2010 8:58 pm

Lefty wrote:I never used to give it any thought until that report came out a couple of years ago when they said that red line is best to use as red is the first colour of the spectrum to become 'invisible' in water.

If that's the case then why is red maggot so succesful? Why is red added as a colour to LOTS of lures? Why is a piece of red wool added to spinners when targeting perch? I don't think they quite got that right do you?

Anyway, it was round about then that I thought about line colour and settled on green. My preference now is for brown so as to blend in with the bottom more.

I recently tried camouflaged line but on the first session of using it had three snap offs whilst targeting carp. Admittedly the water is quite snaggy where I went but this made me think if the colouring process weakens the line? But if that was the case then how come 'solid' coloured line doesn't do the same so have settled on the fact that I was probably unfortunate to get on a snag (definitely on the first occasion) and then abrasion got the better of the line on the next two times.your rightr about the camo line mate tried it once it kept snapping even when connecting a swivel even took it back to the shop swapt it for another still kept snapping dont rely on that camo line it was 15lb bs

I too use Power Pro braid in the Moss Green colour simply because I don't like the red, yellow or white. I personally think they will be too visible to the fish.
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon May 10, 2010 10:07 pm

Line colour only matters to spooky fish. Pike aren't that spooked by much so the colour of line doesn't matter a jot.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu May 13, 2010 9:07 pm

think your right on that one andy Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content