PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

River piking...

4 posters

Go down

River piking... Empty River piking...

Post  daveb Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:05 pm

Anyone do much river piking? I've done a fair bit on the upper/middle Severn over the past few years - what's your experience of river piking... Question

Dave
daveb
daveb

Back to top Go down

River piking... Empty Re: River piking...

Post  Guest Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:16 pm

I've done a fair bit on a variety of Rivers. I won't name them here, but they really are all individual. What do you mean by 'whats your experience' as in what works?

Last edited by AndyOBrien. on Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post  daveb Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:44 pm

What do you mean by 'whats your experience' as in what works?

Yeah, what methods do you use, what kind of success rate, deads or livies, lures etc. Just a general musing really...

Regarding naming rivers (!!) I'm sure it's not a huge issue as the Severn is the longest in the UK and I stated that I fished the upper and the middle reaches which narrows it down to about 70 odd miles worth...Don't think I'm giving too much away there matey Wink Lol
daveb
daveb

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:10 pm

Firstly you have to be 'open minded' as to what works on a certain river, and with the changing conditions ie rain fall, tide influence etc, what works one day may not work the next, like I said you have to be 'open minded' Dave and find out what works for you on the rivers you fish.

Secondly, I was not comenting on you naming rivers I just simply said that I wouldn't name the ones I've fished.

Back to top Go down

River piking... Empty river piking

Post  Piker_Geoff Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:25 am

one of the most exciting forms of the piking sport you can get into,
ive fished all over the durham and yorkshire area,with yorkshire coming out on top by far,it is suprising just how close in you can fish while river piking,i may be in the minority but i have found that sea baits dont do so well on yorkshire rivers,ive fished grayling on the wharfe to great success,but i have fished sprats at boroughbridge on the ur to some degree,but catching my best for me on the ure using smelt,suprisingly during a snow storm and rising river,
but id really like to find a good reservoir in yorkshire to crack
Geoff

Piker_Geoff

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Piker_Geoff wrote:it is suprising just how close in you can fish while river piking

I agree with that Geoff. The closer you can get a bait to your own bank, especially on a reed bed, the more likely you will catch.

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  jimlad Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:20 pm

Couldn't agree more with you. All my river pike are caught within two foot of the near bank. I tend to use roving tactics, going from one swim to another and spending 20 mins in each, fishing likely looking spots. Undercut banks, overhanging trees, areas of slack water, creases etc. I fish the Tees / Swale / Ure and would say the Smelt & Roach are the bait par excellence! I've had takes on mackerel tail and herring as well, but you tend to get a more immediate response with he others.
jimlad
jimlad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down