PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GLOVES for pikeing

+10
Pikey_Mike
tootall
stubbo
esoxjeff
adie1200
Hunter
Andy Macfarlane
noodle
kell
mollski
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

GLOVES for pikeing Empty GLOVES for pikeing

Post  mollski Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:15 am

Did you or have you used gloves when you first started pike fishing? if so what sort did you use please,i just fancy starting with a pair untill ive got used to handleing the fish, Embarassed
mollski
mollski

Back to top Go down

GLOVES for pikeing Empty Re: GLOVES for pikeing

Post  kell Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:13 am

I would go with someone untill you have seen and chined a pike. You can easily damage a pike with a glove on .and your bare hand slides into a groove as if it was put there for you when done correctly. Very Happy
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:59 am

i use a glove and im hardly a beginner

for me its the lindy fish handler used to hand land pike when lure fishing normally only of its an iffy hook up

it is about 20 quid or so for one hand, there are other gloves though the best of the rest seems to be the musky armour glove i think its called, i only know of one uk stockist of these though and that is chicos lures (not trying to promote him here it genuinly is the only place that has them i know of) these come as a pair and are not hook resistant like the lindy, they are aimed more at handlin pike in general so would probably be a better bet for you

ones to avoid though are the normark ones or any of the similar chain mail style of gloves chain mail or knitted styles are nothing more than a series of holes for hooks to poke through, grdening gloves are far to heavy to be much use as you loose so much dexterity.e

maybe there is a glolf shop or bike shop nearby? try a few from those some mtb gloves may well be useable as a short term measure
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:09 pm

Initially I agree with Kell but I can see where Noodle is coming from when lure fishing. When you see a pair of 4/0s in an awkward hookup and the fish is crocodile rolling beside a rocking boat, on a choppy loch, a glove doesn't seem like to bad an idea actually...lol.

I've never used a glove in my life and I'd agree that for general fishing, you go along with Kell's advice and simply learn how to do it right from the off. Pike just look scary. In reality, they're well beaten by gravity and a good chin grip has them well under control.

If you intend to do a lot of lure fishing, a glove might be a good idea for the reasons I mentioned.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Hunter Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:14 pm

Each to there own really but I found it much easier to learn with bare hands as I could feel exactly where I was suppose to be putting my fingers. I just get the feeling I'm more in control and less likely to hurt the fish with bare hands as I can feel exactly where my fingers are going

Hunter

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:15 pm

Exactly mate.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  kell Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:25 pm

i was just thinking that if you have to ask about a glove while you are learning then someone showing how easy it is without a glove is far better.
I think once you know the correct way useing a glove would have some advantages as you say noodle .
personally i would rather do anything than net them purely because of trebles hanging and sure as eggs are eggs it will spin in net and can be a nightmare to get out and back in water quick enough.? Very Happy
kell
kell

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:32 pm

Same for me. I couldn't honestly tell you the last time I used a net. More bother than their worth and I've seen more than a couple in absolute tatters.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Never used a glove as long as i've been fishing and would rather chin them But i always have a net just incase Wink
you never know when you might just get in a situation were you can't chin them Wink Smile
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:52 pm

I'd only use a net now for river pike fishing. Otherwise I get in the water with my waders on and chin them. Also a good idea to take your unhooking pliers in your waders BTW. Saves carrying jacks and wee dubs back to the bank for no reason.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  mollski Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:54 pm

OK thanks guys will do my best to go with somebody first Shocked
mollski
mollski

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:56 pm

[quote="mollski"]OK thanks guys will do my best to go with somebody first Shocked [/quotsome good tips there Mollski, choose wiselly, and learn confidence. Very Happy

if YOU feel a glove will help, so be it, as mentioned gloves can damage,
a good compromise would be to use a tight fitting marigold this will give you feel and offer a little protection,
use for a couple of fish and you will soon gain confidence in not using one. Very Happy
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:38 pm

mollski wrote:Did you or have you used gloves when you first started pike fishing? if so what sort did you use please,i just fancy starting with a pair untill ive got used to handleing the fish, Embarassed
i know it might sound daft try find a water with plenty of small jacks in so theres less of a hand full to thrash about mate .I know sometimes you cant be selective in pike fishing but it will give you confidence in unhooking the smaller fish knowing that you probably will catch a 30lb fish on a sprat first go Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:47 pm

stubbo wrote:
mollski wrote:Did you or have you used gloves when you first started pike fishing? if so what sort did you use please,i just fancy starting with a pair untill ive got used to handleing the fish, Embarassed
i know it might sound daft try find a water with plenty of small jacks in so theres less of a hand full to thrash about mate .I know sometimes you cant be selective in pike fishing but it will give you confidence in unhooking the smaller fish knowing that you probably will catch a 30lb fish on a sprat first go Very Happy

sound advice Very Happy
i took a lad fishing, he only ever caught a pike of 1lb,his second pike he caught a 25lb. Very Happy so you just never know whats lurking.
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:09 pm

too true mate Shocked
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:12 am

Sorry but I would disagree with that. I think jacks are far more frisky and you're more likely to suffer raker rash, because there's less room to move about under the gills. I find the bigger girls far easier to cope with.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:42 am

i have to agree (maybe its cause i have huge hands lol) but i find it a heck of a lot easier handling larger pike than jacks...just a shame i don't catch them as often Smile Laughing

Last edited by tootall on Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikey_Mike Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:24 pm

Never used a glove myself, much prefer to feel where my hands are, even if it means bleeding a bit.

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Mick Cobb Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:34 pm

noodle wrote:i use a glove and im hardly a beginner

for me its the lindy fish handler used to hand land pike when lure fishing normally only of its an iffy hook up

it is about 20 quid or so for one hand, there are other gloves though the best of the rest seems to be the musky armour glove i think its called, i only know of one uk stockist of these though and that is chicos lures (not trying to promote him here it genuinly is the only place that has them i know of) these come as a pair and are not hook resistant like the lindy, they are aimed more at handlin pike in general so would probably be a better bet for you

ones to avoid though are the normark ones or any of the similar chain mail style of gloves chain mail or knitted styles are nothing more than a series of holes for hooks to poke through, grdening gloves are far to heavy to be much use as you loose so much dexterity.e

maybe there is a glolf shop or bike shop nearby? try a few from those some mtb gloves may well be useable as a short term measure

I won a pair of Musky Armour in a PAC raffle 2yrs ago,wished I'd got them years ago would have saved me many pints of blood,you can feel with them,they are not hook friendly,but are gill raker friendly..find a mate opposite handed to yourself and split the price of a pair which are about £12. Smile

Mick Cobb

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:57 pm

there is a new one on the market and im not endorsing it in any way as i havnt even seen it outside of the packet

but fox rage and google may be worth a go
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mollski Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:49 pm

OK thanks guys my first pikeing trip sunday and no gloves yet,may take mry mtb glove incase i get a 30lb Very Happy
mollski
mollski

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:57 pm

mollski wrote:OK thanks guys my first pikeing trip sunday and no gloves yet,may take mry mtb glove incase i get a 30lb Very Happy
never joke about it...it can happen Very Happy
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  mollski Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:59 pm

im counting the hours down,we are forecast rain but im out what ever ,im like a kid on xmas eve Very Happy cheers
mollski
mollski

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:01 pm

Hi Mollski
have you found any pikers in your area yet who could give you that start at handling pike , hands on approach with a good tutor could save you hours of worry.
ask around someone will help you get started, it's in there interest too Very Happy
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  mollski Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:03 pm

ive got a guy takeing me tomorrow he always goes for pike said he will show me the basics,thank you
mollski
mollski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next