PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

NEED HELP - Monofilament line & HOOKS/TREBLES size.

+5
esoxjeff
tootall
Alex Makk
Pikey_Mike
n.d.r.
9 posters

Go down

NEED HELP - Monofilament line & HOOKS/TREBLES size. Empty NEED HELP - Monofilament line & HOOKS/TREBLES size.

Post  n.d.r. Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:01 am

Hello gents,

First, I want to wish you wish you and your family a fantastic year 2011 and HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

I have for you 2 question:
1. MONOFILAMENT Big Game GOLD CARP by Berkley (0,32mm - 15lb) its ok for PIKE FISHING with dead/live bait? Its good?
I see on my city another line: Korda Adrena-Line (15 lb) or Fox Steel Camo.

2. What size of trebles you use? My size is: #4 & #6

I wait quickly youre answers. Thank you Very Happy
n.d.r.
n.d.r.

Back to top Go down

NEED HELP - Monofilament line & HOOKS/TREBLES size. Empty Re: NEED HELP - Monofilament line & HOOKS/TREBLES size.

Post  Pikey_Mike Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:20 pm

15lb+ is the way to go, just make sure to use a wire trace, as for the trebles, a size 4 is a big hook for trebles, maybe a size 6 is better.

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

NEED HELP - Monofilament line & HOOKS/TREBLES size. Empty Re: NEED HELP - Monofilament line & HOOKS/TREBLES size.

Post  Alex Makk Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:21 pm

line should be ok, never used berkley line, but seems to have a good reputation,
but as stated, use a wire trace,

as for trebels, ever considered using #8's for the smaller baits,

Last edited by MrMakk on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  n.d.r. Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:48 pm

MrMakk, what mono-line use? If is not a secret Smile

Yes, I know mates, size #6 is more good than #4. But if I put one 8-10cm crucian in? Its ok size #6?
n.d.r.
n.d.r.

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:50 pm

currently got ultima F1 mono on my reels,
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  n.d.r. Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:54 pm

MrMakk, I use F1 in the lost 3-4 years. Is very good line, in my opinion Smile Thank you for answer mate bounce
n.d.r.
n.d.r.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikey_Mike Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:19 pm

I use 18lb mono, the water I fish has some real big momma's so it's justified as far as I'm concerned.
Got smashed up on 15lb once, I saw the fish before it bolted and broke me, was easy late 20's, maybe even mid 30, hard to say when they in the water, was deffo bigger than my pb (23lb 8oz).

EDIT: Was really strange with this fish, it seemed it didn't know what was happening and I thought I had it beat, it saw me when I had it almost landed then went ape and bolted off.....broke my 15lb mainline.

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

NEED HELP - Monofilament line & HOOKS/TREBLES size. Empty Wow

Post  n.d.r. Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:27 pm

Very nice Mike, maybe it was a good but unhappy drill Smile I like all pikes, from any size. For me, PIKE, is FRESHWATERS LADY Smile

Big Game GOLD tone, its ok for pike? I want to try it, if it is ok. I use now F1 (Ultima) and Fox Soft Steel Camo.

P.S. You know some, about zander fishing methods?
n.d.r.
n.d.r.

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikey_Mike Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:35 pm

I've tried for Zander before but only caught Pike, i've never actually managed to catch a Zander.

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:30 pm

Pikey_Mike wrote:I've tried for Zander before but only caught Pike, i've never actually managed to catch a Zander.

Me too mate Laughing
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  esoxjeff Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:01 pm

i use scaled down pike rigs, but simular methods to piking. Very Happy
esoxjeff
esoxjeff

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:12 pm

Pikey_Mike wrote:I use 18lb mono, the water I fish has some real big momma's so it's justified as far as I'm concerned.
Got smashed up on 15lb once, I saw the fish before it bolted and broke me, was easy late 20's, maybe even mid 30, hard to say when they in the water, was deffo bigger than my pb (23lb 8oz).

EDIT: Was really strange with this fish, it seemed it didn't know what was happening and I thought I had it beat, it saw me when I had it almost landed then went ape and bolted off.....broke my 15lb mainline.
what test were your rods mate when you lost that fish just a theory mate Very Happy Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikey_Mike Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:47 pm

2 3/4 mate.

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:07 pm

i use 18lb sensor and trebles 8/6/4
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikey_Mike Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:27 am

stubbo wrote:
Pikey_Mike wrote:I use 18lb mono, the water I fish has some real big momma's so it's justified as far as I'm concerned.

what test were your rods mate when you lost that fish just a theory mate Very Happy Very Happy

What's the theory then? Rod too stiff so the line took the flak? Was 2 3/4 rod so I don't think that's the case, I can't dimsmiss the line may of been dammaged at the point of the break, deffinately possible. I think it may be more human error in not realising what I had on and not having my clutch set accordingly, crappy mistake to make, but I upped my line just incase for the future.

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:17 am

More likely the clutch being too tight than the rod.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Pikey_Mike Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:19 am

Exactly what I think it was, Andy. A crappy mistake on my part, I roamed the banks of the venue for weeks expecting to find a big dead pike but it never happened (had I found her I would of been extremely upset), so I assume she survived, and I really hope so as I want a re-match! Razz

I've beaten myself up about it a fair bit as it really was a fine specimen that I could of killed through a silly mistake.

Pikey_Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Lefty Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:12 pm

Fingers crossed that she's ok and that's why she hasn't been found belly up.

Would be great to hear you recaught her and removed your trace/line etc.. if she still has it attached that is. Somebody else may have caught her and done just that Smile
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:54 pm

Pikey_Mike wrote:15lb+ is the way to go, just make sure to use a wire trace, as for the trebles, a size 4 is a big hook for trebles, maybe a size 6 is better.

I use 18lb line and size 4 trebles. I could show you a size 4 that looks like it was set about with a pair of pliers by a 22 lber. After that I moved onto VMC size 4s and wouldn't go smaller for that reason. Maybe Scottish pike fight harder though.... Wink
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

NEED HELP - Monofilament line & HOOKS/TREBLES size. Empty :)

Post  n.d.r. Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:21 pm

Thank you, for all answers Smile

I wait new season for pikey and chub bounce but here now, is more frozen and ice Sad Maybe some ice fishing Wink

Have news about pike fishing?
n.d.r.
n.d.r.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down