PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More Hints and Tips on Pike Fishing

+6
Steve French
tootall
tackle tart
cavemandom
adie1200
Andy Webster
10 posters

Go down

More Hints and Tips on Pike Fishing Empty More Hints and Tips on Pike Fishing

Post  Andy Webster Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:02 pm

Last winter we had a thread for hints and tips on pike fishing. It was so popular the results were added to the website www.pikeangler.co.uk/articles/hints_and_tips

So I thought I'd start a new thread.

My Tip: If your baits have been sitting untouched on the bottom all day, try drifting one in mid water.

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

More Hints and Tips on Pike Fishing Empty Re: More Hints and Tips on Pike Fishing

Post  adie1200 Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Good tip that Andy Wink Wink Wink
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

More Hints and Tips on Pike Fishing Empty Re: More Hints and Tips on Pike Fishing

Post  Andy Webster Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Can't remember who said it to me...hmmm Laughing

Andy Webster

Back to top Go down

Post  cavemandom Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:39 pm

my tip is, when you buy any dead baits when using balsa sticks to pop-up, insert the balsa sticks into the dead bait before freezing...

cavemandom

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:18 pm

Don't be scared to try something new Wink
No matter how weird it might seem Very Happy

I was fishing with a few mates a few weeks ago when one of them ( a newbi to piking )
after casting his lure for a while and not getting anything he put a pike float on with the lure just the same as you would with a deadbait and cast into the river and let it drift down with the flow and after a couple of runs through he hit into a nice pike of just short or 20lb Shocked

Just goes to show that anything can work on the day Very Happy Very Happy
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:44 pm

when fishing deadbaits every few minutes twitch the bait back a couple of foot it can produce a fish or two
tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:43 pm

Don't buy Savage Gear trebbles... Shocked Embarassed

After having one straighten on me whilst playing a good fish a coupole of weekends ago I don't trust them at all now...
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  Steve French Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:06 pm

If you buy fresh fish to freeze, Sardines, Macky etc, cut up some of your old bait very finley, you can use fresh ones too for this, make sure the pieces are as small as a 5p piece, use a small freezer bag for each fish, put some of the pieces in the bag, along with a fresh fish, lay the fresh fish so that its laid on the pieces and freeze, there you have a bait with extra ground bait, when it thaws in the water the pieces remain around your bait Very Happy

Steve French

Back to top Go down

Post  tootall Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:18 pm

Steve French wrote:If you buy fresh fish to freeze, Sardines, Macky etc, cut up some of your old bait very finley, you can use fresh ones too for this, make sure the pieces are as small as a 5p piece, use a small freezer bag for each fish, put some of the pieces in the bag, along with a fresh fish, lay the fresh fish so that its laid on the pieces and freeze, there you have a bait with extra ground bait, when it thaws in the water the pieces remain around your bait Very Happy

Now there's a cracking idea mate Cool
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

Post  deadbait Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:16 pm

Steve French wrote:If you buy fresh fish to freeze, Sardines, Macky etc, cut up some of your old bait very finley, you can use fresh ones too for this, make sure the pieces are as small as a 5p piece, use a small freezer bag for each fish, put some of the pieces in the bag, along with a fresh fish, lay the fresh fish so that its laid on the pieces and freeze, there you have a bait with extra ground bait, when it thaws in the water the pieces remain around your bait Very Happy

that is a really good idea i will be trying that Very Happy
deadbait
deadbait

Back to top Go down

Post  cavemandom Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:54 pm

tootall wrote:

Now there's a cracking idea mate Cool
That is a good one that Steve,

cavemandom

Back to top Go down

Post  Alex Makk Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:04 pm

one of them oidz Magnets come in handy,,,,, dispite their small size thery are very strong and good for finding them hooks in the long grass,
Alex Makk
Alex Makk

http://alexmakk.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

More Hints and Tips on Pike Fishing Empty drifter float fishing

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:01 pm

Andy Webster wrote:Can't remember who said it to me...hmmm Laughing
me Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:07 pm

deadbait wrote:

that is a really good idea i will be trying that Very Happy
it works with a p.v.a. bag as well put a bit of fish oil in the bag first then just hook it on your bottom treble.............happy days bounce
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

More Hints and Tips on Pike Fishing Empty before freezing soft baits

Post  treble Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:26 pm

I bought some sardines from the supermarket added some red food colouring to them and pierced a hole from head through to the tail then threaded the wire trace through the bait in such a way that when winding the bait in its pointing in the right direction and may temp a pike when retrieving, then froze them. Now i have bait frozen and well pre-hooked.

treble

Back to top Go down

More Hints and Tips on Pike Fishing Empty ground bait

Post  stubbo Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:11 pm

try throwing in some groundbait around your float when your pike fishing it will bring in the small baitfish and that might bring in a feeding pike to snaffle your bait
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:32 pm

treble wrote:I bought some sardines from the supermarket added some red food colouring to them and pierced a hole from head through to the tail then threaded the wire trace through the bait in such a way that when winding the bait in its pointing in the right direction and may temp a pike when retrieving, then froze them. Now i have bait frozen and well pre-hooked.

had a good days fishing today although i lost 5 or 6 fish (full moon tonight). so i thought that my idea of threading the wire trace thro the sardine from tail out thro the head is a bad idea because once the bait had thawed, casting out caused the first treble to tear thro the bait and was lodged hidden in the baits head and for whatever reason the 2nd treble wasn't effective enough, ending up losing too many fish. i had some mackerel on aswell but the sardine was favoured. after losing the first 2 fish i let the 3rd take the bait for longer and that led to deep hooking which is a big no no.
so now im thinking of making my wire traces differently and sticking with sardine for a while, with the two trebles one just above the other and threading the trace thro the mouth and out thro the tail. the first hook should then hold its position covering the sardines face which shuold take the pressure of the cast and the second just hooked onto the head or gill, and maybe a thin piece of wire wrapped around the tail of the bait.

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:03 pm

treble wrote:
treble wrote:I bought some sardines from the supermarket added some red food colouring to them and pierced a hole from head through to the tail then threaded the wire trace through the bait in such a way that when winding the bait in its pointing in the right direction and may temp a pike when retrieving, then froze them. Now i have bait frozen and well pre-hooked.

had a good days fishing today although i lost 5 or 6 fish (full moon tonight). so i thought that my idea of threading the wire trace thro the sardine from tail out thro the head is a bad idea because once the bait had thawed, casting out caused the first treble to tear thro the bait and was lodged hidden in the baits head and for whatever reason the 2nd treble wasn't effective enough, ending up losing too many fish. i had some mackerel on aswell but the sardine was favoured. after losing the first 2 fish i let the 3rd take the bait for longer and that led to deep hooking which is a big no no.
so now im thinking of making my wire traces differently and sticking with sardine for a while, with the two trebles one just above the other and threading the trace thro the mouth and out thro the tail. the first hook should then hold its position covering the sardines face which shuold take the pressure of the cast and the second just hooked onto the head or gill, and maybe a thin piece of wire wrapped around the tail of the bait.

Hi treble,
I had two runs on sardines today and landed both. I used a pair of partridge doubles with the top hook in the head and the bottom hook in the vent area. The pike were hooked with the bottom double, one in the scissors and the other in the bony front of the mouth. I should also say that I was fishing well up in the water, about eighteen inches deep in 5 foot of water.

Andy Webster Very Happy

Andy Webster

Back to top Go down

Post  treble Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:20 pm

good stuff andy!
i was dead baiting with 3 rods all on the bottom between 10 to 40 ft deep. i landed 2 pike a 2lb'er and a 5lb'er seems to be alot of smaller pike these days in scotland and 2lb'ers are difficult to unhook.
im also thinking of making traces with one treble and a lead cup the same size and shape as the sardines head instead of the other treble. iv always used mackerel or herring but today was action all day and i didnt start fishing until 10.30 to 3.30

treble

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down