PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When do you take deadbaits out the freezer

+4
newie2010
stubbo
tootall
CRIB
8 posters

Go down

When do you take deadbaits out the freezer Empty When do you take deadbaits out the freezer

Post  CRIB Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:33 pm

I must have too much time on my hands, I wondered what timescale people have from taking baits out the freezer to fishing. The last few trips have produced runs after about 3 hours into the session, I travel 40 mins to the lake so baits are well frozen when I get there, as I am not using sardines I wonder if there would be an advantage having thawed baits ready when I get to the lake.
I have taken 4 baits out tonight ready for in the morning when I get to the lake & the rest will be taken out just before I leave as normal. Cool Cool
CRIB
CRIB

Back to top Go down

When do you take deadbaits out the freezer Empty Re: When do you take deadbaits out the freezer

Post  tootall Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:07 pm

Same morning for me - always like to use them from a frozen/semi-thawed state.
tootall
tootall

Back to top Go down

When do you take deadbaits out the freezer Empty Re: When do you take deadbaits out the freezer

Post  stubbo Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:05 pm

tootall wrote:Same morning for me - always like to use them from a frozen/semi-thawed state.
i normally use them frozen they cast better and stop on the hooks better they thaw out within minutes in the water cant see the point of thawing them out .........or am i missing something Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:09 pm

CRIB wrote:I must have too much time on my hands, I wondered what timescale people have from taking baits out the freezer to fishing. The last few trips have produced runs after about 3 hours into the session, I travel 40 mins to the lake so baits are well frozen when I get there, as I am not using sardines I wonder if there would be an advantage having thawed baits ready when I get to the lake.
I have taken 4 baits out tonight ready for in the morning when I get to the lake & the rest will be taken out just before I leave as normal. Cool Cool
itake a cool box with me they stop froze all day then they go back in the freezer if not used Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  newie2010 Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:42 am

same morning i leave..
newie2010
newie2010

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:04 pm

normally an hour before i go fishing

tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:17 pm

baits defrost quick enough once in the water anyway so i always take mine in a cool box and keep the lot frozen all day..... in fact most of the time they only come out of the freezer seconds before i go out of the door
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:46 am

robh107 wrote:baits defrost quick enough once in the water anyway so i always take mine in a cool box and keep the lot frozen all day..... in fact most of the time they only come out of the freezer seconds before i go out of the door

same here mate Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:01 pm

Bill Winship gave a talk to Selby PAC and later wrote a short article for the PAC magazine on using "fresh" baits instead of frozen. He stated that by switching to buying his bait "fresh" from a supermarket the day before his pike sessions and putting them in the fridge overnight rather than a freezer he upped his catch / runs rate by a huge amount. Something like 6 or 8 times (I can't quite remember the exact rate).

Andy

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  tackle tart Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:07 pm

now thats really interesting cause when zedding i prefer to use a fresh dead (ie live killed on the bank then cast out ) over a frozen bait

wouldn,t mind being able to read the article on this
tackle tart
tackle tart

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:27 pm

I tried it last winter and caught 3 doubles in a couple of hours on two occasions. I had forgotten about it this season...doh!

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

When do you take deadbaits out the freezer Empty Re-frozen deadbait

Post  Trevski Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:52 pm

I read with interest an article recently - think it was in Pike & Predator magazine ( not sure ), the idea being that the author thawed out his frozen baits, 'stabbed them up' to let the blood and juices leak, and then he Re-froze them again. He stated that he then cast them out frozen, allowing them to thaw which caused a cloud of attacting blood and juices to form around his bait.

This sounds like a great tactic and next time I'm out I'm defo giving it a go , i just wondered if anyone else did this and if so did they notice any catch rate improvement? bounce
Trevski
Trevski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down