PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John Wilson

+5
piketastic
paddy pike
onetoner
Richard Neath
Gerry_Pike
9 posters

Go down

John Wilson Empty John Wilson

Post  Gerry_Pike Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:17 am

I was watching John Wilson Pike fishing on Discovery Shed the other night and seen that he uses a glove to chin and handle his fish.

Personally i just get stuck in as putting on a glove is wasting time and distracting while trying to land a fish.

Does anyone else use such gloves?

Gerry_Pike

Back to top Go down

John Wilson Empty Gloves.

Post  Richard Neath Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:20 pm

Hello Gerry - I always used to use an old red gardening glove then, as I gained confidence, I stopped using anything.

BUT, the last few times I've been out, I've come back with scratches on my left index finger from, I presume, the gill rakers (I'm right handed) and, though not a big issue, they've been bloody sore on occassions! On my last trip out, I was releasing a 12/12 direct from the net and she got about half an inch of mesh between her front teeth. Stupidly, I prised her gob open with my right index finger, she bit and I ended up with 2 pretty deep holes in my fingert tip.

Bleed?? I've not seen as much blood for some time I can tell you! I had to sit for half an hour with bog roll pressed onto it to stop the bleeding. It was a really stupid thing to do (she was a right mean, aggressive, bad tempered Scottish pike with PMT I reckon) but it made me think of John Wilson and his filletting glove.

Daft as it sounds but, with a bit of a head shake, I could have lost the tip of my finger and, 3 miles drive from the nearest house, I could have been in a bit of trouble.

I think I might be taking one with me from now on.
Richard Neath
Richard Neath

http://www.richardneath.co.uk

Back to top Go down

John Wilson Empty Re: John Wilson

Post  onetoner Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:59 pm

No i never use a glove and land. 99% of my pike by hand,, i my opinion if you fish for pike now and again you are gonna get cut ; ) Laughing
onetoner
onetoner

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:02 pm

Totaly agree with onetoner, I did somthing stupid once when handling a rather big pike and then thought a glove would save my knuckles, But i have very big hands and tried to gill out a pike like i had done hundreds of times before and got the metal of the glove stuck on the Gill rakers, The glove as far as i am concerned is a no no, You cant feel the inside edge of the gill cover and that is a problem for both you and the Pike, Chuck the gloves in the bin, If you gill a pike correctly and take the weight properly with both hands they will very rarly kick off, Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

http://paddy-swift.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  piketastic Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:14 pm

I disagree with you Paddy my friend. Although I dont use a glove myself, I feel that if a pike angler doesnt feel comfortable without the glove. then he should wear it. Especially a piker gaining experience. I too have had lots of cuts over the last 30 years or so mainly my own fault, might I add, but throwing the glove in the bin, surely has to be personal preference. . ..
piketastic
piketastic

Back to top Go down

Post  onetoner Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:51 pm

I agree that if like my mate you like catching pike but are scared to handle them then i would refrain from fishing for them alone until you are confident enough to deal with them. Yes using a glove stops you bleeding but you dont know where your fingers are, and i would rather teach someone to b compitent in handling pike alone than terrified of chinning one.,.
onetoner
onetoner

Back to top Go down

Post  ginger321 Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:59 pm

gill raker cuts are inevitable at some stage. If i have any cuts on my chinning hand (left one) then i wear a glove made of very thin kevlar - sure i got it off soverign superbait but dont quote me - just to stop pike slime or whatever else getting into the cut as I havent found a plaster that'll stay on when hands are wet and slimy.
ginger321
ginger321

Back to top Go down

John Wilson Empty the gloves are off

Post  stubbo Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:36 am

its a confidence thing with the gloves and the more fish you catch the better you get at handling the pike , better to go out with someone who knows what there doing and make sure you have the right gear for the job i for one have never used a glove believe me you are going to get cut at one stage no matter how many years you have been at it. Shocked
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:26 pm

You may have misunderstood what i was on about as i dont think i even made myself clear, But an expierienced fisherman like John Wilson who i have seen useing a chain mesh type Glove is a little over the top and i personaly dont think they are good for the Pike or for the novice Piker, What is wrong with a pair of good leather gloves, Those metal gloves because of there construction are to stop you being cut with a knife, A pike will lose teeth or end up with broken gill rakes, Just my opinion and i am not always right, So i may need convincing Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:00 pm

paddy pike wrote:You may have misunderstood what i was on about as i dont think i even made myself clear, But an expierienced fisherman like John Wilson who i have seen useing a chain mesh type Glove is a little over the top and i personaly dont think they are good for the Pike or for the novice Piker, What is wrong with a pair of good leather gloves, Those metal gloves because of there construction are to stop you being cut with a knife, A pike will lose teeth or end up with broken gill rakes, Just my opinion and i am not always right, So i may need convincing Very Happy
your spot on paddy most of the time lol Laughing
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:56 pm

Hi Stubbo,
I know i am not always right, I even know that as good as i can be with pike i still cock-up and get a cut, This just reminds me that i am human and i should listen to my own advice haha, Very Happy
Hope your getting plenty mate, Er Pike that is haha Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  craigpix2000 Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:56 pm

ive never used a glove but know people that have used golfers gloves before tight fitting so can feel abit more Smile its all a confidence thing the more confidence u have the less chance of getting hurt but its just one of them things and u will eventually let your gaurd down and get nicked then u will realise its not that bad (once it stops bleeding) Laughing
craigpix2000
craigpix2000

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:44 am

craigpix2000 wrote:ive never used a glove but know people that have used golfers gloves before tight fitting so can feel abit more Smile its all a confidence thing the more confidence u have the less chance of getting hurt but its just one of them things and u will eventually let your gaurd down and get nicked then u will realise its not that bad (once it stops bleeding) Laughing
Now thats somthing for the younsters and new Pikers of a more mature age, A Golfers glove,, If they need one at all then thats the one, Not the metal chain rubbish, Very Happy What a good idea Craig Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Gerry_Pike Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:25 am

Really got the pot stirred with this topic.

Some excellant points and i can see both arguments. True its often a confidence thing and i have to agree that one who isnt confident in handeling a pike should not go it alone.

My main concern if for the fish and i believe that the use of chain cgloves like paddy says can damage the fish, whereas the use of fabric/Cevlar, is removing the protective slime which covers our impressive preditors.
I think that rubber/leather gloves will not give sufficient grip on the fish, a fish of any decent size, will wriggle free as the rubber and slime will not grip, leaving a fish flipping up the bank.

I think we as pike anglers should expect from time to time to get nips, cuts and puncture wounds. Thats why i always carry a first aid kit in the bag. And a pair of plyers, iv had the hook go right through my finger while the other still hooked in the fish.

Now i use barbless, Smile

Gerry_Pike

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:33 pm

Gerry,
When i have taken fishermen onto the Rivers and shown them how to fish for Pike, Well if its done correctly the glove would be in the shop, Like you barbless trebles is the way ahead, when the fish is on and ready to come to the net, This is somthing novice pikers should use, Get the pike into the net and bring it over to the unhooking matt, I then teach them how to get into the gill cover, Slide the net out from under the Pike, Then kneel either side of the Pike so as to restrict its movement, and now because the Pike is basicly locked between the knees and held with one hand it can not move still holding the pike i show them how to open the mouth and unhook the fish with the long nosed pliers, Making sure the hooks point towards the throught, so they come out very easily, With the pike now calm, The pictures can be taken and the pike can be put back into the net and then put back into the water,,
The point here is by useing the net and doing the unhooking this way there is no need for a glove, Then returning the Pike in the net to the water there is still no need for a glove, So dont teach people to gill the pike out of the water while they are learning as this is not good practice,
Very Happy How does everyone else teach new Pikers, Very Happy
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:08 pm

Gerry_Pike wrote:Really got the pot stirred with this topic.

Some excellant points and i can see both arguments. True its often a confidence thing and i have to agree that one who isnt confident in handeling a pike should not go it alone.

My main concern if for the fish and i believe that the use of chain cgloves like paddy says can damage the fish, whereas the use of fabric/Cevlar, is removing the protective slime which covers our impressive preditors.
I think that rubber/leather gloves will not give sufficient grip on the fish, a fish of any decent size, will wriggle free as the rubber and slime will not grip, leaving a fish flipping up the bank.

I think we as pike anglers should expect from time to time to get nips, cuts and puncture wounds. Thats why i always carry a first aid kit in the bag. And a pair of plyers, iv had the hook go right through my finger while the other still hooked in the fish.

Now i use barbless, Smile
not a stranger to that mate lol affraid affraid
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:12 pm

paddy pike wrote:Hi Stubbo,
I know i am not always right, I even know that as good as i can be with pike i still cock-up and get a cut, This just reminds me that i am human and i should listen to my own advice haha, Very Happy
no pike yet mate just a bit early for me yet been chasing bass in anglesea paddy there a bit thin on the ground this year Very Happy
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  paddy pike Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:27 pm

stubbo wrote:
paddy pike wrote:Hi Stubbo,
no pike yet mate just a bit early for me yet been chasing bass in anglesea paddy there a bit thin on the ground this year Very Happy
Couple of my mates have been telling me the cod are already in the mersey, Not much size to them yet, Not heard of anyone with a bass yet appart from one of the lads who put his nets out at Freshfield back of the squirell reserve, He had two in the nets biggest was 9LB, Would have been fun on a line,
paddy pike
paddy pike

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:46 pm

I can't understand anyone who uses gloves with experience.

If the wearer is a complete novice, then I suppose it's barely acceptable until they gain confidence.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down