PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why dead-baits cost so much?

+4
santahill
Bazz
Andy Macfarlane
Steve French
8 posters

Go down

Why dead-baits cost so much? Empty Why dead-baits cost so much?

Post  Guest Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:52 am

Hello all,

With all the talk of bait recently I wonder what your thoughts are regarding the cost of blast frozen dead-baits, why are they so expensive?

In my local tackle shop I have to pay £2.75 for a pack of 3 joey mackerel, 3 small roach, perch, smelt etc, which is a hell of a lot of money I think...

I always go to a fish mongers first, or the supermarket, where I can pick up 6 small mackerel for a little over £1.50, sure I can't get fresh water fish, but still, for sea baits I always get much better prices, £1.20 for 20-30 sprats, £1.00 for half a dozen sardines or 3 herrings...

Why do you think 'angling' dead-baits cost so much more???

Back to top Go down

Why dead-baits cost so much? Empty Re: Why dead-baits cost so much?

Post  Steve French Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:02 pm

Hi guys, like you Jeff i buy my dead baits usually from a fish monger or for Fresh water deads in bulk from Nev Ficklings tackle shop, i think they are so expensive because of their packaging, Pike Paks etc, the name Pike on the packaging to some people make them special, it never fails to amaze me that guys will go for them, of course there is the convenience of buying them where you buy tacle, put simply they are expensive because they can be and they sell, to some people at least.

Steve French

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:11 pm

Convenience mate....I think that's all it is plus some baits are hard to obtain from regular fishmongers/markets, like Lamprey, Scad, ideal-sized joeys, eels, roach, skimmers, blueys etc.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:05 am

I have a Fishmonger quite local to me but its always shut when i pass it Rolling Eyes There is a fish market in the city centre but its a pig to get to, on foot, by bus or car.. Its more convenient for me to go to the Tackle shop. My local Asda & Morrisons have a fish counter but ive only seen table sized fish & Mackerel. I like Sainsbury & shop there but it has a Deli but no fish counter.. Sad

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  santahill Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:29 am

sometimes the tackle shop can be cheaper (but mostly not) i worked out its cheaper to buy a bulk pack of sardines from thetackle shop than to buy the same amount from the supermarket i work in (even including my discount), although i did go to tescos the other day and get plenty of herrings and sprats down from £2-xx a kilo to 50p a kilo :-) can't get much better than that :-) also the fish counter in supermarkets also tend to sell mostly prepared (gutted) fish. when i get a new freezer can take the easy option and order it all i bulk of the net :-)
santahill
santahill

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:43 pm

i got a bargain off ebay. got 20 bags of baitbox dead baits, trout,smelt,course,1/2mac etc for £20 next day delivery, and arrived still frozen. keep me going for a few sessions, especially if i keep blanking lol! lol!

Back to top Go down

Why dead-baits cost so much? Empty why deadbaits cost so much

Post  robh107 Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:09 pm

this is precisely why i love using sardines (large frozen ones lol).... from my local makro superstore (a large wholesale warehouse place in hull) i can get a 1kg bag (average 15-18 baits) for as little as £2.20!!
i still buy other baits and i know of a place in hull (e.yorkshire) that sells them pretty cheap e.g. a pack of lamprey for £2.00, if anyone lives in the vicinity please feel free to pm me and i'll tell you where
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Bazz Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:28 pm

There is a Makro in Nottingham, come to think of it......a lage 'Cash & Carry' Store that sells just about anything. I will have to pay it a visit. I have bought clothes there before, you always have to add VAT to prices but its pretty good. Smile

Bazz

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:30 pm

yes bazz thats it.... look in the large freezers and you should find them if they have them
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:40 pm

MAD BAD ANGLER wrote:i got a bargain off ebay. got 20 bags of baitbox dead baits, trout,smelt,course,1/2mac etc for £20 next day delivery, and arrived still frozen. keep me going for a few sessions, especially if i keep blanking lol! lol!

Which seller did you get them from Mad Bad Angler?

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Webster Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:43 pm

robh107 wrote:this is precisely why i love using sardines (large frozen ones lol).... from my local makro superstore (a large wholesale warehouse place in hull) i can get a 1kg bag (average 15-18 baits) for as little as £2.20!!

Sounds like a business opportunity Rob

Mind you, maggots are cheap in Hull, so they say.

Andy Webster

http://www.pikeangler.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  MAD BAD ANGLER Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:16 pm

yes the sellers id was guardstraining . no other items for sale yet. i see the Gudgeon didnt get a bid.

Back to top Go down

Post  robh107 Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:49 pm

lol andy if there was enough demand round here for them i would do it.... no matter how much my missus kicked off when she found the freezer full of 'em, i'm confined to putting my baits in the bottom drawer only lol
and yes... maggots are quite cheap here.... even in summer you can get good quality maggots for £1.50 per pint, sometimes even less Very Happy
robh107
robh107

Back to top Go down

Post  JOEL Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:51 pm

a fun way to save money but still get some fishing in,is to go and do a bit of sea fishing in summer.and we all know waters that hold 10000 to many roach n skimmers.
JOEL
JOEL

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down