PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

exotic deads

+3
Andy Macfarlane
doug6364
matt859
7 posters

Go down

exotic deads Empty exotic deads

Post  matt859 Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:04 pm

Ive used some bizarre baits in the past from the fishmongers slab, john dory, gurnard, squid, baby octopi (hair rigged) and ive only ever caught on the squid and the gurnard. What exotic baits have you guys used and did you catch?
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:21 pm

ive used gurnard once or twice, but never caught on it.

i use the norm i guess, lamprey, mack, and ive caught loads on big trout ( 1lb ) as bait even in rivers where there arnt any trout. bit expensive mind, but well worth it.
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

exotic deads Empty Re: exotic deads

Post  Andy Macfarlane Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:44 pm

Exotic baits are just that. Exotic. You aren't going to come across a wonder bait by using something something new and wonderful.

I use brown trout, lamprey and smelt. Nothing exotic there and I'd put brownies and lamprey up against any exotic bait.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Andy Macfarlane wrote:Exotic baits are just that. Exotic. You aren't going to come across a wonder bait by using something something new and wonderful.

I use brown trout, lamprey and smelt. Nothing exotic there and I'd put brownies and lamprey up against any exotic bait.

I wasnt using them in order to find a new wonder bait and that wasnt the intention of my post, I was meerly asking a question. I would more than likely have purchased the exotics due to them being a lot cheaper or the only ones left, I normally use sardines sprats and small mackrel or if im fishing specifically for Zander I will use small roach or rudd.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamby78 Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:53 pm

The oracle has spoken Matt typical of him the guy never has anything positive to say always jumps on people's posts with a negative comment word for the day Tool
Lamby78
Lamby78

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:23 pm

matt859 wrote:
Andy Macfarlane wrote:Exotic baits are just that. Exotic. You aren't going to come across a wonder bait by using something something new and wonderful.

I wasnt using them in order to find a new wonder bait and that wasnt the intention of my post, I was meerly asking a question. I would more than likely have purchased the exotics due to them being a lot cheaper or the only ones left, I normally use sardines sprats and small mackrel or if im fishing specifically for Zander I will use small roach or rudd.

Fair enough. My mistake. It's a question that's been asked many times before and usually the person asking is looking for an original bait to try out, perhaps on a heavily pressurised water. I guess if price is the point, I'd maybe suggest freshwater mullet from the Chinese Wholesalers. Nice size, colour and durability and dirt cheap.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:49 pm

Lamby78 wrote:The oracle has spoken Matt typical of him the guy never has anything positive to say always jumps on people's posts with a negative comment word for the day Tool

Keep this civil please and lets not get into name calling andy has his right to his opinion as much as anyone on the site Wink

Calling him a tool could be construed as a personal attack which we don't allow on this site !!!

Wink Very Happy
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:46 am

ive used odd ones when they have been offered

gurnard, mullet etc

ive some dab in the freezer for a tidal stretch im planning on fishing, the rules state no coarse lives but if i can get a few flatfish on the maggot.....

as for truly exotic is there not a company that does them all the tropical things like spiny eels, bala sharks etc
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:39 am

Thanks for your reply Andy. It isnt a price issue, It was just a question to get some conversation going and it seems that I have aceived that at least lol. I have a Gurnard left in my freezer which is the most exotic fish Ive got, I have however got a guinea pig that will be used for Cats in the summer which is probably going to be the strangest bait ever. Can anyone beat that?
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:45 am

ive got an elephants trunk in the freezer. hopefully the pike will think its a large EEL !! lol! lol! lol! lol!

merry christmas one and all. ho, ho, ho ! santa santa santa
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  Lamby78 Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:08 am

adie1200 wrote:
Lamby78 wrote:The oracle has spoken Matt typical of him the guy never has anything positive to say always jumps on people's posts with a negative comment word for the day Tool

Keep this civil please and lets not get into name calling andy has his right to his opinion as much as anyone on the site Wink

Calling him a tool could be construed as a personal attack which we don't allow on this site !!!

Wink Very Happy
I was making the point Andy nine out of ten times throws in negative comments either to belittle or make the point he knows it all in my opinion theres no need he needs to cheer up as for Tool it was my word for the day no intention to offend (Where have i seen that before) Merry xmas Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Lamby78
Lamby78

Back to top Go down

Post  onetoner Sat Dec 24, 2011 4:22 pm

Ive tried a few ( not the norm baits) like dabs sea bream squid etc think i might also gave a gurnard in the freezer, i was even covering n stuffing baits with fish paste at one point lol. .
Now i try to focus on what's in the water im fishing i.e roach perch trout etc and thats what ill use.. but the stangest bait i ever used would have to be a dead duckling i found at a water a few years back.. with no succes Very Happy
onetoner
onetoner

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:15 pm

doug6364 wrote:ive got an elephants trunk in the freezer. hopefully the pike will think its a large EEL !! lol! lol! lol! lol!

merry christmas one and all. ho, ho, ho ! santa santa santa

dare I ask how youve got a trunk? Shocked
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:10 pm

well Matt, i used to be a wildlife warden in Africa, and i saw a dead Elephant, so off came the trunk cause i immediately thought of bait for pike .
bit of a sod to get back in the suitcase though, and you wouldnt believe the hassle i had explaining it to Customs !! lol! lol! lol!
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum