PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

carp tactics on pike

+2
plumb68
stubbo
6 posters

Go down

carp tactics on pike Empty carp tactics on pike

Post  stubbo Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:11 pm

the other week i went to a large lake in wales i always have a look at a few pegs first before i decide where to fish so i go down to the first peg to find 2 bivvys set up zipped up with the guys tucked up inside .On looking round the peg i noticed they had 4 rods each but the set up was obviously for carp but i guess these lads where after pike just wondered because they were fishing just with alarms at the front with no drop offs and how long would it take these guys on hearing the alarm wake up unzipp and take action to me sounds like a recipe for deep hooking to me piking is not carping or is it what do you think..........later on in the day when the bailiff came round he told me them lads had been there for 3 days without a fish .........alledgedly
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

carp tactics on pike Empty Re: carp tactics on pike

Post  plumb68 Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:17 pm

how do you know they where piking
plumb68
plumb68

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:20 pm

plumb68 wrote:how do you know they where piking
the bailiff told me mate they bought the ticket off him he spoke to them every day
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:53 pm

sounds like they should just stick to carping, cause they obviously know nothing about fishing for pike.......the prats !!
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:13 pm

doug6364 wrote:sounds like they should just stick to carping, cause they obviously know nothing about fishing for pike.......the prats !!
dont know why they were still tucked up mybe its a bit too cold for them..Laughing
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  hurricane Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:02 pm

I often do "sessions" for pike 24,48 and sometimes 72hrs,simply to save on all the hassles involved in travelling to and from the venue.
Having never found piking through the night to be that productive and not being able to settle due to concerns over fish safety,my approach now is to fish until I get tired,reel the rods in and get a good sleep,rods back out as soon as I wake.
No driving,no worries and maximum rod hours.
hurricane
hurricane

Back to top Go down

Post  big_d2008 Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:59 pm

doug6364 wrote:sounds like they should just stick to carping, cause they obviously know nothing about fishing for pike.......the prats !!

Why are they prats for using that set up? I agree prats for leaving them out overnight on that set up but fishing that set up can give just as good an indication as back biters long as you have a toght line. I always use a carp style set up on the drains and never had anymore deep hooking than with my back biters.
big_d2008
big_d2008

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:01 pm

big_d2008 wrote:

Why are they prats for using that set up? I agree prats for leaving them out overnight on that set up but fishing that set up can give just as good an indication as back biters long as you have a toght line. I always use a carp style set up on the drains and never had anymore deep hooking than with my back biters.
what zipped up tight in a bivvy its a recipe for desaster mate you need to be on top of the rods when piking these guys were fast asleep i could here one of them snoring ........madness
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

carp tactics on pike Empty caro tactics on pike

Post  doug6364 Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:08 pm

Sorry big d but i cant see how you can get a proper indication of a back bite fishing with baitrunner on. i just cant see it at all. confused

Thought...........if using 3 oz + leads then yes you wouldnt get a back bite indication anyway, with open spool they dont feel any resistance at all................if they are finicky. if i did fish like that i would use back bite indicators as a visual thing.
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:39 pm

doug6364 wrote:Sorry big d but i cant see how you can get a proper indication of a back bite fishing with baitrunner on. i just cant see it at all. confused

Thought...........if using 3 oz + leads then yes you wouldnt get a back bite indication anyway, with open spool they dont feel any resistance at all................if they are finicky. if i did fish like that i would use back bite indicators as a visual thing.
you get same indiction with front alarms as back as long as you got a swinger or back drop on,even more with a bigger lead Smile but you allways getbetter indication with a float but thats no good if you wrapped up in bag with heater on in bivvy!
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:56 pm

Exactly Nick, cause it sounded like the numptys werent using anything apart from the baitrunner and a buzzer, or am i wrong about that ??
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  nickcarpy Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:07 pm

doug6364 wrote:Exactly Nick, cause it sounded like the numptys werent using anything apart from the baitrunner and a buzzer, or am i wrong about that ??
no you are 100%right,they do need some sort of indication like a swinger,monkey climber,drop back in case the fish swims back,there is a old thread somewhere on about bigger leads are better than small ones somewhere on here?i would allways fish 3 plus leads any distance for better bite indication Very Happy
nickcarpy
nickcarpy

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:10 pm

doug6364 wrote:Exactly Nick, cause it sounded like the numptys werent using anything apart from the baitrunner and a buzzer, or am i wrong about that ??
dont think it would have mattered doug what ever they where useing ....they were in the land of nod mate that was my point that type of approuch to fishing really annoys me......
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:13 pm

Me too Stubbo. They would never get out of their snug bivvy in time and there goes another deep hooked pike. IRRESPONSIBLE MORONS !
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  big_d2008 Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:04 pm

doug6364 wrote:Sorry big d but i cant see how you can get a proper indication of a back bite fishing with baitrunner on. i just cant see it at all. confused

Doug, when fishing drains I only use a 1 oz lead to tighten against and i use front weighted swing indicators work exactly the same if you get a back bit the weight drops and the buzzer goes. But dnt agree with sleeping when piking anyway think you should be awake and vigilant.
big_d2008
big_d2008

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:33 pm

I see where your coming from big d. Yep, always should be awake for piking !
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:14 pm

doug6364 wrote:I see where your coming from big d. Yep, always should be awake for piking !
look at it this way would you use pike tactics for catching carp......i think not
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:19 pm

Thats one way of looking at it Stubbo !!
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down