PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

float fishing deadbait

5 posters

Go down

float fishing deadbait Empty float fishing deadbait

Post  tomthepiker Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:25 pm

this may seem stupid question to some but im bit of novice so be kind, but can i float half a mackrell about a foot of the floor its just when i think about it it may seem weird to a pike that theres half a fish floating about and am i right in thinking you use those red pop ups to acheive the same affect? Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

float fishing deadbait Empty float fishing deadbait

Post  doug6364 Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Mmmm, Tom, where do we start ??

Its not as daft as you think. You can fish deadbaits off the bottom as described under a float. I would personally fish with the bait on the bottom under a sliding float ( better presentation ), or pop it up but on a leger rig as i havnt fished with a deadbait a foot off the bottom under a float. Cant think why you would want to really ?

If i was using a Drifter float i would as a dead looks a bit lively being moved in the wind but i would set it more than a foot off bottom. ( Gets caught in weed etc otherwise) .

I think you would be better off keeping it simple. Deads straight on the bottom always produces big fish. On pressured waters, yes, you might have to try something different. Livvies suspended under a float no probs mate.

Hope this helps................Remember, keep it simple and it will always catch fish. trust me, i,m a Doctor ! lol!
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

float fishing deadbait Empty Re: float fishing deadbait

Post  tomthepiker Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:01 pm

well thats what i thought i normally just have it on bottom, the foot thing was just me improvising because i have no pop ups :lol!:i was reading this pike book i got from santa and they are popping up half a mackerel? so i was thinking kind of do the same but just using a float, the water i was thinking of doing it on is really still so it wont drift anywhere its not the drifting i was wondering about its basically why they pop it up for? Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:05 pm

they use deadbait floater stick not the pop up things my mistake Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

float fishing deadbait Empty float fishing deadbaits

Post  doug6364 Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:39 pm

I use the fox pop ups ( red ) and bigger polys for bigger baits. I do pop up half mack and smelt ( leger rig ), but ive never caught on a pop up !! I keep trying cause its sposed to be a good technique and loads of the lads on here swear by it.
All my pike have come from bottom baits or Livvies when i used to use them. I think popping baits up adds something ? Its only the past 3 months ive been doing it, yet ive always had good fish on the bottom, and if i dont catch one soon on a pop up, i will revert back to the bottom baits. They will always work well.

Dont forget Tom, Drifters work on still water. The wind does the work and sends it off around the lake.

doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:59 pm

ok i gotcha now, you dont know unless you ask lol! im heading out tmw with myy dad and bro see if i can help him get his first pike so im trying to get all clued up lol! il stick with the deads on the floor i think then, il ledger one going to use my new fox pike swinger bought it today Very Happy and i will float the other on the deck aswell and i thought id let him spin near me, got all areas covered then lol!
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:06 pm

Thats it Tom. Keep working it.

Also, dont just leave a bait sitting there in one spot for hours. Just a small move of the bait every now and then can often induce a take ! ( just lift the rod high, pull towards you a bit, and then let it settle again ).
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:38 pm

handy tips man just read your reply on perch i think my dads been at the little compost heep he has started to build to get some worms so fingers crossed for him, you will have to start charging for all these tips soon lol! lol!
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:40 pm

Invoice is on its way already Tom !! lol! lol!

Doesnt matter how long youve been fishing, its surprising how many tips you can pick up from chatting or asking people. Your always learning Tom.
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:27 pm

Tom don't be afraid to try float fished deads at any depth I've had some good pike with baits at anywhere from 6in from the bottom to just under the surface with just enough weight just above the bait to keep it down and let it move about with the current / wind Wink
Can be deadly on the right day Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:31 pm

As Adie said Tom, dont be afraid to try something. The key to success is to vary stuff. What suits one water, doesnt mean it will work on another.
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:33 pm

cheers guys will try all this out tmw Very Happy Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  adie1200 Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:35 pm

Thats true Doug Wink
P.S Tom make sure you have long trace on right up to your float at least as the pike will often come at your bait from underneath and might grab your line as well Wink
adie1200
adie1200
Admin

http://pikecarpandcoarse.proboards.com/index.cgi

Back to top Go down

Post  tomthepiker Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:37 pm

adie1200 wrote:Thats true Doug Wink
P.S Tom make sure you have long trace on right up to your float at least as the pike will often come at your bait from underneath and might grab your line as well Wink
ok cool will do Very Happy
tomthepiker
tomthepiker

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich_ Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:13 am

tomthepiker wrote:when i think about it it may seem weird to a pike that theres half a fish floating about

There's nothing more weird than some of the lures we use, yet the pike still take them readily, and most of them look like nothing on Earth. When you think about it , a pike would never come across a half mackerel or sardine naturally if we didn't use them as bait, on or off the bottom. I've often had half baits taken while I've been reeling in. I bet we are more concerned about what looks "naturally" presented than what the pike are most times?

Rich_

Back to top Go down

Post  barbels1 Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:16 am

I'll generally pop up on waters with weed on the bottom, that said I had a good 20 last year on a dead roach fished mid water under a live bait bung. If popping up over a clear bottom I generally put a couple of ssg's next the upline treble so the bait stands up on it's tail. Don't ask why, I just do it and it catches fish for me. Alway jack 'em up with a bit of oil
barbels1
barbels1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down