PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flurocarbon leader

+3
matt859
doug6364
Peewee
7 posters

Go down

Flurocarbon leader Empty Flurocarbon leader

Post  Peewee Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:34 am

Hi,
Was talking to a chap about using about 10'of fluorocarbon attached to braid main line, then attaching trace. Anybody else using this ?
Tied using Albright special knot, just wandering if people think it makes any differance to wary pike.

Peewee

Peewee

Back to top Go down

Flurocarbon leader Empty flurocarbon leader

Post  doug6364 Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:34 am

Personally mate, i wouldnt have thought it would make any difference whatsoever, but i may be wrong !

Ive fished for pike over 30yrs, and never had to go down any route, other than the "norm" so to speak.

I think sometimes people can over complicate matters when theres really no need. Keep it simple, thats what ive always found. Works for me.
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Flurocarbon leader Empty Re: Flurocarbon leader

Post  Peewee Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:30 pm

Cheers Doug
Using it at moment, but having another knot in the line (braid to fluro) has the doubts creeping in.
Perhaps your right, no need to over complicate
thanks Very Happy

Peewee

Back to top Go down

Post  matt859 Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:47 pm

yeah I reckon the chap you were talking too has been bitten by all the hype that is aimed at carp anglers by the big companies. keep it simple and the least amount of knots in your set up the better in my book.
matt859
matt859

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:30 pm

are the trebles invisible as well?

just use the braid straight through.
noodle
noodle

http://pacregion31.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:22 am

I also use about 6ft of 50lb flouro added to my braid. It seems after 2 seasons that on the majority of waters it makes no diffeerence what so ever. but on the gin clear waters of the irish midlands I get twice as many runs on the Flouro rod as I do the standard ones. I do wory about the knot though but nothings gone wrong yet after 50 or so Pike upto 21lb Very Happy
lowdouble
lowdouble

http://www.gwencol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:58 pm

if it boosts your confidence why knot ...........but you must be creating a weak link with the adjoining knot
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Any knot is a weak link stubbo, but when your using 50lb flouro and 50lb power pro the knot strength is still going to be greater than anything I catch Very Happy
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  Andy Macfarlane Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:17 pm

I wouldn't having used braid and Hi-Viz yellow tournament mono right through for years. Then there's the anodised red hooks, swivels, clips, coated wires, paperclips, leads, gubbins and all the other stuff patently visible to pike.
Andy Macfarlane
Andy Macfarlane

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:28 pm

We will never know how many fish have refused our baits because of paper clips, leads and gubbins ect. Its just something else to try and it keeps you from going stagnent in your fishing.
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:28 pm

lowdouble wrote:We will never know how many fish have refused our baits because of paper clips, leads and gubbins ect. Its just something else to try and it keeps you from going stagnent in your fishing.

or how many are put off by a chunk of fc

it really isnt invisible look at it from below in water and you will see what i mean
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Tue Feb 14, 2012 7:11 am

Couldnt agree more Noodle, but when you lay them in the water you can see the braid far more visibly than the flouro. Dont you try anything other than the normal run of the mill rigs? And yes I will never know how many fish turn their noses up at the flouro. In coarse fishing the flouro helps a great deal, why would Pike be so different?
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:56 am

lowdouble wrote:Couldnt agree more Noodle, but when you lay them in the water you can see the braid far more visibly than the flouro. Dont you try anything other than the normal run of the mill rigs? And yes I will never know how many fish turn their noses up at the flouro. In coarse fishing the flouro helps a great deal, why would Pike be so different?
hi there low double i think most people who have fished for pike for a fair number of years have tried all the methods involved in all the differant rigs , methods me for one have tried them . but you keep using the ones that consistantly catch you fish which for me are the simple no whistles and bells type of fishing keep it simple so they say think all this hype over flouro was aimed at the carping market to catch them oversized force fed beasts ..................
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  lowdouble Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:25 am

Yeah you are probably right, but it doesnt do any harm to try. I also think it gives you a little bit of forgiveness when playing a pike under the rod tip on braid, adding a little bit of stretch. Its only my theory but it works for me Very Happy
Theres another an added bonus too for using a yard of Flourocarbon and thats fish welfare. When a pike rolls on braid (and it happens often enough) theres a real problem of infection with scales ripped off, flouro is slippy so does very little harm to the Pikes head/body. Every little helps Very Happy
lowdouble
lowdouble

Back to top Go down

Post  noodle Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:51 pm

lowdouble wrote:Couldnt agree more Noodle, but when you lay them in the water you can see the braid far more visibly than the flouro. Dont you try anything other than the normal run of the mill rigs? And yes I will never know how many fish turn their noses up at the flouro. In coarse fishing the flouro helps a great deal, why would Pike be so different?

as it happens i use a lot of flouro from 1.2lb for bait fishing all the way through to 180lb for some things in pike fishing ill take a pic of my standard glacial sort of rig in a bit for fishing in rocky waters

its anything but run of the mill

most of the innovations seem to serve no purpose in reality just people thinking too much about non existant problems, point in case on the las site im asking an awful lot of questions about the ul side of things sub 5gm in particular and how things work and what is just a sales pitch.

comes from carp fishing, i think the over complication of things leads to more problems than it solves

if i was unreceptive
noodle
noodle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down