PikeAngler
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

deep hooked pike

+6
doug6364
tomthepiker
Eric Edwards
hurricane
matt859
drew321
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

deep hooked pike - Page 2 Empty Re: deep hooked pike

Post  welsh piker Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:52 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:Don't be too quick to condemn. Traces you find in pike are usually the result of people cracking off or losing their gear on a snag. There's much you can do to prevent this but all of us have problems from time to time. Who hasn't had a nick in their line that they've failed to spot for instance?
One thing that's happened to me several times over the years is a bite-off well up the line. This comes about when a pike simply swims across your line with its mouth open and slices through it with its teeth.

Eric, I'm not condemning anyone. Yes we all had a line go, through snag's etc, something which is out of our control, but there are people out there that could be better prepared when fishing for pike..
welsh piker
welsh piker

Back to top Go down

Post  Eric Edwards Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:53 pm

You're right, and the one thing people need to do is to use strong tackle. There are far too many heroes around telling people that 12lb line and 20lb wire is the right stuff.
Eric Edwards
Eric Edwards

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:22 pm

Eric Edwards wrote:You're right, and the one thing people need to do is to use strong tackle. There are far too many heroes around telling people that 12lb line and 20lb wire is the right stuff.
18lb mono 30lb wire if you do get snagged you have a chance of pulling it out plus if you do hook that fish of a life time you have got some control....that is a big problem people using to light a line 12lb is just not up to it......
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  doug6364 Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:31 pm

stubbo wrote:
Eric Edwards wrote:You're right, and the one thing people need to do is to use strong tackle. There are far too many heroes around telling people that 12lb line and 20lb wire is the right stuff.
18lb mono 30lb wire if you do get snagged you have a chance of pulling it out plus if you do hook that fish of a life time you have got some control....that is a big problem people using to light a line 12lb is just not up to it......

50lb braid or 15lb mono with 28lb trace wire for me. Never had a snap off or any problems with any of those.
doug6364
doug6364

Back to top Go down

Post  stubbo Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:52 pm

doug6364 wrote:
stubbo wrote:

50lb braid or 15lb mono with 28lb trace wire for me. Never had a snap off or any problems with any of those.
yes doug a minimum of 15lb line is my advice to anyone fishin for pike stepped mine up this season to 18lb esp mono good line
stubbo
stubbo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2